Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 02:21 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 02:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20726 [86]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.86
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72918 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2414 [1]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: GMAT FORMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
AjiteshArun wrote:
2020Hopeful wrote:
Should those of us who have taken the GMAT already but plan to apply next year be concerned?

It seems like the GMAT has become easier. Does that water down my score considering that when I apply next year most of my competition will have taken the updated (easier) GMAT?

I took the GMAT a year early because I had a bit of a lull in my work schedule. Now that seems like a big disadvantage.
This question was raised. Their response was that they don't expect this change to impact scoring, so there is no need to view old/new scores differently.

I think what we sometimes forget is that the GMAT 200-800 composite score is a reflection of your RELATIVE PERCENTILE scores on the Quant and Verbal sections of the test (percent of test-takers who you outperformed during that particular 3-year period), not your ABSOLUTE PERCENTILE scores (your actual performance on the test, including percent correct, question difficulty level, and scoring algorithm management).

Confused? Think of your ABSOLUTE PERCENTILE as the percent of questions you answer correctly, and your RELATIVE PERCENTILE as the percent of students who you outperform.

On an easier test, you might earn a high ABSOLUTE PERCENTILE, but still earn a low RELATIVE PERCENTILE due to the unchallenging nature of the test. ("scaled down")
Conversely, on a harder test, you might earn a low ABSOLUTE PERCENTILE, but still earn a high RELATIVE percentile due to the challenging nature of the test. ("scaled up")

In other words, even if the GMAT does get objectively easier as a result of a shortened test with fewer experimentals, it should not get relatively easier: composite scores and percentiles should stay stable, though section scores, which unlike the composite score are absolute scores, may indeed rise. We have seen that to be the case over the last 10-20 years, when composite percentiles have stayed mostly the same (the only real change at the top end is that a 750 used to be 99%) while section percentiles have lowered drastically, on Quant in particular. (See examples below of Quant percentiles from 2000 and 2017, as well as composite percentiles from 2000 and 2017.)

That being said, since the GMAC's numbers take into account the last 3 years of test-taker information, there might indeed be a short window of time where one can take advantage of a slightly easier GMAT that the GMAC's curve hasn't yet compensated for (if it is in fact any easier), since the data is averaged out over the last 1,000 or so days, and the percentiles are only calculated once annually in July.

-Brian

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 07 Apr 2018, 07:48.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 20 May 2018, 22:49, edited 8 times in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4659 [0]
Given Kudos: 633
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: GMAT FORMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter [#permalink]
Expert Reply
mcelroytutoring wrote:
I think what we sometimes forget is that the GMAT 200-800 composite score is a reflection of your RELATIVE PERCENTILE scores on the Quant and Verbal sections of the test (percent of test-takers who you outperformed during that particular 3-year period), not your ABSOLUTE PERCENTILE scores (the precise Q/V subscore combination, percent of questions correct, question difficulty/scoring algorithm management, etc.).

In other words, even if the GMAT does get objectively easier as a result of a shortened test with fewer experimentals, it should not get relatively easier: composite scores and percentiles should stay stable, though section scores, which unlike the composite score are absolute scores, may indeed rise. We have seen that to be the case over the last 10-20 years, when composite percentiles have stayed mostly the same (the only real change at the top end is that a 750 used to be 99%) while section percentiles have lowered drastically, on Quant in particular. (See examples below of Quant percentiles from 2000 and 2017, as well as composite percentiles from 2000 and 2017.)

That being said, since the GMAC's numbers take into account the last 3 years of test-taker information, there might indeed be a short window of time where one can take advantage of a slightly easier GMAT that the GMAC's curve hasn't yet compensated for, since the data is averaged out over the last 1,000 or so days, and a small sample size shouldn't effect the curve much in the weeks and months shortly after this change goes into effect on April 16th.

-Brian
I'm not sure what "absolute percentiles" means, but the GMAT's percentile calculation is done only once a year (not the last ~1000 days from any given day). In fact, it's going to be done very soon (end June). So for the full year after that (and not just the period shortly after), the percentiles will be locked at whatever values we get in July. So, if the exam does get "easier", the scores test takers get from now on are going to be compared with scores on the old format. The proportion of old scores used in the calculation of GMAT percentiles will start falling only from July 2019.

Not sure whether the GMAT is going to be any "easier" or "tougher", but it would have been good if they had managed to get the new GMATPrep out at least a month before making the changes they've announced.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2414 [2]

Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
I understand that the term "absolute percentile" must in some ways seem absurd, because a percentile score is by definition relative.

To clarify, I would define an "absolute percentile" as a percentile that does not vary from year to year in relation to scaled scores. GMAT composite percentiles can be considered absolute percentiles because they have barely budged within the last 20 years (see above tables) in relation to the actual composite scores--especially at the top end. The cutoff for 99%, for example, has always been either 750 or 760--it's remarkably consistent over time.

On the other hand, section percentiles are relative, not absolute, because they tend vary greatly over time--especially on Quant. For example, a score of Q45 was 82% overall in the year 2000, but now a Q45 only earns you a score of 57%! The scaled section score is absolute--a Q45 in 2000 is the same as a Q45 in 2018--but a 750 composite from 2000 cannot be compared to a 750 from 2018, because composite scores are relative to overall test-taker performance, and the test has become significantly more competitive since then.

Good point about the percentiles only being calculated once per year by GMAC, at the beginning of July. Hence, as I have already noted, if the the shorter, updated GMAT does indeed prove to be easier, which we have every reason to expect, then it might be particularly advantageous to take during the first year or so of its implementation, before the scoring curve and percentiles have been fully adjusted to reflect test-taker performance on the new exam. This advantage will persist in a diminished way during the 2nd year of the new exam, and will disappear completely after the updated GMAT has been around for 3 full years.

To summarize:

1) GMAT composite scores are RELATIVE to test-taker performance, but GMAT composite percentiles are ABSOLUTE--they do not change much over time, and they have a high degree of correlation with the overall composite score. In fact, you could argue that the composite score and the percentile are roughly the same thing, since composite score conversions change over time, along with percentiles.

2) GMAT scaled section scores are ABSOLUTE, but GMAT section percentiles are RELATIVE--they reflect the changing demographics of the test-taker population.

FAQ:

Q: Can I compare my 750 composite in 2018 to my (_______)'s 750 in 2000?
A: No, you can't. A 750 in 2018 is far more impressive than a 750 in 2018--even though a 750 in 2018 is "only" 98% and a 750 in 2000 was 99%.

Q: But you just finished explaining why composite percentiles are "absolute," which implies that they don't change over time.
A: Yes, that's true. They are absolute in the sense that they don't vary much relative to composite scores.

Q: So why is a 750 in 2018 more impressive than a 750 in 2000?
A: Because although they are (roughly) the same percentile scores in both years, a percentile score is by definition relative to the strength of the test-taking population, and the GMAT is a much more competitive test now, which can be seen in the significant rise in Quant scores over the last 2 decades.

Q: Wait, you just said that GMAT composite percentiles are absolute, and now you are saying that they are relative?
A: Yes, I can understand why that might be confusing. Both are true: although GMAT composite scores have a high degree of correlation with overall percentiles, you cannot compare percentiles from different years because they are relative to how prepared test-takers are for the GMAT during that particular period of time.

Q: So what CAN I compare over time?
A: You can compare scaled section scores, which--unlike section percentiles, composite percentiles or scaled composite scores--are consistent over time, due to the fact that the test content has not changed (much). A Q50 from 2000 is as impressive as a Q50 from 2018, for example. And anything above V40 (90% in 1998-2000 and 91% in 2015-2017) is excellent, no matter when you took the test. However, was it easier to score 99% overall way back then? Definitely. For one thing, there was no GMAT Club helping raise everyone's Quant scores. ;) On the other hand, Verbal scores and percentiles have stayed about the same over the last 20 years--probably because the same international test-takers who are "ruining the curve" on Quant tend to be English as a second language students who on average, struggle more on Verbal.

You can even see these effects in the short term. I was lucky enough to earn my 770 (99%) in January 2012 with a Q47 / V48, though I suspect that particular combination of section scores would convert closer to a 760 or even 750 on today's GMAT.

-Brian

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 07 Apr 2018, 14:51.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 20 May 2018, 22:53, edited 11 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
bb wrote:
2020Hopeful wrote:
Should those of us who have taken the GMAT already but plan to apply next year be concerned?

It seems like the GMAT has become easier. Does that water down my score considering that when I apply next year most of my competition will have taken the updated (easier) GMAT?

I took the GMAT a year early because I had a bit of a lull in my work schedule. Now that seems like a big disadvantage.

Did you read through the discussion and latest update on the RC's & number of SC's?
1. The test has become shorter, which does not mean it has become easier due to removal of 6 questions in quant and 5 in verbal.
2. The re-calibration of the Verbal section will most likely result into lower Verbal scores, as it will require many to scramble on the RC section
3. You can take the GMAT now - nothing is stopping you from doing it, but your Verbal score will likely be lower, even though GMAC does not seem to think that the test difficulty remained the same.
4. The consensus here is that the Verbal section has become harder.

Hi, bb

Have you got a chance to attend a GMAC seminar to confirm that the number of SC question is indeed be reduced to 8-9? It is really hard for me to believe that and there is no way to confirm the rumors discussed above. Thanks in advance.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72918 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
I have not seen a US webinar not have I received an invitation to it. I also have not seen announcements from MGMAT or Kaplan or Veritas Prep about the test structure which makes me believe there was not one yet for the US. Which is weird. (Of course i may not have been invited to one... you know invitation lost in the mail ;-))

So the best info we have is what was shared in the webinar that Arjesh Arun attended.

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2414 [3]

Send PM
Kudos