GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Jun 2018, 20:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
26 KUDOS received
Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 May 2018, 22:06

GMAT Test is changing on April 16, 2018 - it will be shortened by 30 minutes

• Number of questions on the test will be reduced:
    • The number of Quant questions will be reduced by 6: from 37 to 31
    • The number of Verbal questions will be reduced by 5: from 41 to 36

Update: distribution of questions in GMAT Prep will be:
    (thanks AjiteshArun for sharing this)

(a) RC: 13-14 (4 passages)
    (b) SC: 12-13
    (c) CR: 9-10
    (d) PS: 17-18
    (e) DS: 13-14

GMAC is being careful not to say that this is the distribution for the GMAT itself as exam requirements could change over time (that is, the distribution of experimental questions can change).

!
    April 30th Update:
    GMAT Prep Downloadable Software is NOT being updated to the latest format. Instead, it is being discontinued
    EP1, EP2, and QP1 are not being updated to the latest format. Instead, GMAC is exchange them for online licenses through May 11th

List of Tests that have been updated for the new format:

1. Veritas Prep CAT's - as of April 12th - You get 1 free CAT; 7 total
    2. GMAT Club CAT's - as of April 13th - You get 1 free CAT; 20+ total
    3. MGMAT CAT's - as of April 16th - You get 1 free CAT; 6 total

• This includes a 23-minute reduction in the exam sections, as well as 7 minute reduction across several non-exam screens at the test center (e.g. Tutorial, Section Instructions).
  • The time per question will be approximately the same. While GMAC says it will remain unchanged, we have calculated it to be 1.62 seconds shorter for quant and 1.42 seconds shorter for verbal:

Quant
    earlier 75x60/37 = 121.62
    now 62x60/31 = 120 seconds

Verbal
    earlier 75/41 = 109.75 seconds
    now 65x60/36 = 108.33 seconds

so 1.42 seconds less per question in verbal
  • The reduction in questions comes from reduction of experimental questions.
  • No Changes to IR or AWA section
  • There are some changes to the on-screen instructions that further reduce time used for the test
  • Reschedule exception for 1 week: If you already have scheduled your tests, you can reschedule an appointment but only if it is before May 6th. You have to do it by April 11th. Not sure why limitations but I guess better than nothing
  • GMAT Prep software should be released by April 30th (along with updated Exam Packs)
  • More FAQ's are here: https://www.mba.com/global/frequently-asked-questions/shorter-gmat-exam.aspx

The Big Unknowns:

• Date of GMAT Prep release - sounds like it is only by April 30th, but hopefully sooner so we can practice
  • Question structure of the RC's. We don't know if we will be losing one passage, or if passages will have fewer questions.

Attachments

M02.jpg
M02.jpg [ 141.46 KiB | Viewed 159258 times ]

GMAT E.jpg
GMAT E.jpg [ 129.69 KiB | Viewed 189233 times ]

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Originally posted by hazelnut on 02 Apr 2018, 21:56.
Last edited by hazelnut on 01 May 2018, 22:06, edited 25 times in total.
Updated with debrief links
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
G
WE: Advertising (Advertising and PR)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2018, 22:34
omavsp wrote:
4 Rc’s, less Cr (in total - verbal was more difficult - down from 44-41 in gmatprep to 34. SC was almost entirely about meaning), quant was also more difficult (from q50-49 in gmatprep to q45) and IR was also very difficult (they even changed the calculator there - it is now much more massive.
I wont be worrying since i might just got a harder than usual test (its not my first attempt and not even my second attempt , so i know what it supposed to be like).
But i would take a prep test (even mpre than once) for time management. It can be a quiet unpleasant experience to try figuring out if you are ok with timing during your test, which is different than usual.

hi omavsp thank you for sharing details, it really helps to make sense of the test.
would you please also share ur last 5-7 practice test scores...for both verbal and quant? preferably omitting scores of repeat tests you took within a short period.
also i believe you're using gmatclub tests, will you please also share your gmatclub CAT scores overall score + quant and verbal scores

If you find my post useful, please give me a kudos.

Thank you.
Regards,
ENEM

If you wish to spend wisely on your gmat prep material, check my post titled: How to Spend Money On GMAT Material Wisely, link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-buy-gmat-material-wisely-tag-free-gmat-resources-236174.html

Simple and handy template for CR: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-and-handy-template-for-cr-242255.html

simple template for more vs greater and fewer vs less: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-template-for-more-vs-greater-and-fewer-vs-less-242216.html

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 Apr 2018, 00:42
I havent used gmatclub tests this attempt
My scores were Veritas 660 and 670.
And two gmatpreps (exam pack1), both retakes from about 3-4 months ago.
Exam 3 760
Exam 4 710 (something went wrong here regarding the score calculation. I had only 4 mistakes in verbal and got 41 and a low quant score - even though this exam went better compared to the 760 one)

I have to point that i have prepared way better this time - took a great quant course (from one of the best gmat teachers out there, who teaches gmat from 1994) and practiced tons of questions every day, answered about 15 last cr questions and 4 last rc passages as well as sc from e-gmat.

btw: my real gmat scores were 650 q47v33 and q650 q46v34 - took them in end of november 2017 and in January 2018.
I have worked very hard since then so it’s quite a shock to improve only 20 points to 670..

Originally posted by omavsp on 17 Apr 2018, 00:12.
Last edited by omavsp on 17 Apr 2018, 00:42, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
G
WE: Advertising (Advertising and PR)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 00:32
thanks for the details. It seems that it is harder now.

If you find my post useful, please give me a kudos.

Thank you.
Regards,
ENEM

If you wish to spend wisely on your gmat prep material, check my post titled: How to Spend Money On GMAT Material Wisely, link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-buy-gmat-material-wisely-tag-free-gmat-resources-236174.html

Simple and handy template for CR: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-and-handy-template-for-cr-242255.html

simple template for more vs greater and fewer vs less: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-template-for-more-vs-greater-and-fewer-vs-less-242216.html

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 00:40
MelP wrote:
thanks for the details. I guess it has become harder then. serves as a warning to future takers that we need to work harder...

Im not so sure about it.
The gmac might need some time and test takers in order to calibrate the algorithm with the new test, so that it will reflect test takers abilities like before..
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 03:09
Have the GMAT Prep tests been updated ?
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 03:52
shruti.shambhavi wrote:
Have the GMAT Prep tests been updated ?

Hey shruti.shambhavi ,

As per the latest news from GMAC, we should expect updated GMAT Preps no latter than 30th April.

So, let's wait for a couple of more days. :)

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
NEW VISA FORUM - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

How to use an Error Log? Check out my tips!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 06:50
omavsp wrote:
MelP wrote:
thanks for the details. I guess it has become harder then. serves as a warning to future takers that we need to work harder...

Im not so sure about it.
The gmac might need some time and test takers in order to calibrate the algorithm with the new test, so that it will reflect test takers abilities like before..

Agreed ^

Especially because we just had someone a few posts prior give the impression that the Quant was more manageable.

Until we have a bigger sample size (maybe even a year's worth,) there's no sense in making blanket proclamations on the relative "ease" of the test compared to the prior version.
Top Contributor
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: 337 Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Apr 2018, 16:38
Top Contributor
On Quant, it's the exact same balance of question types, only shorter--so of course it's easier. However, "easier" is a relative concept, and on the GMAT your overall composite score /percentile is directly related to the performance of your peers, so if it's easier or even harder for everyone, then your composite score should theoretically stay the same. Yet we must also keep in mind that GMAT composite percentiles are averaged over the last 3 years, so the vast majority of this year's scoring curve will be determined by the last 3 years of the old test--which suggests that some GMAT score inflation or deflation thanks to the new test format is indeed possible!

On Verbal, the issue of difficulty is somewhat more complicated: the balance/frequency of question types has (apparently) changed. We all know that RCs tend to take longer than SCs, so the fact that RCs may have supplanted SCs as the most common Verbal question type (and you still have to read 4 RC passages!) does have some pacing implications:

Does this mean that the GMAT just got easier, or harder? That's a subjective question, but in my opinion it became easier overall--especially on Quant, where the test is still exactly the same--except shorter and with fewer experimental questions. On Verbal, we must now navigate through a higher proportion of RC questions, but the relative increase in RCs is counteracted by the shorter duration of the test, the removal of 5 experimental questions, and--most importantly--the removal of several SCs, which is likely to benefit non-native GMAT test-takers.

-Brian

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y8zh6qby Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 17 Apr 2018, 08:32.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 18 Apr 2018, 16:38, edited 25 times in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 08:36
mcelroytutoring wrote:
On Quant, it's the exact same balance of test content, only shorter--so of course it's easier.

On Verbal, the issue is somewhat more complicated by the fact that the balance of questions has apparently changed:

-Brian

So does this imply for verbal that it could be perceived as easier or harder depending on your strengths within the verbal section? For example, if SC was your weakest link and you were more comfortable with RC and CR, then it would seem that verbal could possibly seem “easier”. And vice versa.

Posted from my mobile device
Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 Apr 2018, 08:52
Top Contributor
wildhorn wrote:
mcelroytutoring wrote:
On Quant, it's the exact same balance of test content, only shorter--so of course it's easier.

On Verbal, the issue is somewhat more complicated by the fact that the balance of questions has apparently changed:

-Brian

So does this imply for verbal that it could be perceived as easier or harder depending on your strengths within the verbal section? For example, if SC was your weakest link and you were more comfortable with RC and CR, then it would seem that verbal could possibly seem “easier”. And vice versa.

Hi wildhorn,

Yes, that's true! Your opinion of whether the difficulty level of the new Verbal section has changed might depend on your relative strengths in each question type (RC, SC, CR).

-Brian

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y8zh6qby Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 17 Apr 2018, 08:41.
Last edited by bb on 17 Apr 2018, 08:52, edited 3 times in total.
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 08:42
wildhorn wrote:

For what it's worth, I shouted with joy when I read there may be less SC and more RC. I'm a native speaker that unfortunately relies on colloquialisms too much. RC and CR are far easier for me. Changes in verbal seems like it would change person to person.

I can't wait to take this test again...the anticipation is killing me...
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 08:47
jsheppa wrote:
wildhorn wrote:

For what it's worth, I shouted with joy when I read there may be less SC and more RC. I'm a native speaker that unfortunately relies on colloquialisms too much. RC and CR are far easier for me. Changes in verbal seems like it would change person to person.

I can't wait to take this test again...the anticipation is killing me...

I’m in a similar boat. Took GMATPrep 1 (the free one) and scored a V42. I went perfect on RC, missed 3 on CR, but missed 5 of the SC. I’m thinking that this may actually help someone who has the same strengths and weaknesses as I do in verbal. But then again, if it’s the exact same test with less experimental questions then the level of difficulty would only be perception and not actuality. Assuming that there is still the same amount of scored questions in each subsection of the verbal as there was on the prior exam format.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 08:51
mcelroytutoring hazelnut

do we know if the new GMAT prep tests will have the same questions as the current GMAT prep tests? or is the material in the updated prep tests will be completely new?
Top Contributor
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 09:03
Top Contributor
ahsanrmirza wrote:
mcelroytutoring hazelnut

do we know if the new GMAT prep tests will have the same questions as the current GMAT prep tests? or is the material in the updated prep tests will be completely new?

Hi ahsanrmirza,

We don't know for sure yet, but chances are that the new GMATPrep software will consist of the same pool of questions, with maybe a few additions/subtractions here and there.

-Brian

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 12:41
With all the information pouring in, it seems that the estimate of 4 sets of RC comprising 13-14 questions, around 10 CRs, and around 12 SCs is correct.

I don't think the perception of the test going easier or difficult as well as the performance in mocks improving is concrete. As much as I have read, it's still the same GMAT.

The private companies will probably take longer to adapt their scoring with the change on GMAT and ensure that their scores don't start being completely off. There are anyway just few mocks that give a fair assessment of one's level.

One story above around a jump in Manhattan scores concerns me as this seems likely to be the case of the updated tests being easy on scoring and it is less likely that the change in pattern alone led to such a steep jump in score.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 07:50
souvik101990 wrote:
I guess we will get a debrief in 48 hours :D

Quote:
Your Graduate Management Admission Test exam has been booked at Pearson Professional Centers-Mumbai at Start Time: 04:00 PM IST on Wednesday, April 18, 2018.

Looking forward to this debrief

Expert Post
7 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 08:45
Got done with the test a few hours back. Scored a 750 (Q50 V41). It felt really similar to my last test. I am naturally good at SCs and I take more time than I should for RCs, so a few large (really large with contrived questions) threw me off. More details in a few hours.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Apr 2018, 09:02
Top Contributor
wildhorn wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
I guess we will get a debrief in 48 hours :D

Quote:
Your Graduate Management Admission Test exam has been booked at Pearson Professional Centers-Mumbai at Start Time: 04:00 PM IST on Wednesday, April 18, 2018.

Looking forward to this debrief

It's been 48 hours now (it's past 9 PM IST), so it shouldn't be much longer before we hear back from souvik101990. I think we're all interested to hear more!

-Brian

UPDATE: In the time it took me to write this (original post @8:46 am PST), I can see that souvik101990 has already posted his score. More details below!

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 18 Apr 2018, 08:46.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 18 Apr 2018, 09:02, edited 4 times in total.
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 08:51
mcelroytutoring - Yes. I did get done a few hours back and scored a 750. Happy to take questions. I will write a more detailed debrief after dinner - maybe in the Share GMAT Experience Forum! Of course, happy to take questions meanwhile.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Top Contributor
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Apr 2018, 09:03
Top Contributor
souvik101990 wrote:
mcelroytutoring - Yes. I did get done a few hours back and scored a 750. Happy to take questions. I will write a more detailed debrief after dinner - maybe in the Share GMAT Experience Forum! Of course, happy to take questions meanwhile.

Hi souvik101990,

Kudos/congrats on the 750!! It sounds like you may have concluded that the updated, shorter GMAT may indeed be a bit harder on Verbal in some ways...especially for those of us who are naturally skilled at SC.

1) What was the breakdown of question types in Verbal? Can you confirm 4 RC passages?
2) What was the breakdown of question types in Quant?

Thanks,
Brian

p.s. Might as well cross-post your debrief on this thread as well!

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 18 Apr 2018, 08:55.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 18 Apr 2018, 09:03, edited 2 times in total.
Re: GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2018, 08:55

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  21    Next  [ 419 posts ] 

GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR JUNE
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap