GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2019, 20:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

New GMAC Product: "Official Advanced Questions" is Available!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: New GMAC Product: "Official Advanced Questions" is Available!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2019, 20:03
globaldesi wrote:
Hi bb,
IS online purchase through gmac website the only option for people outside U.S?
Do you know if I purchase it online , will it come with a validity or an year or so?
Could not find this info on gmac site. Can you help
https://www.efficientlearning.com/gmat/ ... ons-ebook/

If you purchase an eBOOK, it will have an unlimited validity, so your grandkids can read it too :)
However, the online access to the GMAC's quiz engine on their site has only a 1-year access validity. (That's an inconvenient online system for taking the questions in a quiz format and that has a 1-year life span).
V
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GPA: 3.97
WE: Project Management (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2019, 20:05
bb wrote:
globaldesi wrote:
Hi bb,
Do you know if I purchase it online , will it come with a validity or an year or so?

If you purchase an eBOOK, it will have an unlimited validity, so your grandkids can read it too :)
However, the online access to the GMAC's quiz engine on their site has only a 1-year access validity. (That's an inconvenient online system for taking the questions in a quiz format and that has a 1-year life span).

So i will buy online version then.
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2019, 03:08
globaldesi wrote:
bb wrote:
globaldesi wrote:
Hi bb,

So i will buy online version then.

Hi globaldesi,

Just an update, the book is now available on Amazon India for roughly $20. The delivery starts on 28th September.

All the best!
Director
Director
V
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
WE: Project Management (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2019, 10:00
Thanks Rohan
I will order from Amazon India then.
Thanks

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
P
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2019, 19:33
Top Contributor
I received my copy in the mail today!

How do we know for sure that there are 100 new questions, and 200 repeats of old questions? Do we have a source for that information, or is that simply an approximation? If we have a source, then shouldn't we be able to make a list of exactly which questions are new (and by extension, which ones aren't)?

In the book (Chapter 1) it simply says "Some of these questions have appeared in earlier editions of the GMAT Official Guide series; others have never been published before."

-Brian

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V.

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y7knw7bt Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Contact: mcelroy@post.harvard.edu (I do not respond to PMs on GMAT Club) or find me on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/GMATpreparation
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
V
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2019, 00:22
mcelroytutoring wrote:
I received my copy in the mail today!

How do we know for sure that there are 100 new questions, and 200 repeats of old questions? Do we have a source for that information, or is that simply an approximation? If we have a source, then shouldn't we be able to make a list of exactly which questions are new (and by extension, which ones aren't)?

In the book (Chapter 1) it simply says "Some of these questions have appeared in earlier editions of the GMAT Official Guide series; others have never been published before."

-Brian

I think those 100 new questions are officially confirmed by GMAC official account here on gmat club
P
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2019, 14:10
globaldesi wrote:
Hi bb,

I purchased 2019 GMAT official guide from efficientlearning 2 years ago. You have perpetual access to the ebook, but the online access to the same question bank is valid for just one year, which is the same limitation for paper book buyers.

Do take note that the APP to read the ebook is called VitalSource Bookshelf, which is a rather obscure app. You have to install this app in order to read one or more GMAT book(s). I have to wonder if VitalSource can maintain its vitality for ever.

(Just launched this app. It requires mandatory upgrade. So much hassle for just one book.)

That was the only VitalSource book I purchased. And I intend to keep it that way.

Hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
P
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Sep 2019, 14:37
Amazon hikes the price for this book from $21.57, which I paid last Friday, to $28.45 now. Their smart pricing algorithm must have sensed palpable interest in this book and promptly taken advantage of it in order to fatten AMZN's bottom line by just a couple bucks per order.

Five days after my order, the book is still not shipped out though because I am not currently a Prime member. While I can understand that they want to choose the slowest shipment method for non-prime customers, deliberately postponing shipment date, in my opinion, is rather despicable.

Originally posted by zhanbo on 27 Sep 2019, 14:29.
Last edited by zhanbo on 27 Sep 2019, 14:37, edited 2 times in total.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2019, 14:30
Thanks for posting. I also found that you can access it through a browser but vital source does not make it very friendly to find the link. It seems they want you to download their app on the computer or your mobile device. Here is the link:

https://bookshelf.vitalsource.com

( note however that there is currently a bug in the reading comprehension section of the online version; no issues with the app)

PS. And as with all digital content, your ownership lasts only as long as the reader and the company that published that contact is in business. If you bought a movie from Apple and then Apple goes out of business, you probably won’t be able to watch a movie ...

V

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2019, 14:33
Sorry about this. Super annoying. I found a number of glitches in their shipping process even for the prime customers. I think it’s likely glitches rather than malicious intent.

I do know however that if you pre-order a book, as I often do months and years in advance, they often prioritize you last. I do know however that if you pre-order a book, as I often do months and years in advance, they often prioritize me last. :(

Super annoying.

PS. The change in price may have something to do with the original release date of September 26. Perhaps there was some kind of a promo or something like that resulting into a lower price though the 30% discount is pretty common in books.

zhanbo wrote:
Amazon hikes the price for this book from $21.57, which I paid last Friday, to $28.45 now. Their smart pricing algorithm must have sensed palpable interest in this book and promptly taken advantage of it in order to fatten AMZN's bottom line by just a couple bucks per order.

Five days after my order, the book is still not shipped out though because I am not currently a Prime member. While I can understand that they want to choose the slowest shipment method for non-prime customers, deliberately postponing shipment date, in my opinion, is rather despicable.

B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2019, 06:09
Hi bb
How hard would the rate the questions in this book? I'm getting about 70% of the questions in quant in the book correct and want to score 50-51 on the test. Any advice?
Thanks

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2019, 08:55
zhanbo wrote:
globaldesi wrote:
Hi bb,

I purchased 2019 GMAT official guide from efficientlearning 2 years ago. You have perpetual access to the ebook, but the online access to the same question bank is valid for just one year, which is the same limitation for paper book buyers.

Do take note that the APP to read the ebook is called VitalSource Bookshelf, which is a rather obscure app. You have to install this app in order to read one or more GMAT book(s). I have to wonder if VitalSource can maintain its vitality for ever.

(Just launched this app. It requires mandatory upgrade. So much hassle for just one book.)

That was the only VitalSource book I purchased. And I intend to keep it that way.

Hope this helps!

I agree with zhanbo that it's not ideal to use such an obscure app for the online version. If the software-maker goes under, I assume that we'd lose access to the book.

Strangely, the app is actually pretty decent. My copies of the 2020 OGs and the Advanced GMAT book are both on the VitalSource app, and I don't mind it at all. Everything is intuitive, and the book loads quickly.

So for whatever it's worth, if you're worried about functionality, the VitalSource Bookshelf isn't awful. I don't know if the app will still exist in 6 months, but it's fine for now. :)

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.61
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2019, 12:00
bb wrote:
I have updated the list of questions that each of the CR categories includes

Hi,

Similarly, could you also share what does each of the SC categories(Communication and Grammar) includes?

Thank you :D
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2019, 13:34
jayarora wrote:
bb wrote:
I have updated the list of questions that each of the CR categories includes

Hi,

Similarly, could you also share what does each of the SC categories(Communication and Grammar) includes?

Thank you :D

You can use the Official Advanced Questions Directory: https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-gma ... 07043.html
Communication Section is 250-279 and Grammar Section is 280-300

B

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2019, 13:52
bb wrote:
09173140521 wrote:
bb wrote:
[*] 50 RC's (I saw at least one RC I did not recognize)

could someone explain what is source of RC ? I mean it is from paper test or old prep ? I eagerly want to know that.

I have checked and 5 out of 8 RC's are new and never before seen! So it makes this book even more valuable!
P.S. It does contain explanations for RC's but I noticed that the online version seems to be having a bit of an issue with RC's. Let me knwo if anyone else is having issues when accessing it online through bookshelf.vitalsource.com

Hey bb,
So how about the SC and CR section? DO they have a substantial overlap with any of the existing OGs? I'm interested only in the Verbal part of the book. Wanted to know if it's worth buying just for the Verbal part or would you recommend QP1 over this one? (In short, as far as overlap and difficulty level is concerned which is good for Verbal, QP1 (404 questions) or this advanced book (300 questions)?)
Thanks in advance :)
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2019, 14:16
Please see right ABOVE your post. There is a link with the details.

Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.64
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2019, 09:59
you can buy it through Amazon. :cool:
Yes, the validity is one year .

globaldesi wrote:
Hi bb,

B
New GMAC Product: "Official Advanced Questions" is Available!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2019, 23:34
Hi Experts. From what I understand if I purchase the Online Question Bank, the questions will be available in the Wiley Efficient Learning app. However, my Wiley Efficient Learning app currently has all the OG 2019 questions (which are unanswered as I solved the OG 2019 on paper and not on the app). So my question is, will I be able to distinguish between these questions and the OG question? It would be a problem if I can't. Please help.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2019, 23:36
Yes. You will. Each product and question bank is isolated in a unique URL/bucket.

B

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2019, 00:15
bb wrote:
Yes. You will. Each product and question bank is isolated in a unique URL/bucket.

Thank you so much bb for the prompt reply. Now that you mentioned I noticed that my OG 2019, OG 2019 QR and OG 2019 VR are in different buckets. This is good news since I prefer buying these Online so that I can practice them online like the actual GMAT instead of on Paper. Appreciate the help. Thank you :)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: New GMAC Product: "Official Advanced Questions" is Available!   [#permalink] 25 Oct 2019, 00:15

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 42 posts ] 

New GMAC Product: "Official Advanced Questions" is Available!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep