Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 930 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
If one puts in the effort and time, self study is sufficient. The tested math and verbal ability is at high school level. If you wanna apply MBA, then u must have already passed high school, I believe. So, it is definitely within everyone's ability to score well as long as you try.

Well, it does not hurt if you want to spend money on courses. Just as you can make your own burgers cheaply with 2 pieces of bread and 1 piece of meat, you can also order a piece of $5 burger from a restaurant, and the one from the restaurant probably does not even tastes as nice as yours does.
but some people do not mind throwing away the $5 and wait at home rather than cook.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:HBS Stanford Kellogg Wharton Tuck MIT Sloan
 Q51  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
i agree with tennis ball, self study is sufficient. However the books (and i suppose the courses) give you a "feel" of the type of questions asked. GMAT tests certain concepts repeatedly, and practicing these kinds of problems helps improve your score..and as pelihu puts it so eloquently, 50 points can translate to a whole load of money..which is well worth the investment.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey guys, perhaps self study is enough for english speakers, but for people like me the verbal part is quite hard. I took the Gmat 2 years ago and scored twice a 49Q and 33V and 32V respectively, to get this Verbal score I needed to study very hard (and taking some classes also), but since I have a math background the 49Q was not a nightmare to get.
Now that I have a much better english (in terms of exposition to the language), I think that it would be easier to me to increase my score.

Perhaps that "phobia" mostly comes from non native english speakers, and those who push themselves to the limit.

"Gmaters" are not only people from US, Canada, UK, Australia and so on, and "lucky" us that the business language in the world is English, imagine studying german to the GMAT :shock: :shock: :shock: !!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Phobia [#permalink]
Well, my sister went to the University of Chicago's graduate business school in 1991, she scored around a 650 with a high Quant score and low verbal. She just has poor verbal skills that show to this day. She's a VP with GE and has years of international business experience. Her undergrad was in Chemical Engineering. She earns quite a bit, but not the millions you are all fantasising about. I had no intention of applying to the Univ of Chicago, much to her dismay. A top 10 school will give you connections, but it won't give you talent. There are many heads of corporations that have MBA's from public universities and small private colleges. You may find that you have a lot in common with college atheletes who think they are going to "go pro" because they fit the "pro model". Very few, if any of you are going to make it into your "dream school", so be prepared to have an adequate alternative and prepare yourself emotionally. You may find that you will have an enriching and fruitful career with an MBA from a lower tier school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Re: Phobia [#permalink]
hoffmanuno wrote:
Well, my sister went to the University of Chicago's graduate business school in 1991, she scored around a 650 with a high Quant score and low verbal. She just has poor verbal skills that show to this day. She's a VP with GE and has years of international business experience. .

Does Creighton have a finance concentration? I am from Omaha too. I am considering Tippie for right now.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Tajik4GMAT [#permalink]
Yes, they do offer several finance course for your electives, depending on what you want to focus on. The admission process is simple and straight forward. The faculty are very helpful and insightfull. Most of the students are professionals, so you get the benefit of experience in class without too many recent grads with no clue. Check out Creighton's website. The staff in the admin office are very friendly and helpful.
GMAT Club Bot
Tajik4GMAT [#permalink]