GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2018, 20:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
26 KUDOS received
Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 May 2018, 22:06

GMAT Test is changing on April 16, 2018 - it will be shortened by 30 minutes

• Number of questions on the test will be reduced:
    • The number of Quant questions will be reduced by 6: from 37 to 31
    • The number of Verbal questions will be reduced by 5: from 41 to 36

Update: distribution of questions in GMAT Prep will be:
    (thanks AjiteshArun for sharing this)

(a) RC: 13-14 (4 passages)
    (b) SC: 12-13
    (c) CR: 9-10
    (d) PS: 17-18
    (e) DS: 13-14

GMAC is being careful not to say that this is the distribution for the GMAT itself as exam requirements could change over time (that is, the distribution of experimental questions can change).

!
    April 30th Update:
    GMAT Prep Downloadable Software is NOT being updated to the latest format. Instead, it is being discontinued
    EP1, EP2, and QP1 are not being updated to the latest format. Instead, GMAC is exchange them for online licenses through May 11th

List of Tests that have been updated for the new format:

1. Veritas Prep CAT's - as of April 12th - You get 1 free CAT; 7 total
    2. GMAT Club CAT's - as of April 13th - You get 1 free CAT; 20+ total
    3. MGMAT CAT's - as of April 16th - You get 1 free CAT; 6 total

• This includes a 23-minute reduction in the exam sections, as well as 7 minute reduction across several non-exam screens at the test center (e.g. Tutorial, Section Instructions).
  • The time per question will be approximately the same. While GMAC says it will remain unchanged, we have calculated it to be 1.62 seconds shorter for quant and 1.42 seconds shorter for verbal:

Quant
    earlier 75x60/37 = 121.62
    now 62x60/31 = 120 seconds

Verbal
    earlier 75/41 = 109.75 seconds
    now 65x60/36 = 108.33 seconds

so 1.42 seconds less per question in verbal
  • The reduction in questions comes from reduction of experimental questions.
  • No Changes to IR or AWA section
  • There are some changes to the on-screen instructions that further reduce time used for the test
  • Reschedule exception for 1 week: If you already have scheduled your tests, you can reschedule an appointment but only if it is before May 6th. You have to do it by April 11th. Not sure why limitations but I guess better than nothing
  • GMAT Prep software should be released by April 30th (along with updated Exam Packs)
  • More FAQ's are here: https://www.mba.com/global/frequently-asked-questions/shorter-gmat-exam.aspx

The Big Unknowns:

• Date of GMAT Prep release - sounds like it is only by April 30th, but hopefully sooner so we can practice
  • Question structure of the RC's. We don't know if we will be losing one passage, or if passages will have fewer questions.

Attachments

M02.jpg
M02.jpg [ 141.46 KiB | Viewed 157281 times ]

GMAT E.jpg
GMAT E.jpg [ 129.69 KiB | Viewed 187262 times ]

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Originally posted by hazelnut on 02 Apr 2018, 21:56.
Last edited by hazelnut on 01 May 2018, 22:06, edited 25 times in total.
Updated with debrief links
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Re: GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 04:32
mcelroytutoring wrote:
GMAC doesn't want anyone to be able to reverse-engineer the precise scoring algorithm of the real GMAT from that of the GMATPrep software, so GMAC made sure to design the two algorithms differently. Perhaps the most important distinction between the two, for example, is that the GMATPrep software does not contain any experimental/unscored questions (all responses affect your score), while the current version of the GMAT has 23 experimentals, and the updated version of the real test will have 12.

Thanks Brian. What you say, makes sense!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 08:48
Quick Update - GMAT Club is releasing new tests that are compatible with the new format.
We will be updating all of our current tests on Friday and then will offer them free on Sat & Sun, April 14-15.

If you want to test drive the new format and see how it feels to take 31 Quant and 36 Verbal Questions, stop by the GMAT Club Tests this weekend.

You can learn more here:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/hard-updated ... 63203.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 09:58
Veritas Prep has told me that their tests have been updated as well (yet to try for myself though).

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 10:00
Top Contributor
wolfgangkhan wrote:
Veritas Prep has told me that their tests have been updated as well (yet to try for myself though).

I can confirm! Our updated tests went live this morning.

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V31
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Advertising and PR)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 06:57
Quite early to ask but here is my question : Earlier I used to score 18-22 questions right in quant and around 24-27 questions right in verbal.
I used to get scores between 650-700. I know it is quite early to ask and the score completely depends upon the level of question but just curious to know in range how many right/wrong question we should expect for a score of 700? TIA
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 07:02
amitpandey25 wrote:
Quite early to ask but here is my question : Earlier I used to score 18-22 questions right in quant and around 24-27 questions right in verbal.
I used to get scores between 650-700. I know it is quite early to ask and the score completely depends upon the level of question but just curious to know in range how many right/wrong question we should expect for a score of 700? TIA

Hey amitpandey25 ,

You need to understand that GMAT scoring doesn't depend on the number of questions you are getting right or wrong but it depends on the how many difficult level questions are right.

So, you can see big variations in your two scores with same number of incorrect questions if you get difficult questions right in the one and wrong in another.

I hope that makes sense.

All the best :)

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - Click here.

NEW VISA FORUM - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - Click here.

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Top Contributor
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: 337 Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Apr 2018, 17:22
Top Contributor
After a surfeit of hype, anticipation and speculation following the GMAC's last-minute announcement of its release, the updated, 23-minute shorter GMAT debuts tomorrow (4/16/18) in Pearson Vue testing centers worldwide.

In my opinion, these welcome changes should make for an easier, fairer GMAT exam.

To Recap:

**The Quant Section will be reduced from 75 minutes, 37 questions and 9 experimental questions to 62 minutes, 31 questions and 3 experimentals.**

**The Verbal section will be reduced from 75 minutes, 41 questions and 11 experimental questions to 65 minutes, 36 questions and 6 experimentals.**

The Integrated Reasoning section (30 minutes, 12 questions, 3 experimentals) and Analytical Writing Assessment (30 minutes, 1 question) will remain untouched.

**We have reason to believe that the balance/frequency of question types has also changed on the Verbal section only. On average, it has gone from 17 Sentence Corrections (SC), 13 Reading Comprehension (RC) and 11 Critical Reasoning (CR) to 13-14 RC, 12-13 SC and 9-10 CR.**

Source: GMAC document via AjiteshArun

On Quant, the relative frequency of each question type has stayed roughly the same: there are still slightly more Problem Solving questions than Data Sufficiencies. Expect about 17 Problem Solving and about 14 Data Sufficiencies among your 31 Quant questions.

It appears that the official GMATPrep software will NOT be updated with these changes in time for the new exam's official release (though GMAC has promised an updated version by April 30).

Looking forward to reading some debriefs and ESRs here on GMAT Club--though I wonder whether/when any test-takers will actually bother to accurately count how many questions they are served of each type. If you ask the people at GMAC, then they will tell you that the precise number of question types varies on each GMAT.

At least we will able to run a definitive "question-type count" on the Verbal section of the GMATPrep software, once it's finally updated. We already have confirmation, for example, that there are still 4 Reading Comprehension passages.

For more information:

GMAC - Shorter GMAT FAQ

Updated Pacing/Timing Strategy for the New GMAT - The 15/25 Method (McElroy Tutoring)

-Brian

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y8zh6qby Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 15 Apr 2018, 09:06.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 16 Apr 2018, 17:22, edited 29 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2018, 12:16
Thanks Brian and others for your inputs regarding the changes. To be honest, this was not expected from GMAC. They should have released GMAT Prep by now. I have GMAT scheduled 1st week of May, and I cannot move it out because all test centers are booked up to July in the city I live.

My point being that they could have implemented this change in a better way rather than keeping all this suspense about new GMAT Prep exams. I agree that this change will be helpful to future candidates. But for those appearing in next few days, it is what it is, I hope I do well and I wish everyone the same.
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2018, 12:46
pantera07 wrote:
Thanks Brian and others for your inputs regarding the changes. To be honest, this was not expected from GMAC. They should have released GMAT Prep by now. I have GMAT scheduled 1st week of May, and I cannot move it out because all test centers are booked up to July in the city I live.

My point being that they could have implemented this change in a better way rather than keeping all this suspense about new GMAT Prep exams. I agree that this change will be helpful to future candidates. But for those appearing in next few days, it is what it is, I hope I do well and I wish everyone the same.

I am certainly not defending GMAC, because I largely agree with you. However, you have been preparing for the same test, just a slightly longer one. The questions won't change, the time per question isn't really changing (will that 1 second per make a difference? probably not.) So, you are prepared for this test. Go in there with a positive mindset and you will get the score that you prepared for.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V31
WE: Marketing (Advertising and PR)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2018, 06:10
Manhattan GMAT Cat's are now updated.
I had an amazing experience with the shorter version of the test.

1. I was able to focus more.(This is so true)
2.Test flew, I swear.
3.I gave attention to first 10 question :) Took me around 28 minutes for verbal and around 27 for Quant.

Ended up with 710 highest ever. I was scoring close to 640-660 in my last 3 MCAT's :) :)
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2018, 07:54
Do you mind sharing the number of questions on CR, SC and RC in new MCATs?
Intern
Intern
B
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2018, 09:49
Any test takers today?
i have a test tomorrow.... any update on test breakup?
VP
VP
D
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2018, 10:36
dewdrops909 wrote:
Any test takers today?
i have a test tomorrow.... any update on test breakup?

I think it will take a day or two when people will start posting ESRs and test breakup. Stay tuned.
All the best for your exam.

QZ

"Success is not as glamorous as people tell you. It's a lot of hours spent in the darkness."

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.55

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2018, 11:20
Waiting for any update regarding the new test format, especially the split in RC-CR-SC.
Do you get 3 RCs or 4 RCs?
BSchool Forum Moderator
G
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2018, 12:18
Haven't seen any debriefs yet regarding the new format

Hoping to see some tomorrow

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!

9 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2018, 14:21
4 RCs,less of CRs..quant was not difficult I'd say,though verbal was.

Posted from my mobile device
Top Contributor
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: 337 Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Apr 2018, 17:52
Top Contributor
akshhayleekha wrote:

4 RC passages! I knew it. :cool: Kudos for sharing, akshhayleekha!

GMAC also slightly altered the format of its ESRs along with the new, shorter test. Anyone who has a past ESR on file for a test during the last 5 years can re-download his/her ESR in the new format.

The changes are minor: notice the pink hue and the new x-axis on the Percent Correct / Average Difficulty charts, which no longer indicates the question numbers.

See examples below (and the full file for download).

-Brian
Attachments

Brian McElroy_318584211_ESR(1).pdf [416.15 KiB]
Downloaded 281 times

To download please login or register as a user

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y8zh6qby Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 16 Apr 2018, 14:32.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 16 Apr 2018, 17:52, edited 4 times in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2018, 16:19
akshhayleekha wrote:

Do you mean verbal is harder than it ha been before the change in format? Or just hard in general?

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2018, 20:49
I guess we will get a debrief in 48 hours :D

Quote:
Your Graduate Management Admission Test exam has been booked at Pearson Professional Centers-Mumbai at Start Time: 04:00 PM IST on Wednesday, April 18, 2018.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 Apr 2018, 12:14
4 Rc’s, less Cr (in total - verbal was more difficult - down from 44-41 in gmatprep to 37. SC was almost entirely about meaning), quant was also more difficult (from q50-49 in gmatprep to q45) and IR was also very difficult (they even changed the calculator there - it is now much more massive.
I wont be worrying since i might just got a harder than usual test (its not my first attempt and not even my second attempt , so i know what it supposed to be like).
But i would take a prep test (even mpre than once) for time management. It can be a quiet unpleasant experience to try figuring out if you are ok with timing during your test, which is different than usual.

Originally posted by omavsp on 16 Apr 2018, 22:19.
Last edited by omavsp on 17 Apr 2018, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
Re: GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter   [#permalink] 16 Apr 2018, 22:19

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  21    Next  [ 415 posts ] 

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR JUNE
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - Free Full GMAT video course, 100% free
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap