Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 13:59 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 13:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 800 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72912 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: GMAT Practice Exam Score Regression: Need Advice [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I think I may have a guess…. If You started studying six months ago…. That may be part of the reason. I’m not sure if your memory is different but many people only retain things for so long. I think with your observing is you forgetting things that you’ve learned in March and April.

I’m not saying you’re going to forget how to do add, but you probably will forget some of the traps and some of the methods you’ve learned, basically things you don’t use a whole lot is what we get forgotten… the ideal prep timeframe is about 3 to 4 months in my opinion based on how my mind works at least. I can keep things together for that long and I can focus and I can exert effort but once you change your focus and especially something as exciting and something as demanding as wedding planning, I can definitely see your mind very naturally pushing out quadratic system with cake flavors, which frankly are much more exciting things. Congratulations on this very exciting event and the big change in your life!

My suggestion for you would be to find a stretch of time about six weeks to eight weeks when you can refocus. Finish the course in one stretch and do some additional review of what you’ve done early on and that should get you to what you’re looking for.

PS. at the same time, seeing your highest quantitative score was not quite all the way up there, I think you could benefit from going through the quant section again, selectively, focusing on some of the things you hate and some of the things you are not good at. We all have those areas… the first step is to accept you have them and accept that you need help and focus on fixing them. Saying things such as I’m not good at math is not really helpful. Nobody is born good at math everyone can learn so don’t disqualify yourself right away, give yourself a chance and change your mindset. You even proved a lot already in quant. What’s stopping you now? 👍

This would be my recommendation.

bshahollari wrote:
Hi everyone!

I am sure most of you have come across numerous posts like this, but I currently need some advice from people who have experienced what I am currently experiencing.

I have been studying for the GMAT since March of this year, although the last two months I have been planning my wedding for this upcoming March, so I have been a little all over the place. I am using Target Test Prep and really like it. I am almost 70% through the course and still need to finish verbal (I have finished all quant).

The first GMAT practice exam I took was when I was just starting to study to get a sense of where I was at. I got a 430 (QR 17 | VR 31).
The second practice exam I took was a couple of months ago and I got a 540 (QR 30 | VR 34).
The third practice exam I took was a few weeks ago and I got a 500 (QR 31| VR 28).
I re-set the first practice exam and took it again this past weekend and scored 480 (QR 29 | VR 27).
I am shooting for at least a mid-600 score to get into the program I want and if it helps, English is not my first language.

Am I hitting a plateau? Is this normal? Am I not studying as effectively as I thought? I am feeling a little discouraged as I have been studying consistently for the last 6-7 months (minus travel) and feel like I am not getting anywhere. I go through all the questions I get wrong and try to understand the solution. I dedicate at least two hours each day on top of working full time and try to study a little more than that on weekends.

Any advice on how I can learn better so I can start seeing an improvement? I truly want to learn more effectively; I don't want to just memorize materials and shoot for a higher score. I was hoping to apply for the early round which is Dec 4th, but feel like this deadline is not attainable right now.

If you have experienced what I am experiencing, I would love to hear from you. I really appreciate your time. Thank you so much in advance.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V47
GRE 1: Q154 V152
Send PM
I appreciate this 🤗
moto x3m
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V45
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
bshahollari wrote:
Hi everyone!

I am sure most of you have come across numerous posts like this, but I currently need some advice from people who have experienced what I am currently experiencing.

I have been studying for the GMAT since March of this year, although the last two months I have been planning my wedding for this upcoming March, so I have been a little all over the place. I am using Target Test Prep and really like it. I am almost 70% through the course and still need to finish verbal (I have finished all quant).

The first GMAT practice exam I took was when I was just starting to study to get a sense of where I was at. I got a 430 (QR 17 | VR 31).
The second practice exam I took was a couple of months ago and I got a 540 (QR 30 | VR 34).
The third practice exam I took was a few weeks ago and I got a 500 (QR 31| VR 28).
I re-set the first practice exam and took it again this past weekend and scored 480 (QR 29 | VR 27).
I am shooting for at least a mid-600 score to get into the program I want and if it helps, English is not my first language.

Am I hitting a plateau? Is this normal? Am I not studying as effectively as I thought? I am feeling a little discouraged as I have been studying consistently for the last 6-7 months (minus travel) and feel like I am not getting anywhere. I go through all the questions I get wrong and try to understand the solution. I dedicate at least two hours each day on top of working full time and try to study a little more than that on weekends.

Any advice on how I can learn better so I can start seeing an improvement? I truly want to learn more effectively; I don't want to just memorize materials and shoot for a higher score. I was hoping to apply for the early round which is Dec 4th, but feel like this deadline is not attainable right now.

If you have experienced what I am experiencing, I would love to hear from you. I really appreciate your time. Thank you so much in advance.

Hello,

I find your post quite interesting, and I'd like to contribute my thoughts. Before diving into GMAT specifically, let's break down the fundamentals of exam preparation in general. There are three key components to successful exam prep:

1. Understanding the Fundamentals
2. Practice
3. Mocks
These three steps apply to nearly any exam worldwide, but interestingly, we often observe significant variations in scores among individuals who follow these steps. Why is that?

Understanding the Fundamentals: This is the foundation of your preparation. When you're tackling quant concepts or verbal questions like assumption queries in Critical Reasoning, are you genuinely comprehending the basics, or are you merely striving to grasp enough to solve specific questions? Many people tend to do the latter. A litmus test for whether you truly understand the fundamentals is your ability to tackle new question types that assess the same core concepts. If you struggle with these new questions, there might be a gap in your understanding. It's crucial to solidify your grasp of the basics. For those who cannot enroll in a test prep program or opt for private tutoring, there are excellent GMAT prep books available, such as Powerscore Bible or Manhattan Guides, which are packed with fundamental knowledge. If reading isn't your preferred method, consider seeking help from a private tutor to master the basics.

Practice: This is where significant improvement happens. However, it's important to remember two key principles. First, practicing questions of the same difficulty level won't lead to substantial progress. You need to treat it like training a muscle – steadily increase the difficulty level as you become more comfortable. Second, always maintain an error tracker. You can utilize the Error Log on GMAT Club or customize it with additional columns, including the concept tested, reasons for getting a question wrong, and whether you've reviewed those concepts.

Mocks: This is the final stage of your preparation and arguably the most crucial. But how should you approach taking mock exams? Simulate the actual GMAT experience by sitting for the entire duration with unwavering focus. However, taking a mock is just half the job. Afterward, meticulously analyze every mistake, document every concept you missed, and revise these concepts before taking another mock.

Now, let's delve into some softer aspects of GMAT preparation:

Consistency and Planning: GMAT demands consistency. I've worked with many students who were consistent for a month but then abandoned their prep, forcing them to start over, sometimes leading to years of delay. Consistency is challenging to maintain, so it must stem from intrinsic motivation.

Productivity: Effective study sessions are key. Minimize distractions while studying. Remember, the number of hours you put in does not necessarily equate to productive hours.

Find a Study Buddy: Having a shared goal with others can help keep you on track and motivated.

Relax: Remember that GMAT is conquerable. Maintain a positive mindset during your prep and try to enjoy the process rather than seeing it as a burden.

To wrap it up, I want to emphasize that success in this journey is within your reach. The GMAT is a conquerable exam, and with the right strategies, achieving your target scores is well within your grasp. I trust that these insights will be valuable as you prepare. You've got this!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone!
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22073 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi bshahollari,

I'm sorry to hear how your prep has been going. Regarding how to move forward with your studying, here is an article you may find helpful:

The Best Way to Study for the GMAT
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V44
GRE 1: Q165 V163
Send PM
I recommend finding a period of about six to eight weeks where you can dedicate your focus to completing the course in one go. Additionally, take some time for extra review of the earlier material, and this should help you achieve your goal.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Many business schools employ the GMAT, a standardized test, as part of their admissions procedure.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72912 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
GMAT Practice Exam Score Regression: Need Advice [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jenniferlopez1868 wrote:
Many business schools employ the GMAT, a standardized test, as part of their admissions procedure.

Wow. I’ve been waiting for years to see Jennifer Lopez join gmatclub. My dreams have finally come true!

It is a pity she’s supposed to spam however 😞

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
This post highlights the introduction of a new game mode called Primaries in The Political Machine 2024. It emphasizes the significance of United States primaries in selecting candidates for the general election and shaping the overall electoral landscape. By offering players the opportunity to engage in alternative primary scenarios, the game aims to provide a unique and engaging experience beyond the traditional presidential focus.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
When preparing for the GMAT, it's normal to reach plateaus, especially after some time spent on it. The GMAT is a special kind of exam that evaluates not just your knowledge but also your capacity for critical thought and reasoning under time constraints. Therefore, improving your problem-solving abilities is just as important as memorization of content.

Given your scores, it seems like there might be a few areas worth focusing on:
  1. Verbal Skills: Since verbal isn't your native language, it can be a little harder for you. Concentrate on enhancing your knowledge of English grammar and colloquial idioms. To increase your reading comprehension and speed, practice reading comprehension passages on a regular basis. Additionally, practice answering sentence correction problems to improve your understanding of English grammar.
  2. Time Management: During practice exams, do you find that you are running out of time? Your score might be greatly impacted by time management. To enhance your pace and make sure you can finish each part in the allocated time, practice timed sessions.
  3. Reviewing Mistakes: It's excellent that you are reviewing the questions you answered incorrectly and comprehending the answers. Make sure you comprehend the underlying principles as well as the answer. Are there any common questions that you find yourself answering incorrectly? Determine those areas and concentrate on making improvements.
  4. Studying Effectively: Utilizing your study time to its fullest is essential given your hectic schedule. Make sure you're studying well by concentrating on your areas of weakness and engaging in frequent practice. To help you learn more, make use of tools like practice questions, flashcards, and online discussion boards.
  5. Managing Expectations: It makes sense to become discouraged if the development you were hoping for is not materializing. But progress is a gradual process, and failures are a normal aspect of learning. Have patience with yourself and believe that you will become better with time.
Lastly, regarding your application deadline, it's important to prioritize quality over speed. If you feel that rushing to meet the early round deadline might compromise the quality of your application or your GMAT score, it might be worth considering applying in a later round. Focus on preparing as thoroughly as possible, and the results will follow.

Hang in there and keep pushing forward. You've already come a long way, and with perseverance and strategic studying, you'll reach your target score. If you have any specific questions or need further advice, feel free to reach out. You've got this!­
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
It's excellent that you seem to be devoting a lot of time and energy to your GMAT preparation. Studying plateaus are frequent, particularly when faced with an exam as difficult as the GMAT. It's critical to keep in mind that there will inevitably be ups and downs along the path and that growth isn't always linear.
Given your persistent effort and the fact that you are not native English speakers, certain challenges in the verbal component are to be expected. To overcome this plateau and raise your scores, you can attempt the following strategies:
  1. Identify Weak Areas: Examine your practice exams to see which particular topics you find most difficult. Is it sentence correction, critical thinking, or reading comprehension? Concentrate on strengthening these areas that need improvement.
  2. Diversify Study Materials: Although Target Test Prep is an excellent tool for quantitative analysis, you should think about enhancing your verbal preparation with additional readings or materials designed for non-native English speakers. Additional practice and methods can be found in books like the Manhattan Prep GMAT Verbal Strategy Guides or online resources like Magoosh.
  3. Practice Active Learning: Engage with the content actively rather than just reading the questions and answers. Make an effort to comprehend the underlying ideas and logic of each question. To ensure you grasp things, take notes, make flashcards, or explain them to someone else.
  4. Simulate Test Conditions: To replicate the actual test situation as much as possible, practice in a timed setting. You'll develop your endurance and time management abilities by doing this.
  5. Seek Feedback: Seek advice from a study group, tutor, or online discussion boards such as GMAT Club. Occasionally, external viewpoints might offer significant perspectives and recommendations for enhancement.
  6. Set Realistic Goals: Although the deadline of December 4th is ambitious, it's crucial to create reasonable objectives that consider your present situation and rate of advancement. If you need additional time to prepare, think about extending your deadline.
Given your commitment to learning effectively and your willingness to do so, I suggest looking into resources such as Manya - The Princeton Review. Their in-depth GMAT preparation materials and knowledgeable teachers may offer invaluable assistance in breaking through your present score plateau and achieving your desired score. Their individualized teaching methods and flexible learning strategies could improve your entire educational experience, particularly when it comes to developing your linguistic abilities as a non-native English speaker.­
GMAT Club Bot