GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 11:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 May 2018, 22:06

GMAT Test is changing on April 16, 2018 - it will be shortened by 30 minutes

• Number of questions on the test will be reduced:
    • The number of Quant questions will be reduced by 6: from 37 to 31
    • The number of Verbal questions will be reduced by 5: from 41 to 36

Update: distribution of questions in GMAT Prep will be:
    (thanks AjiteshArun for sharing this)

(a) RC: 13-14 (4 passages)
    (b) SC: 12-13
    (c) CR: 9-10
    (d) PS: 17-18
    (e) DS: 13-14

GMAC is being careful not to say that this is the distribution for the GMAT itself as exam requirements could change over time (that is, the distribution of experimental questions can change).

!
    April 30th Update:
    GMAT Prep Downloadable Software is NOT being updated to the latest format. Instead, it is being discontinued
    EP1, EP2, and QP1 are not being updated to the latest format. Instead, GMAC is exchange them for online licenses through May 11th

List of Tests that have been updated for the new format:

1. Veritas Prep CAT's - as of April 12th - You get 1 free CAT; 7 total
    2. GMAT Club CAT's - as of April 13th - You get 1 free CAT; 20+ total
    3. MGMAT CAT's - as of April 16th - You get 1 free CAT; 6 total

• This includes a 23-minute reduction in the exam sections, as well as 7 minute reduction across several non-exam screens at the test center (e.g. Tutorial, Section Instructions).
  • The time per question will be approximately the same. While GMAC says it will remain unchanged, we have calculated it to be 1.62 seconds shorter for quant and 1.42 seconds shorter for verbal:

Quant
    earlier 75x60/37 = 121.62
    now 62x60/31 = 120 seconds

Verbal
    earlier 75/41 = 109.75 seconds
    now 65x60/36 = 108.33 seconds

so 1.42 seconds less per question in verbal
  • The reduction in questions comes from reduction of experimental questions.
  • No Changes to IR or AWA section
  • There are some changes to the on-screen instructions that further reduce time used for the test
  • Reschedule exception for 1 week: If you already have scheduled your tests, you can reschedule an appointment but only if it is before May 6th. You have to do it by April 11th. Not sure why limitations but I guess better than nothing
  • GMAT Prep software should be released by April 30th (along with updated Exam Packs)
  • More FAQ's are here: https://www.mba.com/global/frequently-asked-questions/shorter-gmat-exam.aspx

The Big Unknowns:

• Date of GMAT Prep release - sounds like it is only by April 30th, but hopefully sooner so we can practice
  • Question structure of the RC's. We don't know if we will be losing one passage, or if passages will have fewer questions.

Attachments

M02.jpg
M02.jpg [ 141.46 KiB | Viewed 174915 times ]

GMAT E.jpg
GMAT E.jpg [ 129.69 KiB | Viewed 204891 times ]

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/

Originally posted by hazelnut on 02 Apr 2018, 21:56.
Last edited by hazelnut on 01 May 2018, 22:06, edited 25 times in total.
Updated with debrief links
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount Codes
Current Student
D
Schools: Boston U '20 (M)
GRE 1: Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 23:09
Latest announcement from the GMAC -

There’s an even better reason to take the GMAT® exam. Starting on April 16, the GMAT® exam will be a half hour shorter, saving you valuable time.

The time savings will mostly be on the Quantitative and Verbal sections. We’ve streamlined these sections to be less time and have fewer questions. We also removed some of the tutorial screens from the beginning.

The exam content and the time you have per question won’t change. The exam will be scored the same, and it’s still a proven indicator of your ability to succeed in business school. It is the same GMAT exam with the same quality you expect – just shorter by a half hour.

We shortened the exam to give you a better test-taking experience. To give you the most realistic preparation experience, we have updated the GMAT Official Practice Exams to reflect the pacing of the shorter test. We want you to be confident and fully prepared to do your best on test day.

There are many reasons to take the GMAT exam. For one, it’s the most widely used exam for graduate business school admissions. Now add another reason – it’s a half hour shorter. If you’re serious about business school, take the exam that puts your most relevant skills in the spotlight and get 30 minutes back in your day. This change will go into effect on April 16, 2018 at 12:01am local time. All exams appointments scheduled for April 16 or later will include these changes at the test center.

Check out the Official link.. and the Link... to the New format.

MBA Financing:- INDIAN PUBLIC BANKS vs PRODIGY FINANCE!

Getting into HOLLYWOOD with an MBA!

The MOST AFFORDABLE MBA programs!

STONECOLD's BRUTAL Mock Tests for GMAT-Quant(700+)

AVERAGE GRE Scores At The Top Business Schools!

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ISB '19
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Re: GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 23:19
1.42 seconds less per question in Verbal Section

Leadership │ Enthusiasm │ Integrity │ Loyalty │ Decisiveness │ Competence │ Empowerment │ Charisma

BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Schools: ISB '20 (II)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 23:38
This is great news. Fewer questions on both verbal and quant :D

Good luck to new test takers. Attaching pic for new pattern. No changes to IR and AWA
Attachments

Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 140.9 KiB | Viewed 102550 times ]

Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 23:45
So.... is the gmat prep is also getting updated for this new format? Anyone downloaded the new version yet? Is it even available?

Quote:
GMAT Official Practice Exams reflecting the shortened Quantitative and Verbal section lengths will be released no later than April 30, 2018. Additional details and FAQs for the same will be provided prior to the release.

It seems very sudden this change. Not that I want more questions but still, would make sense to know in advance.

Also, what about the number of RCs - we get only 3 now? We don't know really and won't know until the new GMAT prep is out...

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 23:45
stonecold can you add this link to the post as well?

https://www.mba.com/india/frequently-as ... #question2
Regards,
HK
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 23:48
stonecold wrote:
Latest announcement from the GMAC -

There’s an even better reason to take the GMAT exam. Starting on April 16, the GMAT exam will be a half hour shorter, saving you valuable time.

The time savings will mostly be on the Quantitative and Verbal sections. We’ve streamlined these sections to be less time and have fewer questions. We also removed some of the tutorial screens from the beginning.

The exam content and the time you have per question won’t change. The exam will be scored the same, and it’s still a proven indicator of your ability to succeed in business school. It is the same GMAT exam with the same quality you expect – just shorter by a half hour.

We shortened the exam to give you a better test-taking experience. To give you the most realistic preparation experience, we have updated the GMAT Official Practice Exams to reflect the pacing of the shorter test. We want you to be confident and fully prepared to do your best on test day.

There are many reasons to take the GMAT exam. For one, it’s the most widely used exam for graduate business school admissions. Now add another reason – it’s a half hour shorter. If you’re serious about business school, take the exam that puts your most relevant skills in the spotlight and get 30 minutes back in your day. This change will go into effect on April 16, 2018 at 12:01am local time. All exams appointments scheduled for April 16 or later will include these changes at the test center.

Official link..

Per question time is a bit less than before. Not sure how many questions we can afford to get wrong to land same score as before.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Retaking gmat for second time, any re-takers please feel free to connect.

Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 23:51
ravikumarmishra wrote:
[

Per question time is a bit less than before. Not sure how many questions we can afford to get wrong to land same score as before.

That’s a moot point. You never knew how many questions you can get wrong to get a certain score, you could get 5 or 10 wrong and still end up with the same score. Score depends on how many hard questions to get right not how many total wrongs you make.

Founder of GMAT Club

BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 23:53
bb wrote:
So.... is the gmat prep is also getting updated for this new format? Anyone downloaded the new version yet? Is it even available?

It seems very sudden this change. Not that I want more questions but still, would make sense to know in advance.

Also, what about the number of RCs - we get only 3 now?

I hope not. I hope there are fewer CR questions :P

Haven't seen any changes on gmatprep as of now. Will unistall and download again
BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 23:55
ravikumarmishra wrote:

The questions used for scoring remain the same. The number of unscored/test questions are reduced. So there wouldn't be a change in the score at all

Source - mba.com https://www.mba.com/india/frequently-as ... #question2
Senior PS Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 23:55

Some more questions answered - FAQ

Reschedule your tests before April 11th for FREE!
Attachment:
Some more questions answered!.PNG
Some more questions answered!.PNG [ 61.01 KiB | Viewed 101172 times ]

Link : https://www.mba.com/india/frequently-as ... #question2

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 23:58
I'd love to see Manhattan, Veritas and other prep companies coming up CAT exams with the latest pattern and offer discounts :p
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 00:12
Could it be April 2nd or April 3rd joke? Right?

Founder of GMAT Club

BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 00:17
bb wrote:
Could it be April 2nd or April 3rd joke? Right?

hahaha no :roll: :| :suspect
BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 00:21
vtexcelgmat wrote:

Quant

now 61x60/32 = 120 seconds

so 1.62 seconds less per question in quant

Verbal

Manager
Manager
G
Schools: Schulich
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GPA: 4
WE: Business Development (Other)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 00:56
Hatakekakashi wrote:
vtexcelgmat wrote:

Quant

now 61x60/32 = 120 seconds

so 1.62 seconds less per question in quant

Verbal

Don't you think would serve as a psychological disadvantage for the guys who are already struggling with pacing and speed issues?
I am in a dilemma whether I should book exam before 16th with whatever preparation I have and check my stars or I should book it later and have that psychological hit?
Suggestion?

Regards
SandySilva
BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 01:20
sandysilva wrote:

Don't you think would serve as a psychological disadvantage for the guys who are already struggling with pacing and speed issues?
I am in a dilemma whether I should book exam before 16th with whatever preparation I have and check my stars or I should book it later and have that psychological hit?
Suggestion?

Regards
SandySilva

Thanks for the A2A, I'm happy to answer and here are my 2 cents.

First coming to struggling with pacing and speed issues, the GMAT is a time based exam thus time practice is of the essence and considering 1.x seconds per question it wouldn't make much of a difference because for quant one would start thinking and start the rough work within the first thirty seconds. The same for verbal.

Coming to the when to book the exam part, ask yourself this question - Are you ready for the GMAT / Have you completed preparation. Only you know the actual answer to that and if you have some doubt regarding your preparation, it is better to always postopne. Only take the GMAT when you're really confident unless you are consistently scoring 750+ and are quite confident about your skills

Now look at it this way, consider it as a psychological advantage, earlier 37+41 = 78 questions now 32+36 = 68 questions. So you're basically solving ten quesions less and consider that as an advantage. Your exam gets over faster and you have fewer questions to worry about than before

Regards,
HK
Manager
Manager
G
Schools: Schulich
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
WE: Business Development (Other)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 01:35
Hatakekakashi wrote:
sandysilva wrote:

Suggestion?

Regards
SandySilva

Thanks for the A2A, I'm happy to answer and here are my 2 cents.

First coming to struggling with pacing and speed issues, the GMAT is a time based exam thus time practice is of the essence and considering 1.x seconds per question it wouldn't make much of a difference because for quant one would start thinking and start the rough work within the first thirty seconds. The same for verbal.

Coming to the when to book the exam part, ask yourself this question - Are you ready for the GMAT / Have you completed preparation. Only you know the actual answer to that and if you have some doubt regarding your preparation, it is better to always postopne. Only take the GMAT when you're really confident unless you are consistently scoring 750+ and are quite confident about your skills

Now look at it this way, consider it as a psychological advantage, earlier 37+41 = 78 questions now 32+36 = 68 questions. So you're basically solving ten quesions less and consider that as an advantage. Your exam gets over faster and you have fewer questions to worry about than before

Regards,
HK

Hi
Thanks for flushing in the positivity and highlighting the brighter side.
But once the experimental questions are removed, are we not supposed to get more questions correct?, and the flexibility of skipping the questions that we feel can not be solved is taken away as well?

Regards
SandySilva
BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 01:47
sandysilva wrote:

Hi
Thanks for flushing in the positivity and highlighting the brighter side.
But once the experimental questions are removed, are we not supposed to get more questions correct?, and the flexibility of skipping the questions that we feel can not be solved is taken away as well?

Regards
SandySilva

The scoring system/algorithm doesn't change. the % of questions you have to get correct increases but the absolute value is same. The flexibilty of skipping is a personal choice. We never know, which quesiton is experimental thus it is better to solve all questions on the GMAT.
BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 01:59
Eager to see the # of RCs in the new pattern. I believe we will have only 3 RCs in the new pattern. (Fingers crossed)

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!
NEW GMATPrep software analysis by Bunuel

GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter &nbs [#permalink] 03 Apr 2018, 01:59

Go to page    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  22    Next  [ 435 posts ] 

GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap