GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 17:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Re: GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 12:25
On one hand a shorter test means it's less of a marathon than it was before, but I am nervous that a shorter question set means there's less margin for error when it comes to scoring. Additionally, I plan to take the exam early in May... With this change coming so sudden, I may push that back to give me more time to adjust to the change.

I don't know how to feel about this to be honest. I know GMAC has probably thought through this in detail, but taking the exam so close to the big change makes me feel like I'm at a disadvantage.[/quote]
Hi

To alleviate one of your concerns: there should be the exact same "margin for error" as before, because the number of counted/scored questions has not decreased.

In my opinion, the test-takers who most deserve to be frustrated are those who are scheduled to take the GMAT before April 16th, and those who took the exam recently! However, at least GMAC is offering to waive the reschedule fee, as was done when the "Select Section Order" feature was implemented in July of 2017.

-Brian[/quote]

Hi there - you definitely spoke my mind - I actually scheduled my exam on April 11th and now wondering if I should reschedule. Could you please share your thoughts on this?
Thank you so much!! Cheers. mcelroytutoring
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)
Re: GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Apr 2018, 08:29
Top Contributor
jppersonal wrote:
Hi there - you definitely spoke my mind - I actually scheduled my exam on April 11th and now wondering if I should reschedule. Could you please share your thoughts on this?
Thank you so much!! Cheers. mcelroytutoring

Hi jppersonal,

If I were you, then I would definitely reschedule.

On the current GMAT, there is a roughly 1 in 4 chance that the question you are trying is unscored (25.6% experimental questions). However, on the updated GMAT, there is only a 1 in 8 chance that the question you are trying is unscored (15.2% experimental questions). Plus, it will be a shorter test by almost 30 minutes, which should allow you to focus more on the questions that do count, and should give you more mental energy for the IR and AWA sections (assuming that you choose section order #2 or #3: Quant or Verbal first).

-Brian

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y94hlarr Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Contact: mcelroy@post.harvard.edu (I do not respond to PMs on GMAT Club.)

...or find me on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/GMATpreparation

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 03 Apr 2018, 13:02.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 27 Apr 2018, 08:29, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
D
Schools: Boston U '20 (M)
GRE 1: Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 23:11
Latest announcement from the GMAC -

More good news! To give you the most realistic practice experience, our official full-length practice exams will be updated no later than April 30 to reflect the new pacing of the shorter GMAT exam. We want you to be confident and fully prepared to do your best on test day.

MBA Financing:- INDIAN PUBLIC BANKS vs PRODIGY FINANCE!

Getting into HOLLYWOOD with an MBA!

The MOST AFFORDABLE MBA programs!

STONECOLD's BRUTAL Mock Tests for GMAT-Quant(700+)

AVERAGE GRE Scores At The Top Business Schools!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 23:36
Hey Guys!

I just read that the GMAT exam is changing w.r.t. to the duration and the number of questions. I am registered to take my exam this week. I need your opinion whether I should reschedule my exam to take it in the new format or go for the current version itself!

Thank you in advance!
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 00:19
Basis my presumption, this change would be overall negative for most test takers as far as the verbal section is concerned.

Breakup of Reduction in 5 questions will most probably​ be

2SC Q: Avg time to answer per Q-1m20s, Timer Reduction by GMAC per Q-2m. Time Loss- 80s

2RC Q: Avg time to answer per Q-1m20s, Timer Reduction by GMAC per Q-2m, Time Loss- 80s
(Assuming no.of RC per test remains: 4)

1CR Q: Avg time per Q-2m, Timer Reduction per Q-2m
Time Loss- Nil

Overall time loss: 160s.

But, This time loss will get completely offset if we get to read one RC less. i.e. We get three RCs instead of four.

Posted from my mobile device
BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Schools: ISB '20 (II)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 00:30
Shobhit7 wrote:
Basis my presumption, this change would be overall negative for most test takers as far as the verbal section is concerned.

Breakup of Reduction in 5 questions will most probably​ be

2SC Q: Avg time to answer per Q-1m20s, Timer Reduction by GMAC per Q-2m. Time Loss- 80s

2RC Q: Avg time to answer per Q-1m20s, Timer Reduction by GMAC per Q-2m, Time Loss- 80s
(Assuming no.of RC per test remains: 4)

1CR Q: Avg time per Q-2m, Timer Reduction per Q-2m
Time Loss- Nil

Overall time loss: 160s.

But, This time loss will get completely offset if we get to read one RC less. i.e. We get three RCs instead of four.

over all time loss 160 s? how come

earlier verbal

75 min 41 questions

each question = 109.75 seconds

now

65 mins 36 questions = 108.33 seconds

so there is a 1.42 second loss per question
overall 36 question
total loss in time = 36x1.42 = 51~52 seconds
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 00:45
Hi Hatakekakashi,

Because the time most of us were consuming on SC and 'subsequent' RC Q was less than 2 mins.

So, reduction of such "faster" questions at the rate of 2min per question by GMAC will eventually take away the extra time we gained and applied on say, Reading a long RC passage.

Regards

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 03:43
Do anyone know if the ratio of experimental/real questions will remain the same? They only said that they will reduce the number of questions.
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 04:02
hoang221 wrote:
Do anyone know if the ratio of experimental/real questions will remain the same? They only said that they will reduce the number of questions.

Hi hoang221,
The ratio of experimental to real questions will decrease.
The number of scored questions in each section, the average time per question, and the scoring algorithm will remain completely unchanged.

The Quantitative and Verbal Reasoning sections are being shortened by only reducing the number of unscored items.

So, once this change is in effect there will be only 3 experimental questions in Quant and 6 experimental questions in verbal.

For further information , check https://www.mba.com/us/frequently-asked ... -exam.aspx

Hope this helps!!

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 04:18
Skywalker18 wrote:
The number of scored questions in each section, the average time per question, and the scoring algorithm will remain completely unchanged.

average time per question decreases in both quant and verbal sections

for verbal it is 1.42 seconds per question
for quant 1.62 seconds per question
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 04:21
FYI - I have sent an inquiry to GMAC to find about RC composition on the new test. Will let you know once I hear back.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 04:23
bb wrote:
FYI - I have sent an inquiry to GMAC to find about RC composition on the new test. Will let you know once I hear back.

Thanks BB. Do make a new post regarding the same :D ( more visibility i guess)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 04:32
Needed an advice from experts :)

For someone like me who has been preparing for the gmat & working on improving pacing by taking multiple tests using several prep companies, Shall i pace according to the new format(setting my own time markers) & pause the test midway (at 31 for quants and 36 for verbal) and ignore the score i get? And simply base my accuracy based on the number of rights and wrong?

Or do you recommend writing the entire test? Because, I do have difficulty finishing the last 3-4 questions on both sections currently.

Really confused!

I have been pushing my exam from a really long time and i dont think its a good idea for me to wait till 30th april for the updated software. Because then i might reschedule my exam to a even further date depending on the score which i cannot afford to anymore.
Stern Thread Master
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 2: 660 Q37 V33
GPA: 3.13
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 04:35
This is going to drastically affect the timing strategy that some of us have been working to perfect for last couple of months. I wonder how will the RC passages be impacted and the number of experimental questions.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 06:18
Just got an answer from GMAC about RC's - behold and don't miss the important facts:

Quote:
Hello BB,

We do not indicate the number of questions candidates might see in any question type on the exam.

Thank you,
XXXX

Founder of GMAT Club

Director
Director
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Apr 2018, 13:53
Top Contributor
It appears that we are splitting hairs here: the loss of 1.5 seconds per question over the course of a 31 or 36-question section is practically irrelevant (around 1.5% of the section overall, at most). As others have noted, much also depends on the split between the number of questions of each sub-type, and the number of passages in RC. In addition, you could argue that the loss of roughly 2 seconds per question will be offset by the shorter durations of the Verbal and Quant sections, which will allow for more intense concentration on a smaller number of questions, a (slightly) faster pace, and a fresher mind when the IR and AWA sections arrive.

With regard to the # of RCs on the Verbal section of the updated GMAT, I'm glad to see that GMAC is being transparent and forthcoming as usual. ;) Since the representatives from GMAC won't tell us much, and 5 questions are being removed overall, for now we have no choice but to assume that there will be about 2 fewer questions of each Verbal question type (but probably the same number of Reading Comprehension passages, with fewer questions per passage).

Others have brought up a good point...this change is going to wreak havoc on many students' timing/pacing strategies. We GMAT tutors are definitely going to have to do some re-calibrating when it comes to the pacing advice that we dispense to our students. I suspect that my "20/30 method," for example, will have to be renamed the "15/25 method."

-Brian

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y94hlarr Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Contact: mcelroy@post.harvard.edu (I do not respond to PMs on GMAT Club.)

...or find me on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/GMATpreparation

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 04 Apr 2018, 07:17.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 09 Apr 2018, 13:53, edited 3 times in total.
Manager
Manager
S
Schools: Oxford"20 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 10:53
Maybe I'm missing something here...but this seems like excellent news overall.

You're essentially going to pace your per-question time the same. It's not a good strategy to try and guess experimental questions, so you're giving the same effort per question as you were before. The difference here is you will have more energy at the end of sections that you did before. I always struggled on the last 5 questions to stay conscious. Fatigue is now less of an issue.

I was scheduled to take it again 4/30...I'm going to push it for 2 weeks to give myself some time to take 1-2 CAT's with the new format. Prior, my entire timing strategy was basically:

By question 10, I should have 55 minutes remaining
By question 20, I should have 35 minutes remaining
By question 30, I should have 15 minutes remaining

I'll have to adjust that, but that's easy enough. I'm still studying the same. I'm still timing per question the same (basically, have a "2 minute sense" and get it under that.)

What am I missing here?
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 11:32
vtexcelgmat wrote:
1.42 seconds less per question in Verbal Section

The 1.42 seconds reduction is for the whole Verbal Section :-)
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 12:26
Would really appreciate anyone's input to my situation.

I quickly skimmed through past replies and I believe there is one positive point about the new format that hasn't been mentioned, in addition to the more obvious; extra stamina for the IR + AWA. Not sure about everyone else but when I know how to solve a problem (mainly Quant) with a high degree of certainty, I'm generally willing to go beyond the 2-minute/question mark (aka gamble a few extra seconds at the expense of later questions).

With the number of un-scored questions being reduced, the odds of my doing the above on an un-scored question gets reduced as well - further ensuring that I will not make bets on things that would yield no return, or even worse, penalties.

I'm currently scheduled to take the exam this Saturday (April 7th). I see the free option to reschedule but:
a) I'm all out of practice material and
b) I tend to do better on my practice exams when I'm still in rhythm from the days/week prior

Would you reschedule if you were in my shoes?

Thanks in advance.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 12:33
I would take it now and then retake if you had to. Not a huge price to pay and the benefits you will get from answering feeer questions will be outweighed by lack of prep material or simulation software for the new format.

Founder of GMAT Club

GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter &nbs [#permalink] 04 Apr 2018, 12:33

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  22    Next  [ 435 posts ] 

GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap