Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 02:29 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 02:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20726 [86]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2414 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: GMAT FORMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter [#permalink]
mcelroytutoring wrote:
bondtradercu wrote:
mcelroytutoring wrote:
In working with my private GMAT students, I've noticed a few important differences between the old desktop GMATPrep software and the new online tests:

1) Keystrokes (ALT-N, ALT-Y, etc.) don't work on the online tests.
2) When you review your answers on the online tests, the correct answer is already indicated (for maximum learning, it would be better if the GMAC went back to the old "Show Answer" button, so that you could re-try the question first). In fact, it would be even better if your original answer were not indicated either, in order to facilitate what I call a "blind re-try."
3) The "ESR" that is included with Exam Pack 1 is not as detailed or helpful as is the one included with the GMATPrep software.

-Brian

Brian, so I finished all the sections in my CAT 3 on the online version today, however, I did not click Next before the time is up on the AWA (last section) and I clicked next after the time is up. Then the screen is frozen and said "your question is being evaluated"> Is there are way to fix this and get a score?

I was assuming I did nto need to press next and my essay will still be saved and score will still be computed.

Hi bondtradercu,

As with most cloud-based software, it's probably a browser issue:

1) Open up Chrome or some other browser instead.
2) Access your test that way.

Good luck,

-Brian

Thanks Brian - I was taking the test on Chrome. Do you mean open on another browser for the home page and see the test score?

I tried opening another tab on Chrome and Internet Explorer and just loged into my home page but it said for CAT 3, there has been 0 attempt. I still have another Chrome tab opened where it froze to your question is being evaluated.....

Do you think if I call GMAT they can solve this? Any chances the questions are still saved? They prob did not wipe out the questions correct?
Tutor

Send PM
Re: GMAT FORMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
bondtradercu wrote:
Thanks Brian - I was taking the test on Chrome. Do you mean open on another browser for the home page and see the test score?

I tried opening another tab on Chrome and Internet Explorer and just loged into my home page but it said for CAT 3, there has been 0 attempt. I still have another Chrome tab opened where it froze to your question is being evaluated.....

Do you think if I call GMAT they can solve this? Any chances the questions are still saved? They prob did not wipe out the questions correct?

Sure! Maybe it wasn't a browser issue at all, in your case at least. I wouldn't panic just yet--others in this situation have been able to recover their scores.

Ultimately, though, this is a GMAC tech support issue. However, GMAC is not exactly the highest-rated customer service provider in the industry, if you know what I mean. Sometimes you just have to keep trying until you figure out the issue yourself.

If all else fails, you could always send a message to the GMAC representative on GMAT Club and see whether you receive a helpful response.

-Brian
Tutor

Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
balagevr wrote:
Can any one who have taken the tests in the new gmatprep version tell the question break up in the verbal section for CR,RC,SC.

Hi balagevr,

Here is the information you requested:

mcelroytutoring wrote:
OK, I ran a question-type count on the new (online) Verbal section of Exam 1, and here is what I found:

15 SC, 13 RC, 8 CR.

Make of that what you will! Also note that this balance/frequency of question Verbal types on the new GMATPrep tests does NOT appear to reflect their true proportions on the actual GMAT, based on the debriefs we've read so far, which suggest that RC is now the most common question type.

Keep in mind that I only ran one simulation. It is entirely possible that every GMATPrep test now has a slightly different balance of question types, much like the real GMAT itself, due to the random distribution of experimental questions by type.

-Brian
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 726 [1]
Given Kudos: 294
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
Kudos
I just received an email with the below details

Free migration is only valid to those who purchased a GMATPrep® product between October 1, 2017 – April 30, 2018. Please allow up to five business days to process your request.

Free migration to our improved products –Deadline Extended to May 18

P.S: - Damn it! I purchased GMATPrep in September :-(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
mcelroytutoring wrote:
balagevr wrote:
Can any one who have taken the tests in the new gmatprep version tell the question break up in the verbal section for CR,RC,SC.

Hi balagevr,

Here is the information you requested:

mcelroytutoring wrote:
OK, I ran a question-type count on the new (online) Verbal section of Exam 1, and here is what I found:

15 SC, 13 RC, 8 CR.

Make of that what you will! Also note that this balance/frequency of question Verbal types on the new GMATPrep tests does NOT appear to reflect their true proportions on the actual GMAT, based on the debriefs we've read so far, which suggest that RC is now the most common question type.

Keep in mind that I only ran one simulation. It is entirely possible that every GMATPrep test now has a slightly different balance of question types, much like the real GMAT itself, due to the random distribution of experimental questions by type.

-Brian

Brian - sounds like achieving 750+ on the GMAT now is harder than before and the verbal is especially harder as the passages are longer?
Tutor

Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
bondyradercu wrote:
Brian - sounds like achieving 750+ on the GMAT now is harder than before and the verbal is especially harder as the passages are longer?

I wouldn't necessarily say that the new GMAT is harder, though most users on GMAT Club appear to feel that way.

The new Quant section is definitely easier, because it's the same balance of questions with the exact same question content, only 13 minutes shorter. Overall, Quant section time has been reduced by 17%, and the number of questions has been reduced by 16%. Verbal, however, may well have become a tad more difficult with the higher proportion of RC questions, which tend to take longer than SCs--though I would argue that the effect is somewhat blunted by the 10-minute shorter section duration (a 13% reduction in time and a 12% reduction in the number of questions), which allows the test-taker to concentrate more intensely.

It all depends on what your strengths and weaknesses are.

-Brian
Tutor

Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
pikolo2510 wrote:
I just received an email with the below details

Free migration is only valid to those who purchased a GMATPrep® product between October 1, 2017 – April 30, 2018. Please allow up to five business days to process your request.

Free migration to our improved products –Deadline Extended to May 18

Thanks for the update, pikolo2510! I can confirm from the GMATPrep Online FAQ that this good news is true: the "migration" cut-off date has been pushed back from 1/16/18 to 10/1/17--and the deadline for free migration has been extended to 5/18/18.

Fair warning, though: the "migration" is currently more of a downgrade than an upgrade, imo. So far it has also proven to be very buggy, perhaps even more so than the desktop GMATPrep software. As with the old GMATPrep software, you should play it safe and take lots of screenshots just in case everything crashes or freezes suddenly, and you lose hours of your work.

Besides, taking screenshots at the beginning of each question is always a good idea, because not only do they serve as a backup method, but they also provide you with pacing information (time remaining) on an individual question basis, which the GMAT Prep "ESR" does not.

-Brian

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
Kudos
Hi All,

I have attempted both free (updated) GMAT Prep tests. On my first attempt, it skipped the quant section, registering a 0 for my quant percentile. After completing the second test, the software failed to record a score (the software made me wait on a frozen page that read "please wait, your question is being evaluated") and did not record my answers for review.

I called MBA.com and reported this. They are aware of the issue and are bringing in the developer to remedy the situation ASAP. They said they would email me regarding the status of the repairs. Once I hear back, I will update this post.

Until then, if you are planning on taking a free GMAT Prep exam, PROCEED WITH CAUTION!!

**Update: No response yet from MBA reps, but my scores just appeared a day after my screen froze. It also looks like I will be able to review my answers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Cannot take my 2nd free test of GMAC..it is written: "Unable to load questions.Cannot read property 'SectionNumber' of undefined". From different browsers. Cleared the cash already, restarted computer. Did anybody has the same problem? what does it mean?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72918 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
aliinana wrote:
Cannot take my 2nd free test of GMAC..it is written: "Unable to load questions.Cannot read property 'SectionNumber' of undefined". From different browsers. Cleared the cash already, restarted computer. Did anybody has the same problem? what does it mean?

This has been happening with a few folks and there are several discussions about this issue. Try searching for the keywords and see if you get some tips.

BB

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [2]
Given Kudos: 147
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V37
Send PM
Kudos
After 9 days of raising query regarding ESR for practice tests, I got the following response from Gmac customer service today-

We're actually still working on the enhanced score report functions of the new online version of our practice exams (called GMAT Official Practice Exams). Currently, they do not provide details of your scores. We recognize that this is a deficiency and are working actively to release this functionality in the coming weeks.

vvijay26 wrote:
I have purchased the EP1 online version also, but I am still unable to see the detailed score report. I have emailed the gmatprep cusotomer care, will update once I get a response.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
wow. Seems like the new online gmat prep is a lot of mess.. Should I just stick to my offline gmat prep? the timing,though..
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5430 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
megakee9 wrote:
wow. Seems like the new online gmat prep is a lot of mess.. Should I just stick to my offline gmat prep? the timing,though..

Hey megakee9 ,

Personally I would not prefer taking any mock that doesn't match with the real exam environment, since there isn't any point of taking them.

I could see that there has been alot of mess going on but I know people who have started giving these online mocks and everything worked fine for them.

So, in short, go ahead and try your luck.

All the best :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 290 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
abhimahna wrote:
megakee9 wrote:

Hey megakee9 ,

Personally I would not prefer taking any mock that doesn't match with the real exam environment, since there isn't any point of taking them.

I could see that there has been alot of mess going on but I know people who have started giving these online mocks and everything worked fine for them.

So, in short, go ahead and try your luck.

Hi,

Has the offline GMAT software been updated ?? I was planning to give one free test tomorrow. I am not able to understand anything...what is the issue going on in the online and offline modes ??

Please explain in short...there are so many previous messages !!

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5430 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
SonalSinha803 wrote:
Hi,

Has the offline GMAT software been updated ?? I was planning to give one free test tomorrow. I am not able to understand anything...what is the issue going on in the online and offline modes ??

Please explain in short...there are so many previous messages !!

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hey SonalSinha803 ,

You need to understand only these points:
1. GMAC said they are not going to update the offline Software that we used to download and use.
2. If you want to give the test in the new format, you must give it online.

There has been some technical issues going on with the online version, since it is launched recently. But I think that has/will improve with time.

Official GMAC Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Everyone!

I wanted to provide a brief update on our new, online GMAT® Official Practice platform to help address some of the questions and concerns noted in this thread.

• On April 30, 2018 we launched a new, web-based platform that includes online versions of our GMAT® Official Practice Exams and GMAT® Official Practice Questions. The practice exams have been updated to reflect the shorter exam structure, however the scoring methodology and questions remain the same (other than 12 new IR questions for Exam #2). Anyone with an mba.com account can immediately access the free GMAT® Official Starter Kit + Practice Exams 1 & 2 here: https://www.mba.com/us/store/store-cata ... -free.aspx. Please note that your existing GMATPrep® downloadable software extension pack activation codes cannot be used on the online version, but you may be eligible for an activation code exchange (see fourth bullet).
  • We have discovered some technical bugs and we are actively working to reproduce, troubleshoot, and resolve these issues. The issues we have seen so far are not global - they are occurring intermittently and only for a small number of candidates. As we identify fixes we will update the application with the fix. If you do experience a technical issue feel free to email gmatofficialprep@mba.com with a description of your issue and your browser details.
  • Over the next several weeks we will also be rolling out features and updates, including keyboard shortcuts for practice exams, updated exam performance reports, improved exam reviewing functionality, and minor design improvements. We felt it was more important to get the new, shortened practice exams out early rather than wait until every feature was ready before launching. We appreciate your patience as we continue to work on these features!
  • As many of you have seen, we updated our Activation Code migration policy - anyone who has purchased a GMATPrep product from mba.com or upon GMAT registration between Oct 1, 2017 and April 30, 2018 can request an activation code exchange. TODAY (May 18, 2018) is the last day to submit a code exchange request . More details on how to request an activation code exchange process can be found here: https://www.mba.com/us/frequently-asked-questions/gmat-official-practice.aspx#question7, along with other FAQs.
  • The existing downloadable GMATPrep® software will not be updated to reflect the shorter exam structure. You may continue to use the downloadable software if you prefer that option, however note that we will no longer be supporting that version of the product.

We appreciate all the feedback that has been shared on this forum - please do continue to share.

Best of luck on your GMAT preparation!

- OfficialGMAT
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2414 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
OfficialGMAT wrote:
[*] We have discovered some technical bugs and we are actively working to reproduce, troubleshoot, and resolve these issues. The issues we have seen so far are not global - they are occurring intermittently and only for a small number of candidates. As we identify fixes we will update the application with the fix. If you do experience a technical issue feel free to email gmatofficialprep@mba.com with a description of your issue and your browser details.
[*] Over the next several weeks we will also be rolling out features and updates, including keyboard shortcuts for practice exams, updated exam performance reports, improved exam reviewing functionality, and minor design improvements. We felt it was more important to get the new, shortened practice exams out early rather than wait until every feature was ready before launching. We appreciate your patience as we continue to work on these features!

Thank you for the update, Leah! I'm looking forward to the implementation of keyboard shortcut functionality and full diagnostic information on the online tests, among other upcoming improvements to the web-based interface.

I only have one remaining question: will the online Exam Packs in review mode continue to indicate the correct answers, or are you planning to implement a "show answer" button like the one on the desktop GMATPrep software? I am of the opinion that preserving the "show answer" option is more conducive to learning (as is hiding the student's original answer), because it allows the student an opportunity to re-try the question *before* the correct answer is provided.

Much Appreciated,

-Brian
Official GMAC Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Thank you for the update, Leah! I'm looking forward to the implementation of keyboard shortcut functionality and full diagnostic information on the online tests, among other upcoming improvements to the web-based interface.

I only have one remaining question: will the online Exam Packs in review mode continue to indicate the correct answers, or are you planning to implement a "show answer" button like the one on the desktop GMATPrep software? I am of the opinion that preserving the "show answer" option is more conducive to learning (as is hiding the student's original answer), because it allows the student an opportunity to re-try the question *before* the correct answer is provided.

Much Appreciated,

-Brian

Hi Brian,

We have heard similar feedback from a few others and we will look into how we can improve this as well. We certainly want to provide a helpful review experience for students.

Thank you!

- OfficialGMAT
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12