GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 22:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 18:01
nitinkarnwal wrote:
abhimahna wrote:
paddy41 wrote:
Hello bb,

Is there a set date already until the gmatclub quant tests are available in the new format?

Thank you.

Posted from my mobile device

Hey paddy41 ,

GC Quant and Verbal tests will be out soon. Stay tuned! :)

thanks. I hope that the tests will be out before the end of april so that we can practice in the new format before giving the main exam.

Our tests are almost ready and undergoing the testing and calibration stage at this time. They will be deployed by April 15th, in time for the switch.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Manager
Manager
B
Re: GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 18:23
I wouldn't change verbal study habits until any of this is confirmed. No one has taken the new test yet, and even with the India webinar, this is speculation at best.

Study concepts as normal until you are able to take an updated GMATPrep exam.

Sent from my Pixel XL using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 18:48
Hi,

Can someone please quote the official source for the break up of questions:
(a) RC: 13-14 (4 passages)
(b) SC: 8-9
(c) CR: 13-14
(d) PS: 17-18
(e) DS: 13-14

I do not find this information on the official website.

Thanks,
Rahul
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 Apr 2018, 22:24
Top Contributor
Hi rahulchougule,

It's not completely official yet, but the source of information appears to be legit. That being said, the results are very surprising (SC is going from the most common question type to the least common question type??), so I have asked GMAC to confirm to make sure no mistakes were made. I believe that the original source is a GMAC webinar for India attended by AjiteshArun.

These numbers obviously conflict with the reassurances we were given by GMAC that the overall balance of questions on the GMAT has not changed, so something has got to give.

-Brian

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y94hlarr Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 08 Apr 2018, 18:54.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 08 Apr 2018, 22:24, edited 5 times in total.
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 20:40
bb wrote:
I have not seen a US webinar not have I received an invitation to it. I also have not seen announcements from MGMAT or Kaplan or Veritas Prep about the test structure which makes me believe there was not one yet for the US. Which is weird. (Of course i may not have been invited to one... you know invitation lost in the mail ;-))

So the best info we have is what was shared in the webinar that Arjesh Arun attended.
Now that the weekend is (almost) over, I think we can expect more information from the GMAC.

They were answering all the other questions, but I had to ask about the number of SC questions four times to get a response, or even an acknowledgement that such a question had been raised. Oddly enough, only one other instructor seemed to be concerned about this (no one else was asking).

Here is actual slide that they shared:
Attachment:
2018-04-06.jpg
2018-04-06.jpg [ 75.56 KiB | Viewed 2656 times ]

I'll repeat a few points that I think might have been lost in all the conversation:

1. This is the distribution of questions in the GMATPrep, not the actual GMAT. Depending on what they need from a question development perspective, the distribution could change as a result of the distribution of experimental questions.

2. They were just relaying information the psychometrics team had sent them. They said they'd confirm that data and get back to us.

3. At the beginning, they had said that they'd tried to keep the "proportion" (not the word they used) roughly the same, which leads to me believe that they could have mixed up SC and CR.

4. This was a GMAC webinar, not a GMAC India webinar :-)

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 21:25
AjiteshArun wrote:

Your updates came at 3:58 and 4:02 AM Pacific Time so I assumed that GMAC would not hold a webinar at such exotic time and it was a webinar for a non-US audience. Usually I also get invites to these events but not this one. I may have assumed wrong.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 21:46
bb wrote:
AjiteshArun wrote:

Your updates came at 3:58 and 4:02 AM Pacific Time so I assumed that GMAC would not hold a webinar at such exotic time and it was a webinar for a non-US audience. Usually I also get invites to these events but not this one. I may have assumed wrong.

well, It also sounds astonishing to me that BB havent been invited to such a event. But I am still curious about the exact number of SC in the real exam. Since in the past record, it seems that test-takers will actually get more SC when they score 700 and higher, and less SC questions when they score below 700. Is that past record true?
SVP
SVP
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 21:49
bb wrote:
This was for other comments in the thread, not yours. You were absolutely right that the webinar was only for India (and maybe some other countries in the region).

I'm just addressing some of the concerns in the thread that perhaps this information is not directly from the GMAC.

SVP
SVP
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 21:56
zxfjac wrote:
well, It also sounds astonishing to me that BB havent been invited to such a event. But I am still curious about the exact number of SC in the real exam. Since in the past record, it seems that test-takers will actually get more SC when they score 700 and higher, and less SC questions when they score below 700. Is that past record true?
No, the exam cannot change the "ratio" on the basis of a test taker's performance. The exam would not be fair, and anyone who is very quick (at doing SC questions) would have a big advantage.

In other words, the GMAT algorithm takes care of content balancing. You don't have to worry about getting a significantly different distribution of questions.

SVP
SVP
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 22:08
Just in: Confirmed that the two (SC and CR) had been mixed up. Some other changes:

RC: 13-14
SC: 12-13
CR: 9-10
PS: 17-18
DS: 13-14

Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 22:09
AjiteshArun wrote:
bb wrote:
This was for other comments in the thread, not yours. You were absolutely right that the webinar was only for India (and maybe some other countries in the region).

I'm just addressing some of the concerns in the thread that perhaps this information is not directly from the GMAC.

Thank you for clarifying and making me feel better about not being invited ;-)

At the same time, are they planning a US webinar? I have not heard any indication of that. From the the outside, seems a very haphazard approach to the whole thing...

PS. No, I don’t doubt the info. I am certain it is from GMAC (and we have another source confirming it too - experts global)

Founder of GMAT Club

Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 22:10
AjiteshArun wrote:
Just in: Confirmed that the two (SC and CR) had been mixed up. Some other changes:

RC: 13-14
SC: 12-13
CR: 9-10
PS: 17-18
DS: 13-14

REALLY? GMAC? REALLY???

I am just going to stop at this.

Founder of GMAT Club

SVP
SVP
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 22:19
Haha... looks like everyone was out on the weekend. Now that they're back:
Attachment:
2018-04-09.jpg
2018-04-09.jpg [ 90.78 KiB | Viewed 2576 times ]

Senior CR Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 22:24
AjiteshArun wrote:
Haha... looks like everyone was out on the weekend. Now that they're back:
Attachment:
2018-04-09.jpg

Could you give us the link to that structure?

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 22:26
AjiteshArun

Awsome! What a relief to finally get back to prep :lol: :cool:

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
V
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 23:38
HI mcelroytutoring , AjiteshArun , bb ,

Is GMAT change in pattern an advantage or disadvantage?

I'm very much confused :-(

I agree there were 11 experimental questions, which didn't count in actual test but reduction of question also reduces the time.

आत्मनॊ मोक्षार्थम् जगद्धिताय च

Resource: GMATPrep RCs With Solution

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
WE: Advertising (Advertising and PR)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 23:51
I'm just thinking we should probably not discuss our fears about test format changes on the forum...the gmac may read it and use it to make the test even more challenging. Not that I'm afraid ( secretly am)

Sent from my MotoG3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

If you find my post useful, please give me a kudos.

Thank you.
Regards,
ENEM

If you wish to spend wisely on your gmat prep material, check my post titled: How to Spend Money On GMAT Material Wisely, link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-buy-gmat-material-wisely-tag-free-gmat-resources-236174.html

Simple and handy template for CR: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-and-handy-template-for-cr-242255.html

simple template for more vs greater and fewer vs less: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-template-for-more-vs-greater-and-fewer-vs-less-242216.html

SVP
SVP
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 23:53
NandishSS wrote:
Is GMAT change in pattern an advantage or disadvantage?

I'm very much confused :-(

I agree there were 11 experimental questions, which didn't count in actual test but reduction of question also reduces the time.
I think it's a good move. They're cutting only the experimental questions, so the reliability of the test remains the same. You have to spend less time overall, so that's also good.

Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 02:18
Hi bb, hazelnut,

I have rescheduled the exam from 20th April to July 27th, on 6th April, because of new change.. I have been charged $60. According to above discussions, Can i get that amount i paid to reschedule back ?. If I can, Can you please tell me what is the process to get the amount back.

Thank you
Best Regards
Aditya
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 02:20
Nightmare007 wrote:
Hi bb, hazelnut,

I have rescheduled the exam from 20th April to July 27th, on 6th April, because of new change.. I have been charged $60. According to above discussions, Can i get that amount i paid to reschedule back ?. If I can, Can you please tell me what is the process to get the amount back.

Thank you
Best Regards
Aditya

You had to mention the free reschedule to get a free reschedule. I don’t think you will get a refund now but you can always try. Look at the FAQ first though.

Founder of GMAT Club

Re: GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter &nbs [#permalink] 09 Apr 2018, 02:20

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  22    Next  [ 435 posts ] 

GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR SEPTEMBER
e-GMAT: Free 30 day Access! 25+ Video Lessons | 400+ Practice Questions | 7 Free Webinars
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap