GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2019, 04:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

New GMAC Product: "Official Advanced Questions" is Available!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
New GMAC Product: "Official Advanced Questions" is Available!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 Oct 2019, 07:58
GMAC's New Product GMAT Official Advanced Questions is Here!

The new book is out and is available for immediate use:

Here is a brief overview and some discoveries about the book and its contents:

1. There are 150 Quant and 150 Verbal Questions.
    • 67 PS Questions
    • 83 DS Questions
    • 50 RC's (I saw at least one RC I did not recognize)
    • 49 CR's
    • 51 SC's
  2. The categories that these are split into are very odd and unusual but the GREAT news is that these match the ESR categories. For example, CR is split into Analysis/Critique and Construction/Plan and SC into Communication and Grammar. If one of you figures out the meaning behind these, let me know ;-)
  3. There are some combinations and bold face questions
  4. Probably the most valuable aspect of the book is that it contains EXPLANATIONS. While I have been able to find some of the questions from the old Power Prep Software, those questions never had explanations (just like their cousins in the GMAT Prep online), so it is great and helpful to get those explanations and resolve those decade-long debates we had about why some of the CR/SC answer choices were wrong.

Should You Buy It?

$22 for 100 new hard questions + 200 old ones in a single collection is a good deal compared to new OG editions to get 100 new easy/medium questions for $35. It is going to esp. valuable for retakers who ordered ESR's since this book actually matches those categories. I was somewhat cold about it at first, but I think it is a BUY in my book (sorry for the bad pun). On a serious note, if you are struggling with the GMAT, this book is not for you and it is only going to distract you. On the other hand, if you are up there and looking to bump up your score a bit, this collection of Harder Official Questions and Explanations!!! and a Match for ESR categories (helpful to retakers) is going to be very handy and it is a fairly inexpensive add on. The main value would be from those 150 Explanations for the Verbal section. However, I would NOT replace the main OG with this book and would only buy it in addition. I am going to do a deeper dive once I get my print copy this weekend. Get one from Amazon.

Here is the Overview by the Number of Questions, Total: 300

My Take:
  • Any new products from GMAC is great news! The last product they released was the ExamPack 2 (Tests 5&6) which has come out over 3 years ago.
  • Advanced means hard and that's always a positive!
  • Both Quant and Verbal questions are included and I am assuming with explanations!
  • $30 for 300 HARD official questions is a pretty good deal in my book. I will definitely get a copy on Amazon (and will share my impressions once I get my hands on it)
  • Would I delay or reschedule my test because of this book? Definitely not
  • Best use? Use an error log/guide to find specific questions for practice you need or just
  • I am a bit concerned that these questions will not be new to the world but perhaps old OG 10 questions or retired GMAT Prep questions. I am hoping I am wrong but we have seen this pattern in the past with the Exam Packs and Official Guides

How to Get It?
So far only available on Amazon for $30 but I suspect it will be available at Wiley/Efficient Learning and also on GMAC's website in the coming weeks. Currently there is only an option to win it for free (GMAC is running a contest right now to win 5 copies)

What do you think about the cover?

Originally posted by bb on 04 Sep 2019, 10:39.
Last edited by bb on 23 Oct 2019, 07:58, edited 12 times in total.
Updated Early Release Date
Board of Directors
D
Re: New GMAC Product: "Official Advanced Questions" is Available!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2019, 10:47
Top Contributor
SC Moderator
P
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GPA: 3.6
WE: Sales (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2019, 17:40
It looks there will be 100 brand new questions. 46 verbal questions and 54 quantitative questions are never before seen and have not appeared in any previous GMAT Official Prep products.

I, for one, am very much looking forward to taking a look at these 100 new questions.

How to sort questions by Topic, Difficulty, and Source:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?view=search_tags
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2019, 21:20
Hi bb I am planning to schedule my test the next week. Do you think these extra 300 questions will provide any insights which can help me practice similar questions which might appear in the test.
The time of the announcement is so inappropriate I think. Now, I am finding it a little hard time to decide .Please advise
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2019, 21:22
As I mentioned in the post I would not have this product release influence my test date. You will not see any of these questions on your test. Many of these are expected to be very old questions from the paper tests.

Posted from my mobile device
G
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2019, 21:29
bb wrote:
As I mentioned in the post I would not have this product release influence my test date. You will not see any of these questions on your test. Many of these are expected to be very old questions from the paper tests.

Posted from my mobile device

Okay thanks for the advise!

I found out a preview copy and many of the questions are already discussed on gmatclub.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2019, 21:17
Well... No need to wait until the 27th! The Book is Available!

The new book is out and is available for immediate use from:

I got a copy and checking through the questions right now to see if I recognize any of them. I recognized quite a few, including one from my GMAT Prep test back in 2002 :) so keep in mind that it is collection of 300 hard questions but only 100 or so are really new. Still a decent deal for $22+tax but don't expect it to blow you away.
P
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2019, 21:22
Hello Sir,
will you be providing a brief review of this book as well? Same as you did for MGMAT new books (not that detailed may be)

Thank you!

The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long

Learn from the Legend himself: All GMAT Ninja LIVE YouTube videos by topic
You are missing on great learning if you don't know what this is: Project SC Butler
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2019, 21:49

• 67 PS Questions
    • 83 DS Questions
    • 49 CR's
    • 51 SC's
  2. The categories that these are split into are very odd and unusual. For example, CR is split into Analysis/Critique and Construction/Plan and SC into Communication and Grammar. If one of you figures out the meaning behind these, let me know ;-)
  4. Probably the most valuable aspect of the book is that it contains EXPLANATIONS. While I have been able to find some of the questions from the old Power Prep Software, those questions never had explanations (just like their cousins in the GMAT Prep online), so it is great and helpful to get those explanations and resolve those decade-long debates we had about why some of the CR/SC answer choices were wrong.

Attachment:
Official Questions Advanced.png
Official Questions Advanced.png [ 23.55 KiB | Viewed 6514 times ]

P
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2019, 21:51
Thank you bb :)

The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long

Learn from the Legend himself: All GMAT Ninja LIVE YouTube videos by topic
You are missing on great learning if you don't know what this is: Project SC Butler
Board of Directors
D

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2019, 00:32
Top Contributor
Board of Directors
D

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2019, 03:39
Top Contributor
My feeling is that, based on more than a clue and observation, that GMAC in somehow mimics ETS and the GRE exam. Not so much in the contents (which have some sort of overlap, though: RC and CR) but in the categorization.

What that means: look at the menu in the OG Verbal review 2020

Attachment:
shot28.jpg
shot28.jpg [ 82.79 KiB | Viewed 5572 times ]

Now at the new book

Attachment:
shot27.jpg
shot27.jpg [ 96.24 KiB | Viewed 5574 times ]

They never until now called the verbal and quant section: Verbal reasoning (which is so indeed) and Quantitative reasoning as ETS calls them into GRE OGs.

maybe all this is just my assumption. However, I am pretty confident something is going this way :)

Moreover, I did not go through the guide in its entirety but the first CR which is a bold face we do have already

https://gmatclub.com/forum/most-of-west ... 21820.html

Which has the tag sub-600 level :idontknow:

Regards
B
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2019, 07:41
bb wrote:

• 67 PS Questions
    • 83 DS Questions
    • 49 CR's
    • 51 SC's
  2. The categories that these are split into are very odd and unusual. For example, CR is split into Analysis/Critique and Construction/Plan and SC into Communication and Grammar. If one of you figures out the meaning behind these, let me know ;-)

Attachment:
Official Questions Advanced.png

hey BB,

That's how we see the break down on the ESR. CR: Analysis/Critique and Construction/Plan and SC: Communication and Grammar. I am curious to know now as to what type of questions determine these skills? Haha the ESR sections always bothered me.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Sep 2019, 10:45
ari.banerjee wrote:

hey BB,

That's how we see the break down on the ESR. CR: Analysis/Critique and Construction/Plan and SC: Communication and Grammar. I am curious to know now as to what type of questions determine these skills? Haha the ESR sections always bothered me.

Analysis/Critique is boldface, traditional weaken/strengthen, issue/criticism
  1. In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?
  2. Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?
  3. Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?
  4. The above argument is most vulnerable to which of the following objections?
  5. The banker's argument is most vulnerable to criticism on which of the following grounds?
  6. Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the above justification of the claim that ....?
  7. Which of the following, if true, most supports the researchers' conclusion?
  8. The underlying strategy of the spokesperson's response to the resident is most analogous to the underlying strategy of which of the following?
  9. Which of the following would, if true, provide the most additional support for the scientists' conclusion?
  10. Which of the following would, if true, most weaken the advertisement's reasoning?
  11. Which of the following is the main point of the consumer advocate's argument?
  12. Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the columnist's argument?
  13. In order to assess the strength of the psychologist's argument, it would be most helpful to know whether
  14. Therese responds to Mansour's proposal by doing which of the following?
  15. Of the following, which is the best criticism of the argument reported above?
  16. Each of the following, if true, weakens the argument above EXCEPT
  17. Which of the following, if true, would cast most doubt on the conclusion in the passage?

Construction/plan is Argument Construction (which is seems to include assumptions questions), Evaluation of a plan, complete argument, non-traditional strengthen/weaken (such as which of the following would be most detrimental or undermine).
  1. Which of the following is an assumption required by Cicero's reasoning?
  2. .... it would be most useful to determine which of the following?
  3. Which of the following most logically completes the scientist's argument?
  4. Which of the following, if true, would best explain the nutritionists' lack of concern?
  5. Which of the following would, if true, provide the strongest reason for .... ?
  6. Which of the following, if true, most seriously calls into question the advisability of implementing the proposal?
  7. The biologist's conclusion follows logically from the above if which of the following is assumed?
  8. Which of the following would, if true, indicate a serious potential weakness of the suggested plan of action?
  9. The researchers' hypothesis requires which of the following assumptions?
  10. Which of the following would it be most useful to establish in order to evaluate the effectiveness of the device for its intended purpose?
  11. Among the following statements, which is it most reasonable to infer from the assertions by ....
  12. Which of the following, if true, best reconciles the discrepancy between ....
  13. Which of the following, if true, is the strongest basis for arguing that ....
  14. Which of the following, if true, is the single factor most likely to explain...
  15. Which of the following is an assumption made in drawing the conclusion above?
  16. If the statements above are true, then it is also true that....
  17. Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the claim above about...
  18. Which of the following must be true on the basis of the statements in the advertisement above?

Originally posted by bb on 19 Sep 2019, 08:48.
Last edited by bb on 19 Sep 2019, 10:45, edited 2 times in total.
Update
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2019, 10:44
I have updated the list of questions that each of the CR categories includes
V

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2019, 16:27
Quick update - The GMAT Advanced Guide is actually more helpful than the Official Guides. It includes a number of Tips in the explanations, and I recommend reading through the explanations and tips. Some are quite handy such as about elementary combinatorics. I can only see the tips in the Quant section of the book (no tips at all in Verbal) but even that is helpful. :thumbup:

Whoever was the quantitative editor, they did a good job and went beyond the call of duty to help the applicant. It seems the Verbal editor has not gone at those lengths. However, the verbal portion does discuss every single answer choice and specifies why they are incorrect.

P.S. the cover material is a bit strange to the touch. My main complaint so far :cool:
G

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2019, 23:40
bb wrote:
[*] 50 RC's (I saw at least one RC I did not recognize)

could someone explain what is source of RC ? I mean it is from paper test or old prep ? I eagerly want to know that.
V

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2019, 11:08
09173140521 wrote:
bb wrote:
[*] 50 RC's (I saw at least one RC I did not recognize)

could someone explain what is source of RC ? I mean it is from paper test or old prep ? I eagerly want to know that.

I have checked and 5 out of 8 RC's are new and never before seen! So it makes this book even more valuable!
P.S. It does contain explanations for RC's but I noticed that the online version seems to be having a bit of an issue with RC's. Let me knwo if anyone else is having issues when accessing it online through bookshelf.vitalsource.com
G

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2019, 00:27
not good time for releasing such book.
8000 thousand official questions ever published , I hope too see a lot of new question in EXAM DATE ! I hope Leah DELIVER my hello to GMAC.
about 2 year if were to the Everest I absolutely say I can do it .
GMAC says just think outside the box ....now I MUST say I LOST the box .where is that box ! lol
V
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GPA: 3.97
WE: Project Management (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2019, 19:54
Hi bb,
IS online purchase through gmac website the only option for people outside U.S?
Do you know if I purchase it online , will it come with a validity or an year or so?
Could not find this info on gmac site. Can you help
https://www.efficientlearning.com/gmat/ ... ons-ebook/
GMAT Club Bot
Re: New GMAC Product: "Official Advanced Questions" is Available!   [#permalink] 25 Sep 2019, 19:54

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 42 posts ] 

New GMAC Product: "Official Advanced Questions" is Available!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep