Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5205 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Gmat Prep Quant Score Guidance [#permalink]
pushpitkc wrote:
getahead wrote:
Hi,

I have been preparing for GMAT from past 8-9 weeks and I have given 3 GMat Prep mock tests. Score in these 3 tests are below
1.GP1 First attempt - 630 Q42 (23 Wrong) V35 (15Wrong)
Hit Reset by mistake.
2.GP1 Second attempt - 660 Q46 (15wrong) V35 (13wrong)
3.GP2-650 Q44 (12wrong) V35 (11 wrong)

My question is I am bit confused by this awkward correlation showing up between Wrong Questions and average scaled score both in Quant and Verbal.

Between GP1 First Attempt Quant 23 wrong to GP2 12 Wrong scaled score had moved just 2 basis points.

How shall I read this break-up of wrong Questions against the Overall Score.

Thanks.
Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hey getahead

IMO, the reason for the low score even after considerably reducing your mistakes
could be the positioning of the mistakes you have made. For instance, if you make
a few mistakes in the initial part of the test(say first 10-12 questions) the remaining
questions are of easy standard and because of which the score doesn't go up beyond
a point

This post might clear a few things for you
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-so ... 46146.html

Hope this helps you!

Hi Pushpit,
Thanks for that link, that is one brilliant analysis by Quantguru Buenel. I will re-read that thread again, that is one major gemstone.

I did make at least 2 mistakes on my first 10 questions on all 3 tests. And after reviewing all 3 tests again yesterday night, it all makes sense what you said.

As I never got beyond easy-low medium level of questions probably I got stuck in that range despite making less mistakes.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts Pushpit.

I know I need to work hard to get better.

Regards.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi getahead,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. It takes into account a number of different factors - far more than just the number of correct and incorrect answers. As such, you shouldn't be spending time trying to figure it all out. You'd be better served working on building up your skills. A far more useful gauge would be to review each CAT and determine how many questions you SHOULD have gotten correct, but didn't (due to a silly/little mistake). Those mistakes are the things that you have to fix to score at a higher level.

Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. Your scores are all 'in range' of one another though, so assuming that you took the ENTIRE CAT and did so under realistic 'test-like' conditions, then these scores serve as a reasonably accurate assessment of your abilities.

Today, GMAC announced that some changes are going to be made to the format of the Exam - there's a discussion thread about that here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-is-chan ... 62569.html

Since some of the specifics are not yet known, it's going to take a bit of time for all of the available practice resources (including the available practice CATs) to reflect these changes to the Exam. Thus, if you're scheduled to take the Official GMAT relatively soon - but after April 16th - then you might want to consider pushing back your Test Date so that you have more time to properly train for the GMAT that you will face.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) What study materials have you used so far?
2) What is your goal score?
3) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi Rich,
Thanks so much for your detailed response.

I wont have worried too much but the range of wrong questions compared to scaled score did raise my attention. I gave all 3 GMatprep Exams in actual CAT like conditions.

I bit about myself.
-Am a Gmat veteran(not a good one at that) have appeared 4 times between 2009 and 2011 post graduation but score remained between 620 and 680. Did not apply anywhere.
- Looking to apply for MBA/ Executive MBA in UK/ Europe, currently based in UK.
-Restarted my Prep in Feb to apply for Next year’s admissions.
-Goal Score is >=700 wud b pleased with 700
-Study material re-used so far : OG2016, Quant 2017 Review, Gmatclub MathBook for Theory,
Buenel’s Signatures for Quant Prep, Previos SCNotes, Empowergmat’s Video lessons
-DS approach per your methods have definitely improved my Cognizance of how to go about it rather than wasting time to solve each and every DS.

Thanks so much Rich for your patient answer to my confusion.

Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1989 [0]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
getahead wrote:
Hi,

I have been preparing for GMAT from past 8-9 weeks and I have given 3 GMat Prep mock tests. Score in these 3 tests are below
1.GP1 First attempt - 630 Q42 (23 Wrong) V35 (15Wrong)
Hit Reset by mistake.
2.GP1 Second attempt - 660 Q46 (15wrong) V35 (13wrong)
3.GP2-650 Q44 (12wrong) V35 (11 wrong)

My question is I am bit confused by this awkward correlation showing up between Wrong Questions and average scaled score both in Quant and Verbal.

Between GP1 First Attempt Quant 23 wrong to GP2 12 Wrong scaled score had moved just 2 basis points.

How shall I read this break-up of wrong Questions against the Overall Score.

Thanks.

Hi
The Gmat scoring algorithm is complex and does not depend only on the number of questions you got wrong. It depends more on the level of questions you get wrong. For example, you will be penalized more for getting a 500 or 600 level question wrong rather than getting a 700 level question wrong. In order to reach the 700 level questions you must get the 500 and 600 level questions right, else the algorithm will keep giving you easy questions. In the above post, the link for scoring algorithm is shared. It will give you more insight into this.
Start working on the easy questions first. When you have an accuracy of about 90%, move on to the harder questions, i.e. 700+ questions.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi getahead,

"Review" is an exceptionally important part of the GMAT training process; your ability to define WHY you're getting questions wrong is essential to defining the areas that you need to work on (and the specific things that you need to 'fix '). As such, I'd like to know a bit more about your last CAT. While a full Mistake Tracker would provide a lot more information, there are some basic questions that you should be able to answer (and the more EXACT you can be with your answers, the better):

After reviewing each section of this recent CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) How many Verbal questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
souvonik2k wrote:

Hi
The Gmat scoring algorithm is complex and does not depend only on the number of questions you got wrong. It depends more on the level of questions you get wrong. For example, you will be penalized more for getting a 500 or 600 level question wrong rather than getting a 700 level question wrong. In order to reach the 700 level questions you must get the 500 and 600 level questions right, else the algorithm will keep giving you easy questions. In the above post, the link for scoring algorithm is shared. It will give you more insight into this.
Start working on the easy questions first. When you have an accuracy of about 90%, move on to the harder questions, i.e. 700+ questions.

Hi souvonik2k,

Thanks for your response. Yes I understand that now and will strive to get into more accuracy at first 10-12 easy questions.

Though its frustrating to see this less variation of only 2 pt scaled score from my Gprep1 of 23 wrongs to GPrep3 of 10 wrongs.

But I do understand after reading from experts here that I should not over think the algorithm but prepare for accuracy.

Thanks again.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi getahead,

"Review" is an exceptionally important part of the GMAT training process; your ability to define WHY you're getting questions wrong is essential to defining the areas that you need to work on (and the specific things that you need to 'fix '). As such, I'd like to know a bit more about your last CAT. While a full Mistake Tracker would provide a lot more information, there are some basic questions that you should be able to answer (and the more EXACT you can be with your answers, the better):

After reviewing each section of this recent CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) How many Verbal questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong?

Rich

Hi Rich,
I did evaluate my past 3 GMATpreps and on my last one below is the analysis
- Quant Silly Mistake due to hurry : 2
- Quant Silly Mistake due to mis-read : 2
- Quant Wasted Time (longer than 3 mins) : 2 both Number Properties - 1 Remainder, 1 Functions
- Quant Questions Wrong due to incorrect solution / missed theory about topic : 4 (3 DS,1PS)

Verbal
SC - Wrong 5 of which silly mistake 1 rest 4 incorrect due to bad application of theory.
CR - Wrong 4 of which silly mistake 2 due to Fast Reading and misreading, rest 2 incorrect reasoning
RC - Wrong 4 of which 2 are last questions which I guessed, other 2 mistakes Incorrect reasoning

What do you suggest my path forward should be to take both my scores up by atleast 5 Points, so thatI am nearer to 700 mark?

Thanks so much for your help Rich.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi getahead,

Little mistakes and pacing errors are generally due to disorganized/incomplete work on the pad. You should NEVER do work 'in your head' - so your first 'steps' in fixing these issues is to take a good look at the notes you took on each of the questions you got wrong on this CAT. If you redid those questions and did every step on your pad, then how would your notes be different? Rework all of the questions that you COULD have gotten correct (but didn't the first time) and see. You DO have enough time to take the notes and do the work on the pad on Test Day; you DON'T have time to read every prompt over-and-over and stare at the screen doing nothing. You might think of this in terms of discipline and precision. Do you have the 'will' to do the necessary work and EARN that higher score?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich,
Thanks again for a solid advise. My notepad was messy and not organised as rightly pointed out by you.

And I realised for Verbal most of the questions I was doing in my head.

For quant I can understand and see how can I improve my test taking by being organised.

How shall I go about in Verbal.
I don’t write anything other than 5 dashes for each answer choice most of the time.

How much and how often should I try writing logic or facts down in Verbal.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
GMAT Club Bot