Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 09:12 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72900 [1]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Given Kudos: 467
Send PM
Re: GMAT Online - debrief + retake? [#permalink]
Hi,

I could see you have a very good verbal score. May I know what materials you used for it?

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb - thanks for your response. Yes I am a bit torn between a retake or not. 700 just feels like a bit of an anticlimactic score - but at the same time, I am realistic on the upside potential :think:

monikakumar - sure happy to discuss materials. So English is not my native language, but I studied in English (at uni) and work in the UK. For my overall prep (Q and V), I used Veritas - which I think is fine as a baseline package. On the verbal, I spent no additional time on RC or CR other than running through the OG questions. RC is probably difficult to improve from "studying" because of the skills that it captures. That being said: for both RC and CR, after running through a bunch of the OG questions and official mocks, I think you get a very good feel for the usual tricks and what correct answers typically look like. For SC, I had a slightly different approach. I was never taught English from a "formal" point of view with grammar rules and all the jargon. Veritas material is ok, but I decided to start with the MGMAT SC book, which is a lot more comprehensive and starts at the basics. In addition to that, I can strongly recommend GMAT club's Ninja verbal videos on youtube (recordings from previous live sessions). I think they are all great, and it helps to switch up the learning medium (from reading to watching/listening). I think my key take-away from all of the GMAT prep (both Q and V) is that it's fine to use external sources (e.g. Veritas, MGMAT etc.) for some of the basic knowledge. Treat their questions as content-specific drills to hone a narrower skill set. But as I got closer to the exam, I only used official questions. 3rd party questions can be ok, but only GMAC can capture the obscurity of the real questions that you will see on exam day. For verbal, I found that it helps to read all of the official answer explanations.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
As an interesting aside: I spent 30-45 minutes on the MBA live help chat today.
Wanted to check if it's possible to retake without having to wait the usual 16 days given that my first test was online. Figured no harm in checking.
After much back and forth with some fairly imprecise answers from their side, they actually confirmed that since the previous test was online - I could retake it before the 16 days are up... So I asked the help person to confirm it one more time and then made sure that I both: i) emailed the official transcript from their website to my own account, and ii) kept a pdf version of the chat as a backup.
Not sure if this is in line with other people's experience, I must admit that I expected them to say that the 16-days "break" would still have to be observed.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22070 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Asze2807,

Thank you for sharing. Based on your practice test scores alone I don’t see any reason not to give the GMAT another shot. If for any reason you don’t beat your initial 700 score, then you can just cancel. If you do decide to retake and need some advice, feel free to reach out.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep - thanks ! i already used target test prep (1 month trial) to smash certain weaker topics in my Quant. Very good content and questions!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
hey Asze2807

Congratulations on your score!

A couple of questions:
1. Did you use any practice test other than Official?
2. How will you compare difficulty level of OG questions and Official practice test to the Gmat exam?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Asze2807,

First off, a 700/Q47 is an outstanding Score, so it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. As such, a retest might not be necessary. Depending on the Schools that you plan to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

If you do choose to retest though, then your focus should be on picking up those extra points in the Quant section. You clearly have really strong Verbal skills, but Schools won't find a V42 or V43 to be a lot better than a V40 (whereas a Q49 - Q51 would be a notable step above a Q47 - and would be far more helpful in terms of proving that you can handle the 'academic side' of any Program).

The good news is that with a Q47, you almost certainly have all of the math knowledge you need to score higher, so your focus would just need to shift to Quant Tactics and training to take advantage of all of the built-in patterns that appear every day on the Official GMAT.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37319 posts