GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 24 May 2018, 18:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
26 KUDOS received
Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 May 2018, 22:06
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

GMAT Test is changing on April 16, 2018 - it will be shortened by 30 minutes

• Number of questions on the test will be reduced:
    • The number of Quant questions will be reduced by 6: from 37 to 31
    • The number of Verbal questions will be reduced by 5: from 41 to 36

Update: distribution of questions in GMAT Prep will be:
    (thanks AjiteshArun for sharing this)

(a) RC: 13-14 (4 passages)
    (b) SC: 12-13
    (c) CR: 9-10
    (d) PS: 17-18
    (e) DS: 13-14

GMAC is being careful not to say that this is the distribution for the GMAT itself as exam requirements could change over time (that is, the distribution of experimental questions can change).

!
    April 30th Update:
    GMAT Prep Downloadable Software is NOT being updated to the latest format. Instead, it is being discontinued
    EP1, EP2, and QP1 are not being updated to the latest format. Instead, GMAC is exchange them for online licenses through May 11th

List of Tests that have been updated for the new format:

1. Veritas Prep CAT's - as of April 12th - You get 1 free CAT; 7 total
    2. GMAT Club CAT's - as of April 13th - You get 1 free CAT; 20+ total
    3. MGMAT CAT's - as of April 16th - You get 1 free CAT; 6 total

• This includes a 23-minute reduction in the exam sections, as well as 7 minute reduction across several non-exam screens at the test center (e.g. Tutorial, Section Instructions).
  • The time per question will be approximately the same. While GMAC says it will remain unchanged, we have calculated it to be 1.62 seconds shorter for quant and 1.42 seconds shorter for verbal:

Quant
    earlier 75x60/37 = 121.62
    now 62x60/31 = 120 seconds

Verbal
    earlier 75/41 = 109.75 seconds
    now 65x60/36 = 108.33 seconds

so 1.42 seconds less per question in verbal
  • The reduction in questions comes from reduction of experimental questions.
  • No Changes to IR or AWA section
  • There are some changes to the on-screen instructions that further reduce time used for the test
  • Reschedule exception for 1 week: If you already have scheduled your tests, you can reschedule an appointment but only if it is before May 6th. You have to do it by April 11th. Not sure why limitations but I guess better than nothing
  • GMAT Prep software should be released by April 30th (along with updated Exam Packs)
  • More FAQ's are here: https://www.mba.com/global/frequently-asked-questions/shorter-gmat-exam.aspx

The Big Unknowns:

• Date of GMAT Prep release - sounds like it is only by April 30th, but hopefully sooner so we can practice
  • Question structure of the RC's. We don't know if we will be losing one passage, or if passages will have fewer questions.

Attachments

M02.jpg
M02.jpg [ 141.46 KiB | Viewed 136331 times ]

GMAT E.jpg
GMAT E.jpg [ 129.69 KiB | Viewed 166306 times ]

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Originally posted by hazelnut on 02 Apr 2018, 21:56.
Last edited by hazelnut on 01 May 2018, 22:06, edited 25 times in total.
Updated with debrief links
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount CodesJamboree Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
G
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Re: GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 02:01
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
GMAT Official Practice Exams reflecting the shortened Quantitative and Verbal section lengths will be released no later than April 30, 2018. Additional details and FAQs for the same will be provided prior to the release.

Now thats a bummer for those who want to practice with the new pattern! This change should have been planned well in advance so that the GMATPrep software is also updated on April 16th

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!

2 KUDOS received
Senior CR Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 02:30
This post received
KUDOS
pikolo2510 wrote:
Eager to see the # of RCs in the new pattern. I believe we will have only 3 RCs in the new pattern. (Fingers crossed)

I don't think GMAC will reduce the number of passages in each test to 3. I think there are still 4 passages with 3 questions each.

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

1 KUDOS received
Senior CR Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 02:31
This post received
KUDOS
Overall, GMAC makes Verbal section harder. Test takers will have less time per Verbal question in the new format. Fewer questions also means that the score will be hurt much more if test takers take any question wrong.

New Error Log with Timer

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 02:51
This post received
KUDOS
pikolo2510 wrote:
Eager to see the # of RCs in the new pattern. I believe we will have only 3 RCs in the new pattern. (Fingers crossed)

3 RC's 4 questions each?
or 4RC's 3 questions each?
or 1 RC with 6 questions
2 Rc's with 3 questions each

10 CR/14 SC/12 RC would be nice imo
BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 02:52
pikolo2510 wrote:
Quote:
GMAT Official Practice Exams reflecting the shortened Quantitative and Verbal section lengths will be released no later than April 30, 2018. Additional details and FAQs for the same will be provided prior to the release.

Now thats a bummer for those who want to practice with the new pattern! This change should have been planned well in advance so that the GMATPrep software is also updated on April 16th

Agree
BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 02:54
broall wrote:
Overall, GMAC makes Verbal section harder. Test takers will have less time per Verbal question in the new format. Fewer questions also means that the score will be hurt much more if test takers take any question wrong.

How much of an impact will 1.4 seconds make on the overall outcome of a question? Wouldn't the pre phasing, thinking, POE start like in the first minute?
If the 1.x seconds does make a huge difference how to practice now?
1 KUDOS received
Senior CR Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 03:11
This post received
KUDOS
Hatakekakashi wrote:
broall wrote:

How much of an impact will 1.4 seconds make on the overall outcome of a question? Wouldn't the pre phasing, thinking, POE start like in the first minute?
If the 1.x seconds does make a huge difference how to practice now?

How to practice? Harder I guess. Reduce the avg taken time per question => the test is more stressful.

I am afraid that the worst case is that there will be 4 passages with 3 questions each => more time to complete RC questions. A passage with 4 questions is easier than a passage with 3 questions, suppose that two passages are the same.

New Error Log with Timer

Manager
Manager
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Apr 2018, 03:22
Quote:
I am afraid that the worst case is that there will be 4 passages with 3 questions each => more time to complete RC questions. A passage with 4 questions is easier than a passage with 3 questions, suppose that two passages are the same.

If it turns out to be this. I hope GMAC loses a big chunk of revenue to ETS. :mad:

Originally posted by sandysilva on 03 Apr 2018, 03:21.
Last edited by sandysilva on 03 Apr 2018, 03:22, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
D
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 03:22
stonecold wrote:
Latest announcement from the GMAC -

There’s an even better reason to take the GMAT® exam. Starting on April 16, the GMAT® exam will be a half hour shorter, saving you valuable time.

The time savings will mostly be on the Quantitative and Verbal sections. We’ve streamlined these sections to be less time and have fewer questions. We also removed some of the tutorial screens from the beginning.

The exam content and the time you have per question won’t change. The exam will be scored the same, and it’s still a proven indicator of your ability to succeed in business school. It is the same GMAT exam with the same quality you expect – just shorter by a half hour.

We shortened the exam to give you a better test-taking experience. To give you the most realistic preparation experience, we have updated the GMAT Official Practice Exams to reflect the pacing of the shorter test. We want you to be confident and fully prepared to do your best on test day.

There are many reasons to take the GMAT exam. For one, it’s the most widely used exam for graduate business school admissions. Now add another reason – it’s a half hour shorter. If you’re serious about business school, take the exam that puts your most relevant skills in the spotlight and get 30 minutes back in your day. This change will go into effect on April 16, 2018 at 12:01am local time. All exams appointments scheduled for April 16 or later will include these changes at the test center.

Check out the Official link.. and the Link... to the New format.

This is some change. I don't know whether I should be happy :lol:

Nevertheless let's hope for the best :-D

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 03:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
broall wrote:
pikolo2510 wrote:

I don't think GMAC will reduce the number of passages in each test to 3. I think there are still 4 passages with 3 questions each.

This is a potential issue. There are a few options for gmac:

1. Reduce the number of questions in RC to 3 but leave it as the same length passage. This means we still spend 5 mins to read the passage but only have 3-questions worth of time to read and answer all 3 questions. NEGATIVE.

2. Reduce the number of questions to 3 but only have shorter passages from now on. LEas time to read a passage but the passages are also shorter. This will be NEUTRAL.

3. Reduce the number of RC passages from 4 to 3 per test. This will be POSITIVE.

So I guess we’ll see what approach they take. I assume it will be #2. But wait and see.

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 03:28
As per Gmac
“The Quantitative and Verbal Reasoning sections are being shortened by only reducing the number of unscored items. Unscored questions (sometimes referred to as “research or pre-test questions”) are used by GMAC as part of the question development process before they become scored GMAT questions. A number of unscored questions will still remain in each section so that we can continue to research and pre-test our exam questions and ensure their quality before counting them as scored questions.”

This means it is tough to make educated guess now as the probability of a question being experimental has greatly reduced.

If Only the experimental questions are removed it’s like now every question affects ur score.

So the luck factor has reduced.
Don’t know if it is good or bad.

Let me know if I misunderstood this

Regards
Anugrah

BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 03:38
bb wrote:
broall wrote:
pikolo2510 wrote:

This is a potential issue. There are a few options for gmac:

1. Reduce the number of questions in RC to 3 but leave it as the same length passage. This means we still spend 5 mins to read the passage but only have 3-questions worth of time to read and answer all 3 questions. NEGATIVE.

2. Reduce the number of questions to 3 but only have shorter passages from now on. LEas time to read a passage but the passages are also shorter. This will be NEUTRAL.

3. Reduce the number of RC passages from 4 to 3 per test. This will be POSITIVE.

So I guess we’ll see what approach they take. I assume it will be #2. But wait and see.

Will there be

1 Rc passage 6 questions
2 with 3 Questions

overall 3 RC passages but different lenghts
Director
Director
S
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 03:54
This means that the role of "luck" will come down as #of experimental questions will reduce. How RCs play out will be interesting to note. What about EP1 and EP2 ? How will they update the S/w for those who purchased it in recent past ??

" The few , the fearless "

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 03:56
The update for EP’s should not be difficult. You would download a new file. No license update, just reinstall/update the package. The question is when....

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 03:58
bb wrote:
So.... is the gmat prep is also getting updated for this new format? Anyone downloaded the new version yet? Is it even available?

Quote:

It seems very sudden this change. Not that I want more questions but still, would make sense to know in advance.

Also, what about the number of RCs - we get only 3 now? We don't know really and won't know until the new GMAT prep is out...

Dear bb,

You're resonating my sentiments! We need to make serious changes in our softwares and scoring algorithms.

Clarity on the number of RCs per test (as well as number of questions per RC) is essential for making due changes in our softwares. Will love to gain clarity on this.

Thanks,
Experts' Global Team

GMAT Preparation Online- World's Most Exhaustive GMAT Prep Program | Gain 7-days demo access (includes a full length test)

Director
Director
P
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 04:10
pushpitkc wrote:

Some more questions answered - FAQ

Reschedule your tests before April 11th for FREE!
Attachment:
Some more questions answered!.PNG

Link : https://www.mba.com/india/frequently-as ... #question2

As per this text, the exam has shortened by reducing number of experimental questions in both Q and V sections, but then they say "experimental questions will still be there". This implies that if we had 10 experimental questions in Verbal, now we would have only 5. Probability reduced to 50% of getting an experimental question.

Am I understanding correctly?

QZ

"Success is not as glamorous as people tell you. It's a lot of hours spent in the darkness."

BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 04:16
QZ wrote:
pushpitkc wrote:

Some more questions answered - FAQ

Reschedule your tests before April 11th for FREE!
Attachment:
Some more questions answered!.PNG

Link : https://www.mba.com/india/frequently-as ... #question2

As per this text, the exam has shortened by reducing number of experimental questions in both Q and V sections, but then they say "experimental questions will still be there". This implies that if we had 10 experimental questions in Verbal, now we would have only 5. Probability reduced to 50% of getting an experimental question.

Am I understanding correctly?

QZ

Hi,

The experimental questions will still be there, if eariler there were 10 experimental questions in Quant considering 37 questions the probability of getting an experimental question is 10/37 = 0.2702
Now consider there are 5 questions only so we have 5 experimental and 32 questions and the probability = 5/32 = 0.15625

now % change = .2702 - .15625/.2702 = 0.42 ~ 42%
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 04:17
Dear All,

As we know, GMAT announced a rather abrupt change just a few hours ago.

For the ease of users, I am enlisting all the main points here. I will keep updating the post as we get more updates.

- Quant section- 31 questions, 62 minutes (compared to 37 questions, 75 minutes earlier)
    - Verbal section- 36 questions, 65 minutes (compared to 41 questions, 75 minutes earlier)
    - Reduction in pre-exam tutorials, instructions
    - The questions reduced are all experimental questions; hence, the number of questions on which one is scored remain the same
    - Time available per quant/verbal question remains approximately the same
    - No change in scoring (sectional as well as overall)
    - No change in IR, AWA
    - No change in duration of breaks
    - Those who have the exam scheduled on or prior to May 6, 2018 can reschedule the test once, free of charges until April 11, 2018
    - GMATPrep, other official resources shall be updated for the new pattern no later than 30th April, 2018

No clarity on:

- Number of RCs in the verbal section.
    - Number of questions per RC.

Official link: https://www.mba.com/india/frequently-asked-questions/shorter-gmat-exam.aspx

More updates soon...

Cordially,
Experts' Global Team

GMAT Preparation Online- World's Most Exhaustive GMAT Prep Program | Gain 7-days demo access (includes a full length test)

BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 04:28
Maxximus wrote:
Cordially,
Experts' Global Team

Quant

now 61x60/32 = 120 seconds

so 1.62 seconds less per question in quant

Verbal

Regards,
HK
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 04:36
Thanks for the input.

That's why, I said "approximately the same", unlike the official page that says

Quote:

...so the average time per question in each section has not changed

Again, thanks for the explanation. It helps.

Regards,
Experts' Global

Hatakekakashi wrote:
Maxximus wrote:
Cordially,
Experts' Global Team

Quant

now 61x60/32 = 120 seconds

so 1.62 seconds less per question in quant

Verbal

Regards,
HK

Re: GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter   [#permalink] 03 Apr 2018, 04:36

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  19    Next  [ 379 posts ] 

GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR MAY
Math Revolution - $79/3 mo Special sale until May 31
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - Free Full GMAT video course, 100% free
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap