Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20708 [86]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 426 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
GPA: 3.05
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 386 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Accounting, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: GMAT FORMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
RashedVai wrote:
Is there any experimental questions on the MBA.com mock test? I mean the 6 official mock (free 2 + paid 4).
I tend to skip some questions intentionally to keep pace with time. If, incidentally, I skip those experimental questions in the mock test then my score will be overestimated. Shed some more light on this issue. fitzpratik

Posted from my mobile device

Well, someone dug it out from one of the GMAC's presentations that the new online MBA.com tests actually use the same exact algorithm. However, there is no way to know which ones are experimental and which ones are not. At the same time, it is possible to "skip" the experimental question by accident or luck.

There is a standard error built into the GMAT so the ability to skip an experimental question by accident is built into it.... over thousands of attempts, statistically it is insignificant.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: GMAT FORMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter [#permalink]
Expert Reply
fitzpratik wrote:
The new GMAT verbal section introduces a greater scope of luck into the sectional score
Imagine getting all RCs in first 66% of questions, they will be a bit simpler, as you are midway through the exam.

Now Imagine you are doing well and getting an RC in last 3 questions. Can you ever read an entire passage of 3 paragraphs, and answer 3 questions right at the end of the exam? Your entire timing strategy will go for a toss.

bb you may provide your opinion.

1. With the change in the questions and reduction of SC's and CR's while keeping RC's at the same constant number as before the reduction of the total length, has made Verbal harder since many people including myself have used some of the extra time they were able to save on SC's and CR's and put it towards the RC.

2. At the same time I don't think it matters where the RC goes - first or middle or last section. It may show up anywhere. Some people have reported starting their Verbal sections with RC's but if you are budgeting your time correctly then the only difference in taking RC's in the middle vs. the end is your fatigue, which has an impact, but also is probably statistically insignificant since at least one RC will be in the beginning. My guess is that it does not have much impact on the final score since GMAC allows section choices and have run stats on that.

Let me know if I missed any aspect of the comment/point.
Thanks.
BB.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
RashedVai wrote:
is the shorter version of GMAT show experimental questions? AjiteshArun
fitzpratik wrote:
I had asked the same question to GMAC rep in mumbai MBA fair (july 2018 i think). He did not comment on it, but did state that fewer number of questions universally affects all types of questions.

I think experimental questions have decreased in number.
Yes, the GMAT still has experimental questions (only 28 quant and 30 verbal questions are "real"). Only the number of experimental questions has decreased, so the number of "real" questions has not changed at all.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
RashedVai wrote:
Is there any experimental questions on the MBA.com mock test? I mean the 6 official mock (free 2 + paid 4).
I tend to skip some questions intentionally to keep pace with time. If, incidentally, I skip those experimental questions in the mock test then my score will be overestimated. Shed some more light on this issue. fitzpratik
Experimental questions are included in the GMAT to help create new questions to be used in the future in the actual exam. It'd be great to see some of those new questions on the GMATPreps :), but the answer to your question is no. The official practice tests don't have any experimental questions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 222
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
Mo2men wrote:
Hi bb & AjiteshArun,
I'm little bit confused about exams sold by GMAC. I have the old system installed in my PC with GMATPrep Exam pack 1 & GMATPrep Question pack 1. I'm lucky that I installed all things before stopping GMAC support.

Are those different than GMAT Official Practice Exams 3, 4,5 and 6?

Where is practice exam 1 & 2?Are those GMATPrep Exam pack 1 & GMATPrep Question pack 1?

Any help please in order not to duplicate any purchase?
1. Practice tests 1 & 2 are the two free tests you get with GMATPrep (the default pack). The bundle also includes a few (90) practice questions. The new name of this bundle (tests + questions) is GMAT Official Starter Kit + Practice Exams 1 & 2 (Free).

2. Exam pack 1 consists only of practice tests 3 & 4. The new name of this product is GMAT Official Practice Exams 3 & 4.

3. Exam pack 2 consists only of practice tests 5 & 6. The new name of this product is GMAT Official Practice Exams 5 & 6.

4. Question pack 1 has 404 practice questions for additional practice (beyond the 90 questions in the Starter Kit). The new name for this product is GMAT Official Practice Questions.

By the way, you might not have to buy Exam pack 1 (tests 3 & 4) and Question Pack 1 (404 practice questions) again. You could ask them for replacement codes, which it seems they are still providing.

Hi AjiteshArun,
These 404 questions in the QP1 do not coincide with any of the OGs/ existing questions, right? And are they of easy/medium difficulty level or do they have some difficult ones too? Because the default 90 QP is full of easy n medium ones. Wanted to know this because I face problems in Hard Verbal questions (not easy/ medium), so was wondering if it's worth to spend $20 on this QP. Please let me know your views. Thanks :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
RK007 wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun,
These 404 questions in the QP1 do not coincide with any of the OGs/ existing questions, right? And are they of easy/medium difficulty level or do they have some difficult ones too? Because the default 90 QP is full of easy n medium ones. Wanted to know this because I face problems in Hard Verbal questions (not easy/ medium), so was wondering if it's worth to spend $20 on this QP. Please let me know your views. Thanks :)
Hi RK007,

The GMAC says only that there is no overlap in the products currently available. This means that someone using the current OGs will not see any repeats in QP1, but that "guarantee" doesn't apply to someone with access to (say) the 10th edition of the official guide. Practically speaking, you'll be fine as long as you don't go too far back.

And yes, there are more "hard" questions in QP1 than in the default set (for example, the number of hard SC practice questions increases from 1 to 16 on activating QP1, if I remember correctly). :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 222
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
Send PM
GMAT FORMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter [#permalink]
AjiteshArun wrote:
RK007 wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun,
Hi RK007,

The GMAC says only that there is no overlap in the products currently available. This means that someone using the current OGs will not see any repeats in QP1, but that "guarantee" doesn't apply to someone with access to (say) the 10th edition of the official guide. Practically speaking, you'll be fine as long as you don't go too far back.

And yes, there are more "hard" questions in QP1 than in the default set (for example, the number of hard SC practice questions increases from 1 to 16 on activating QP1, if I remember correctly). :)

Hello AjiteshArun / bb,
What about this QP - https://www.mba.com/exam-prep/gmat-offi ... -questions
They haven't explicitly mentioned that there's no overlap of questions in these 300 questions. What are your views on this one? Isn't this a better deal than QP1? (provided there's no overlap). Please let me know.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
RK007 wrote:
Hello AjiteshArun / bb,
What about this QP - https://www.mba.com/exam-prep/gmat-offi ... -questions
They haven't explicitly mentioned that there's no overlap of questions in these 300 questions. What are your views on this one? Isn't this a better deal than QP1? (provided there's no overlap). Please let me know.
Hi RK007,

bb has put a review of the advanced questions book up here.

I don't think you'll encounter any overlap in QP1 and the advanced questions. Both are "current".
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12