Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 07:36 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 07:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20727 [86]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3133 [4]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [2]
Given Kudos: 126
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72922 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: GMAT FORMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter [#permalink]
Expert Reply
So.... is the gmat prep is also getting updated for this new format? Anyone downloaded the new version yet? Is it even available?

Quote:
GMAT Official Practice Exams reflecting the shortened Quantitative and Verbal section lengths will be released no later than April 30, 2018. Additional details and FAQs for the same will be provided prior to the release.

It seems very sudden this change. Not that I want more questions but still, would make sense to know in advance.

Also, what about the number of RCs - we get only 3 now? We don't know really and won't know until the new GMAT prep is out...

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Send PM
Re: GMAT FORMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter [#permalink]
stonecold wrote:
Latest announcement from the GMAC -

There’s an even better reason to take the GMAT exam. Starting on April 16, the GMAT exam will be a half hour shorter, saving you valuable time.

The time savings will mostly be on the Quantitative and Verbal sections. We’ve streamlined these sections to be less time and have fewer questions. We also removed some of the tutorial screens from the beginning.

The exam content and the time you have per question won’t change. The exam will be scored the same, and it’s still a proven indicator of your ability to succeed in business school. It is the same GMAT exam with the same quality you expect – just shorter by a half hour.

We shortened the exam to give you a better test-taking experience. To give you the most realistic preparation experience, we have updated the GMAT Official Practice Exams to reflect the pacing of the shorter test. We want you to be confident and fully prepared to do your best on test day.

There are many reasons to take the GMAT exam. For one, it’s the most widely used exam for graduate business school admissions. Now add another reason – it’s a half hour shorter. If you’re serious about business school, take the exam that puts your most relevant skills in the spotlight and get 30 minutes back in your day. This change will go into effect on April 16, 2018 at 12:01am local time. All exams appointments scheduled for April 16 or later will include these changes at the test center.

Official link..

Per question time is a bit less than before. Not sure how many questions we can afford to get wrong to land same score as before.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72922 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ravikumarmishra wrote:
[

Per question time is a bit less than before. Not sure how many questions we can afford to get wrong to land same score as before.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

That’s a moot point. You never knew how many questions you can get wrong to get a certain score, you could get 5 or 10 wrong and still end up with the same score. Score depends on how many hard questions to get right not how many total wrongs you make.

Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5206 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM

Some more questions answered - FAQ

Reschedule your tests before April 11th for FREE!
Attachment:
Some more questions answered!.PNG
Some more questions answered!.PNG [ 61.01 KiB | Viewed 118162 times ]

Link : https://www.mba.com/india/frequently-as ... #question2
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 726 [0]
Given Kudos: 294
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Eager to see the # of RCs in the new pattern. I believe we will have only 3 RCs in the new pattern. (Fingers crossed)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6135 [2]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Kudos
pikolo2510 wrote:
Eager to see the # of RCs in the new pattern. I believe we will have only 3 RCs in the new pattern. (Fingers crossed)

I don't think GMAC will reduce the number of passages in each test to 3. I think there are still 4 passages with 3 questions each.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72922 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
broall wrote:
pikolo2510 wrote:

I don't think GMAC will reduce the number of passages in each test to 3. I think there are still 4 passages with 3 questions each.

This is a potential issue. There are a few options for gmac:

1. Reduce the number of questions in RC to 3 but leave it as the same length passage. This means we still spend 5 mins to read the passage but only have 3-questions worth of time to read and answer all 3 questions. NEGATIVE.

2. Reduce the number of questions to 3 but only have shorter passages from now on. LEas time to read a passage but the passages are also shorter. This will be NEUTRAL.

3. Reduce the number of RC passages from 4 to 3 per test. This will be POSITIVE.

So I guess we’ll see what approach they take. I assume it will be #2. But wait and see.

Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
Expert Reply
bb wrote:
So.... is the gmat prep is also getting updated for this new format? Anyone downloaded the new version yet? Is it even available?

Quote:
GMAT Official Practice Exams reflecting the shortened Quantitative and Verbal section lengths will be released no later than April 30, 2018. Additional details and FAQs for the same will be provided prior to the release.

It seems very sudden this change. Not that I want more questions but still, would make sense to know in advance.

Also, what about the number of RCs - we get only 3 now? We don't know really and won't know until the new GMAT prep is out...

Dear bb,

You're resonating my sentiments! We need to make serious changes in our softwares and scoring algorithms.

Clarity on the number of RCs per test (as well as number of questions per RC) is essential for making due changes in our softwares. Will love to gain clarity on this.

Thanks,
Experts' Global Team
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dear All,

As we know, GMAT announced a rather abrupt change just a few hours ago.

For the ease of users, I am enlisting all the main points here. I will keep updating the post as we get more updates.

- Quant section- 31 questions, 62 minutes (compared to 37 questions, 75 minutes earlier)
    - Verbal section- 36 questions, 65 minutes (compared to 41 questions, 75 minutes earlier)
    - Reduction in pre-exam tutorials, instructions
    - The questions reduced are all experimental questions; hence, the number of questions on which one is scored remain the same
    - Time available per quant/verbal question remains approximately the same
    - No change in scoring (sectional as well as overall)
    - No change in IR, AWA
    - No change in duration of breaks
    - Those who have the exam scheduled on or prior to May 6, 2018 can reschedule the test once, free of charges until April 11, 2018
    - GMATPrep, other official resources shall be updated for the new pattern no later than 30th April, 2018

No clarity on:

- Number of RCs in the verbal section.
    - Number of questions per RC.

Official link: https://www.mba.com/india/frequently-asked-questions/shorter-gmat-exam.aspx

More updates soon...

Cordially,
Experts' Global Team
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Send PM
Maxximus wrote:
Cordially,
Experts' Global Team

Quant

earlier 75x60/37 = 121.62
now 61x60/32 = 120 seconds

so 1.62 seconds less per question in quant

Verbal

earlier 75/41 = 109.75 seconds
now 65x60/36 = 108.33 seconds

so 1.42 seconds less per question in verbal

Regards,
HK
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks for the input.

That's why, I said "approximately the same", unlike the official page that says

Quote:

...so the average time per question in each section has not changed

Again, thanks for the explanation. It helps.

Regards,
Experts' Global

Hatakekakashi wrote:
Maxximus wrote:
Cordially,
Experts' Global Team

Quant

earlier 75x60/37 = 121.62
now 61x60/32 = 120 seconds

so 1.62 seconds less per question in quant

Verbal

earlier 75/41 = 109.75 seconds
now 65x60/36 = 108.33 seconds

so 1.42 seconds less per question in verbal

Regards,
HK
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 635 [1]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Kudos
Its official now :thumbup:
GMAC has announced changes to the structure of the GMAT exam that will result in the test timing getting shortened by 23 minutes. These changes will come into effect from April 16, 2018. So, anyone taking the exam after April 16, 2018 will benefit from taking a shorter exam.
Attachment:
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG [ 20.06 KiB | Viewed 33803 times ]

Quant Section: The number of questions has been reduced from 37 to 31 and consequently the time allotted to complete the section has also been shortened to 62 minutes. 6 questions lesser and 13 minutes lesser time.

Verbal Section: The number of questions has been reduced from 41 to 36 and consequently the time allotted to complete the section has also been reduced to 65 minutes. 5 questions lesser and 10 minutes lesser time.

Scoring and other aspects: No change whatsoever, either in the section scores or overall scores. IR and AWA continue to be administered without any change.
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2414 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
I agree that this decision was rather abrupt by the people at GMAC. Perhaps they finally decided that 25% experimental ("pretest") questions was far too many--especially now that the number of experimental questions on each section (11 in Verbal, 9 in Quant) is well known, thanks to ESR data and the work of the experts on this forum.

Of course, "30 minutes shorter" is a bit of a stretch, since 7 of those saved minutes are during the pre-exam time (GMAC calls it "additional time and content reduction across several non-exam screens at the test center (e.g. Tutorial, Section Instructions)."

Regardless, I think we can all agree that a new, 23-minute shorter GMAT--with significantly fewer experimental questions--is a good thing. If we take GMAC at their word here, then the number of Verbal experimental questions should be reduced to 6 from 11, and the number of Quant experimental questions should be reduced to only 3 from 6 (as others have already noted), which would reduce the overall percentage of experimentals from 25.6% to just 15.2%.

Since we are told the experimental ("pretest") questions don't count toward your score, and those are the only questions that are being removed, then this shouldn't affect student "raw to scaled" score conversions whatsoever--although we should wait to see some ESRs to confirm that. However, a shorter test could have the effect of raising scores across the board, thus driving down composite percentile scores even further.

I wouldn't count on GMAC to update the GMATPrep software to reflect these changes before April 16th, but you never know. As usual, the private GMAT prep companies will probably be the first to make these changes to their own imitation GMAT practice exams, and the GMAC will follow suit weeks or months later.

-Brian

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 03 Apr 2018, 09:26.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 01 May 2018, 15:43, edited 14 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
GPA: 3.29
Send PM
This is semi frustrating to hear.

On one hand a shorter test means it's less of a marathon than it was before, but I am nervous that a shorter question set means there's less margin for error when it comes to scoring. Additionally, I plan to take the exam early in May... With this change coming so sudden, I may push that back to give me more time to adjust to the change.

I don't know how to feel about this to be honest. I know GMAC has probably thought through this in detail, but taking the exam so close to the big change makes me feel like I'm at a disadvantage.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2414 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
dcamp0308 wrote:
This is semi frustrating to hear.

On one hand a shorter test means it's less of a marathon than it was before, but I am nervous that a shorter question set means there's less margin for error when it comes to scoring. Additionally, I plan to take the exam early in May... With this change coming so sudden, I may push that back to give me more time to adjust to the change.

I don't know how to feel about this to be honest. I know GMAC has probably thought through this in detail, but taking the exam so close to the big change makes me feel like I'm at a disadvantage.

Hi dcamp0308,

To alleviate one of your concerns: there should be the exact same "margin for error" as before, because the number of counted/scored questions has not decreased.

In my opinion, the test-takers who most deserve to be frustrated are those who are scheduled to take the GMAT before April 16th, and those who took the exam recently! However, at least GMAC is offering to waive the reschedule fee, as was done when the "Select Section Order" feature was implemented in July of 2017.

Source: https://www.mba.com/us/frequently-asked-questions/shorter-gmat-exam.aspx

-Brian
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
GPA: 3.29
Send PM
mcelroytutoring

Just so I'm understanding this correctly -- are the "research questions" solely for GMAC to develop future questions or are they to determine where the test taker stands as far as question difficulty goes? Because, if it's the latter, than that's where I can see how it might be a disadvantage to new test takers.

Also, wouldn't the reduction in test questions make skipping questions more dangerous? You'd be less likely to be skipping a research question that wouldn't adversely affect your score.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2414 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
dcamp0308 wrote:
Also, wouldn't the reduction in test questions make skipping questions more dangerous? You'd be less likely to be skipping a research question that wouldn't adversely affect your score.

Yes, but on the current version of the GMAT (25.6% experimentals), you are also twice as likely to spend way too much time on a question that is unscored than you are on the upcoming version of the test (15.2% experimentals).

-Brian

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 03 Apr 2018, 10:43.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 27 Apr 2018, 08:29, edited 7 times in total.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12