GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 24 May 2018, 18:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
26 KUDOS received
Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 May 2018, 22:06
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

GMAT Test is changing on April 16, 2018 - it will be shortened by 30 minutes

• Number of questions on the test will be reduced:
    • The number of Quant questions will be reduced by 6: from 37 to 31
    • The number of Verbal questions will be reduced by 5: from 41 to 36

Update: distribution of questions in GMAT Prep will be:
    (thanks AjiteshArun for sharing this)

(a) RC: 13-14 (4 passages)
    (b) SC: 12-13
    (c) CR: 9-10
    (d) PS: 17-18
    (e) DS: 13-14

GMAC is being careful not to say that this is the distribution for the GMAT itself as exam requirements could change over time (that is, the distribution of experimental questions can change).

!
    April 30th Update:
    GMAT Prep Downloadable Software is NOT being updated to the latest format. Instead, it is being discontinued
    EP1, EP2, and QP1 are not being updated to the latest format. Instead, GMAC is exchange them for online licenses through May 11th

List of Tests that have been updated for the new format:

1. Veritas Prep CAT's - as of April 12th - You get 1 free CAT; 7 total
    2. GMAT Club CAT's - as of April 13th - You get 1 free CAT; 20+ total
    3. MGMAT CAT's - as of April 16th - You get 1 free CAT; 6 total

• This includes a 23-minute reduction in the exam sections, as well as 7 minute reduction across several non-exam screens at the test center (e.g. Tutorial, Section Instructions).
  • The time per question will be approximately the same. While GMAC says it will remain unchanged, we have calculated it to be 1.62 seconds shorter for quant and 1.42 seconds shorter for verbal:

Quant
    earlier 75x60/37 = 121.62
    now 62x60/31 = 120 seconds

Verbal
    earlier 75/41 = 109.75 seconds
    now 65x60/36 = 108.33 seconds

so 1.42 seconds less per question in verbal
  • The reduction in questions comes from reduction of experimental questions.
  • No Changes to IR or AWA section
  • There are some changes to the on-screen instructions that further reduce time used for the test
  • Reschedule exception for 1 week: If you already have scheduled your tests, you can reschedule an appointment but only if it is before May 6th. You have to do it by April 11th. Not sure why limitations but I guess better than nothing
  • GMAT Prep software should be released by April 30th (along with updated Exam Packs)
  • More FAQ's are here: https://www.mba.com/global/frequently-asked-questions/shorter-gmat-exam.aspx

The Big Unknowns:

• Date of GMAT Prep release - sounds like it is only by April 30th, but hopefully sooner so we can practice
  • Question structure of the RC's. We don't know if we will be losing one passage, or if passages will have fewer questions.

Attachments

M02.jpg
M02.jpg [ 141.46 KiB | Viewed 136315 times ]

GMAT E.jpg
GMAT E.jpg [ 129.69 KiB | Viewed 166290 times ]

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Originally posted by hazelnut on 02 Apr 2018, 21:56.
Last edited by hazelnut on 01 May 2018, 22:06, edited 25 times in total.
Updated with debrief links
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount Codes
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 08:58
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
mcelroytutoring wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
mcelroytutoring - Yes. I did get done a few hours back and scored a 750. Happy to take questions. I will write a more detailed debrief after dinner - maybe in the Share GMAT Experience Forum! Of course, happy to take questions meanwhile.

souvik101990 Congrats on the 750!
1) What was the breakdown of question types in Verbal? Can you confirm 4 RC passages?
2) What was the breakdown of question types in Quant?

Thanks,
Brian

Yes, definitely 4 RC passages. In fact RC seemed to dominate the verbal section decisively. If I am not totally incorrect, I probably had 16 questions in RC, and one passage had 5 questions which really threw me off. It was a heavy passage. SC and CR were spaced out evenly.

For quant my first half was largely PS, but DS increased in my second half of the test. I would say about 45% DS and 55% PS. (probably 17-14)

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re: GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Apr 2018, 09:12
souvik101990 wrote:
Got done with the test a few hours back. Scored a 750 (Q50 V41). It felt really similar to my last test. I am naturally good at SCs and I take more time than I should for RCs, so a few large (really large with contrived questions) threw me off. More details in a few hours.

So overall it felt roughly the same, with just a different concentration of question types on verbal? Would you think this would be advantageous to those who are good with RC and disadvantageous to those who are better at SC? Or do you think it’ll ultimately break even? Did you notice a difference in degree of difficulty for any of the verbal subquestion types? For example, did the CR seem harder than it previously did? Or did the SC seem easier? Etc.

I apologize for the abundance of questions. For whatever reason, the change in the format, when it’s so close to my sitting of the exam, has really captured my imagination.

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by wildhorn on 18 Apr 2018, 09:04.
Last edited by wildhorn on 18 Apr 2018, 09:12, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 09:08
This post received
KUDOS
wildhorn wrote:

So overall it felt roughly the same, with just a different concentration of question types on verbal? Would you think this would be advantageous to those who are good with RC and disadvantageous to those who are better at SC? Or do you think it’ll ultimately break even? Did you notice a difference in degree of difficulty for any of the verbal subquestion types? For example, did the CR seem harder then previously did? Or did the SC seem easier? Etc.

I apologize for the abundance of questions. For whatever reason, the change in the format, when it’s so close to my sitting of the exam, has really captured my imagination.

We are seriously in the exact same position :lol:
Top Contributor
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: 337 Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Apr 2018, 16:19
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
souvik101990 wrote:
Yes, definitely 4 RC passages. In fact RC seemed to dominate the verbal section decisively. If I am not totally incorrect, I probably had 16 questions in RC, and one passage had 5 questions which really threw me off. It was a heavy passage. SC and CR were spaced out evenly.

For quant my first half was largely PS, but DS increased in my second half of the test. I would say about 45% DS and 55% PS. (probably 17-14)

Awesome! Thanks again for the information. It appears to confirm what we have already been told about the upcoming GMATPrep practice exams from the upcoming, updated GMATPrep software (see charts from earlier in this thread)--even though GMAC officially refuses to commit to any fixed number of question types per GMAT, given that the experimental questions might be drawn from any question type.

OK, I'll stop pestering you for test data now! Go eat some dinner, get some rest, and give us all the details in a G-Day debrief whenever you're ready. Seriously though, thanks for your contribution...I know that there are a lot of anxious test-takers with upcoming test dates who are scouring these posts for information about the new exam, and I'm sure that they appreciate it too. :-)

Also, a quick reminder, since some readers seem to be misinterpreting the shorter GMAT as having fewer scored questions: the new GMAT has exactly the same number of scored/counted questions: 30 on Verbal, 28 on Quant, and 9 on IR. The only questions that were removed (5 on Verbal and 6 on Quant) were experimental, unscored questions.

-Brian

p.s. If you were indeed served a whopping 16 RC questions out of the 36 total questions on Verbal--almost half the section--then I would guess that you had 4 experimentals on RC, 0 on CR and on 2 SC. That would mean that you had 12 counted questions on RC, 10 counted questions on SC, and 8 counted questions on CR, which has a nice symmetry to it and reflects the relative balance of question types on the new Verbal sections of the upcoming, updated GMATPrep tests.

The GMAC will never admit this, but 12RC / 10 SC / 8 CR seems like a likely split for the counted questions on the Verbal section of the real GMAT. Likewise, there are probably about 15 counted PS and 13 counted DS on Quant, meaning that you were most likely served 2 PS experimentals and 1 DS experimental.

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y8zh6qby Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 18 Apr 2018, 09:22.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 18 Apr 2018, 16:19, edited 15 times in total.
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.55

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 12:08
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks a lot GMATCLUB especially Brian and Souvik..
Now the most accepted split is as follows:
RC (4 Passages) = 14Q (13-14 window moves rightward as Souvik mentioned 16 RC!)
SC = 12Q
CR = 10Q (Souvik said even split SC-CR, still lets say CR 10)
Now this is probably the combination that is most time consuming (due to lesser SC and more RC). So our prep must focus on this part. Also GMAT must be trying to woo more non-natives and GRE-mid way preparation dudes to shift towards taking GMAT than GRE. GRE verbal mostly contains of RC (50%+ questions!!). 'Presumably' RC doesn't need too much of preparation compared to SC - a factor that matters a lot to busy executives (especially since Executive Assessment of GMAC has tanked to attract much business). This is a wise move by GMAC from their strategic point of view.
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 12:31
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I took it today as well (for the first time) and I thought quant went fine overall. However, I’ve always struggled more with Verbal so I think the timing with still 4 RC threw me off. I also personally thought SC was harder than usual, but CR wasn’t that bad. I ended up scoring a 650 (Q48, V31), when I usually score V34-36.

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 1

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 13:21
Damn! I was always killing the RC but did poorly on SC, wish they made this happen last year. But one can only suspect GMAT scores to go up, especially with native speakers who struggle more on SC due to our "bad" use of English
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 13:46
Are they still scoring the same amount of total questions in each respective verbal section? For example if you used to get 17 SC, but say only 11 were scored. Is it now that you’re getting 12 but only 11 are scored? In other words, is this actually going to change the verbal score?

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 13:53
wildhorn wrote:
Are they still scoring the same amount of total questions in each respective verbal section? For example if you used to get 17 SC, but say only 11 were scored. Is it now that you’re getting 12 but only 11 are scored? In other words, is this actually going to change the verbal score?

That's correct. Only the number of experimental questions is changing and hence, the number of questions you were scored on remains unchanged.

GMAT Preparation Online- World's Most Exhaustive GMAT Prep Program | Gain 7-days demo access (includes a full length test)

Top Contributor
SVP
SVP
S

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2018, 19:02
Top Contributor
FYI the GMAT Pill free online GMAT CAT test has been updated to reflect the shorter GMAT exam:

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... ctice-test

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2018, 20:45
This is great! Waiting for the debrief. Pressure is high as the dates are nearing!
Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2018, 21:22
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
GMATPill wrote:

The old Quant section had 37 questions, not 39 (not that it matters much anymore).

-Brian

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y8zh6qby Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2018, 03:54
I've GMAT on 4th May and this sudden change in format has already taken a toll. It would be of immense help if anyone could debrief their exam experience post the change.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2018, 09:22
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
souvik101990 wrote:
mcelroytutoring wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
mcelroytutoring - Yes. I did get done a few hours back and scored a 750. Happy to take questions. I will write a more detailed debrief after dinner - maybe in the Share GMAT Experience Forum! Of course, happy to take questions meanwhile.

souvik101990 Congrats on the 750!
1) What was the breakdown of question types in Verbal? Can you confirm 4 RC passages?
2) What was the breakdown of question types in Quant?

Thanks,
Brian

Hey Souvik, Loved your debrief "Four years to 760 - my journey". In fact I have bookmarked it and I have re-read it a many times, as it is one of my source of motivation

I want to ask you 5 questions about the new GMAT structure:

1. Was your preparation, for quant and verbal, the same or different for the 18th April exam and the last one where you scored 760.
2. Did you feel differently, less exhausted or more exhausted?
3. What was the order of your exam (Quant-Verbal-IR-AWA or Verbal-Quant-IR-AWA or AWA-IR-Quant-Verbal)?
4. Was there any difference in the order you took your exam or the same as last one where you scored 760?
5. Was there a huge variation in your verbal scores of the GMATPrep Mock Tests and the GMAT?
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2018, 11:28
So gave the GMAT today, and it didn't turn out to be a good day. I was above decent in quant (Q49 -mostly / 50 - rarely), but during the test my mind stopped working. May be I practiced a little too many hard GMAT Club difficult questions and thus was spending more than 2 min on initial questions and then things derailed quickly. Anyway, I have a fix for that.

The reason I am writing this post is too seek help in Verbal. There were 4 RCs, 13-14 SCs and 9-10 CRs. SC questions were well within the reach and answered confidently (thanks to e-GMAT). I had to skip 1 full RC and 2 CR to complete the test. Blunder, I know! Scored V34. Could anyone please guide me on how I can become a pro in CR? My average time to answer the question is 2:30s (dubious) and I am in c.80%ile (given adequate time). I want to bring the time to under 2 min and at least maintain the same %ile. There is an overwhelming amount of resources, and I have limited time as I work in banking, so would be great to know which is the best source for CR. Willing to subscribe and pay. Specifically, which course teaches the best strategy and has 700 level good questions to practice. Have already done e-GMAT. It is good, but still I couldn't reduce the average time. Also, any good resource to practice RC questions? I have about a month before I intend to give the exam again. Any experts in this section, pls save me. Much appreciated!
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2018, 11:33
This post was
BOOKMARKED
yugansh01 wrote:
So gave the GMAT today, and it didn't turn out to be a good day. I was above decent in quant (Q49 -mostly / 50 - rarely), but during the test my mind stopped working. May be I practiced a little too many hard GMAT Club difficult questions and thus was spending more than 2 min on initial questions and then things derailed quickly. Anyway, I have a fix for that.

The reason I am writing this post is too seek help in Verbal. There were 4 RCs, 13-14 SCs and 9-10 CRs. SC questions were well within the reach and answered confidently (thanks to e-GMAT). I had to skip 1 full RC and 2 CR to complete the test. Blunder, I know! Scored V34. Could anyone please guide me on how I can become a pro in CR? My average time to answer the question is 2:30s (dubious) and I am in c.80%ile (given adequate time). I want to bring the time to under 2 min and at least maintain the same %ile. There is an overwhelming amount of resources, and I have limited time as I work in banking, so would be great to know which is the best source for CR. Willing to subscribe and pay. Specifically, which course teaches the best strategy and has 700 level good questions to practice. Have already done e-GMAT. It is good, but still I couldn't reduce the average time. Also, any good resource to practice RC questions? I have about a month before I intend to give the exam again. Any experts in this section, pls save me. Much appreciated!
how much did you score in this test

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.55

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2018, 20:56
This post received
KUDOS
Now it's time for analyzing Souvik's ESR.. Can you pl share? Any other test takers...
:)
Thanks in advance
Top Contributor
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 22 Apr 2018, 13:18
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
It appears that we are at a bit of a crossroads in terms of new information regarding the shorter, updated GMAT--at least until the updated GMATPrep software is released on April 27th. The biggest news is that the frequency of question types on Verbal has changed; otherwise the test has just become a bit shorter, with fewer experimentals.

Until a test-taker goes in and meticulously writes down exactly how many questions he/she was served of each type on Verbal and Quant, and memorizes it over the course of the test / shares a detailed debrief with those exact numbers, this is going to become mostly a guessing game.

However, we can be happy that all the basics are quite clear at this point, and the only fact left to clearly establish is the precise balance of question types, particularly on Verbal, which according to GMAC does in fact vary from test to test depending on the need for developing new experimental questions in each type, and thus may never be precisely established anyway.

Besides, the much more relevant issue is the number of counted questions per test. My best guess is 12 RC (4 passages), 10 SC, 8 CR, 15 PS and 13 DS.

Good luck on the new test, everyone!

-Brian

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 22 Apr 2018, 09:10.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 22 Apr 2018, 13:18, edited 5 times in total.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 09:47
This post received
KUDOS
Well, the news is out! Updated GMATPrep practice exams will be available on 27 April 2018.

Source: https://www.mba.com/india/store/store-c ... tware.aspx

--
Prayas Tiwari
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 10:20
mcelroytutoring wrote:
It appears that we are at a bit of a crossroads in terms of new information regarding the shorter, updated GMAT. The biggest news is that the frequency of question types on Verbal has changed--otherwise the test has just become a bit shorter, with fewer experimentals.

Until a test-taker goes in and meticulously writes down exactly how many questions he/she were served of each type on Verbal and Quant, and memorizes it over the course of the test / shares a detailed debrief with those exact numbers, this is going to become mostly a guessing game.

However, we can be happy that all the basics are quite clear at this point, and the only fact left to precisely establish is the precise balance of question types, particularly on Verbal, which according to GMAC does in fact vary from test to test depending on the need for developing new experimental questions in each type, and thus may never be precisely established anyway.

Besides, the much more relevant issue is the number of counted questions per test. My best guess is 12 RC (4 passages), 10 SC, 8 CR, 15 PS and 13 CR.

Good luck on the new test, everyone!

-Brian

Do you think the number of counted questions has changed from the previous test? For example do you think the GMAC used to count 12 SC versus 10 SC? Or do you think that is static

Re: GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter   [#permalink] 22 Apr 2018, 10:20

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15  ...  19    Next  [ 379 posts ] 

GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR MAY
Math Revolution - $79/3 mo Special sale until May 31
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - Free Full GMAT video course, 100% free
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap