GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 23 May 2018, 03:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
25 KUDOS received
Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 May 2018, 22:06
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

GMAT Test is changing on April 16, 2018 - it will be shortened by 30 minutes

• Number of questions on the test will be reduced:
    • The number of Quant questions will be reduced by 6: from 37 to 31
    • The number of Verbal questions will be reduced by 5: from 41 to 36

Update: distribution of questions in GMAT Prep will be:
    (thanks AjiteshArun for sharing this)

(a) RC: 13-14 (4 passages)
    (b) SC: 12-13
    (c) CR: 9-10
    (d) PS: 17-18
    (e) DS: 13-14

GMAC is being careful not to say that this is the distribution for the GMAT itself as exam requirements could change over time (that is, the distribution of experimental questions can change).

!
    April 30th Update:
    GMAT Prep Downloadable Software is NOT being updated to the latest format. Instead, it is being discontinued
    EP1, EP2, and QP1 are not being updated to the latest format. Instead, GMAC is exchange them for online licenses through May 11th

List of Tests that have been updated for the new format:

1. Veritas Prep CAT's - as of April 12th - You get 1 free CAT; 7 total
    2. GMAT Club CAT's - as of April 13th - You get 1 free CAT; 20+ total
    3. MGMAT CAT's - as of April 16th - You get 1 free CAT; 6 total

• This includes a 23-minute reduction in the exam sections, as well as 7 minute reduction across several non-exam screens at the test center (e.g. Tutorial, Section Instructions).
  • The time per question will be approximately the same. While GMAC says it will remain unchanged, we have calculated it to be 1.62 seconds shorter for quant and 1.42 seconds shorter for verbal:

Quant
    earlier 75x60/37 = 121.62
    now 62x60/31 = 120 seconds

Verbal
    earlier 75/41 = 109.75 seconds
    now 65x60/36 = 108.33 seconds

so 1.42 seconds less per question in verbal
  • The reduction in questions comes from reduction of experimental questions.
  • No Changes to IR or AWA section
  • There are some changes to the on-screen instructions that further reduce time used for the test
  • Reschedule exception for 1 week: If you already have scheduled your tests, you can reschedule an appointment but only if it is before May 6th. You have to do it by April 11th. Not sure why limitations but I guess better than nothing
  • GMAT Prep software should be released by April 30th (along with updated Exam Packs)
  • More FAQ's are here: https://www.mba.com/global/frequently-asked-questions/shorter-gmat-exam.aspx

The Big Unknowns:

• Date of GMAT Prep release - sounds like it is only by April 30th, but hopefully sooner so we can practice
  • Question structure of the RC's. We don't know if we will be losing one passage, or if passages will have fewer questions.

Attachments

M02.jpg
M02.jpg [ 141.46 KiB | Viewed 129030 times ]

GMAT E.jpg
GMAT E.jpg [ 129.69 KiB | Viewed 158999 times ]

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Originally posted by hazelnut on 02 Apr 2018, 21:56.
Last edited by hazelnut on 01 May 2018, 22:06, edited 25 times in total.
Updated with debrief links
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: IIMA
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
Re: GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2018, 17:05
Hi Coolo, I think that feature is only available if the user also purchases EP1. Purchasing EP1 enables detailed analysis on those 2 free tests as well.

coolo wrote:
It should also be noted that the "Score Report" (after an exam has been completed) on the "new" GMATPREP online platform only shows your overall performance but no longer shows you a more detailed breakdown of your performance in each quant subcategory (PS, DS, Arithmetic, Algebra/Geometry) or in each verbal subcategory (SC, RC, CR)

The "old" desktop platform at least gave you this data so you could have a better understanding on where to focus your efforts :(

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
G
WE: Advertising (Advertising and PR)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2018, 19:20
Hi,

I just want you guys to note that,
"Although the new code will allow you to use your exam/question packs on the online platform, you should note that the earlier code will be deactivated."
have taken this from this post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-updates ... l#p2036087

If you find my post useful, please give me a kudos.

Thank you.
Regards,
ENEM

If you wish to spend wisely on your gmat prep material, check my post titled: How to Spend Money On GMAT Material Wisely, link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-buy-gmat-material-wisely-tag-free-gmat-resources-236174.html

Simple and handy template for CR: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-and-handy-template-for-cr-242255.html

simple template for more vs greater and fewer vs less: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-template-for-more-vs-greater-and-fewer-vs-less-242216.html

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2018, 22:09
mcelroytutoring do you know if you GMAC will still do the migration for you if you purchased Exam Packs and Question Packs and went through them? For example, if I took 1 practice test out of Exam Pack 1 and have 3 un-used practice exams, will they still migrate over 4 new exam tests? Or do the packs and questions essentially need to be unused?

I ask because I wonder if it is worth practicing with the pre-purchased exams before resetting and essentially getting 4 new exams after that? Do you have any insight here?

thanks!
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2018, 23:28
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Mehemmed wrote:
The online version doesn't work. I click on start button,but there's no reaction. Is there anyone facing similar problem?

Hi Mehemmed,

You probably have to enable pop-up windows on your browser--that's what worked for me. I can imagine all sorts of technical glitches that will arise with this transition to online-only GMATPrep tests, as has also been the case with ETS's rocky transition to online versions of the GRE PowerPrep tests.

I can also confirm that the uber-helpful, time-saving keyboard shortcuts do NOT work on the cloud-based, online GMATPrep tests.

-Brian

Yes, it seems there gonna be more fails. For example,while I practicing on online version of Exam 2. On verbal, it loaded for a few minutes and gave the following error.Also, transitioning from question to question takes a few seconds to minutes which are deducted from the exam duration. Before the following error I had lost about 5 mins for loading. So, it sucks and drives me crazy.
Attachments

error.png
error.png [ 6.09 KiB | Viewed 2296 times ]

If time was on my side, I'd still have none to waste......

Top Contributor
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: 337 Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 May 2018, 10:49
Top Contributor
phoebe23ST wrote:
mcelroytutoring do you know if you GMAC will still do the migration for you if you purchased Exam Packs and Question Packs and went through them? For example, if I took 1 practice test out of Exam Pack 1 and have 3 un-used practice exams, will they still migrate over 4 new exam tests? Or do the packs and questions essentially need to be unused?

I ask because I wonder if it is worth practicing with the pre-purchased exams before resetting and essentially getting 4 new exams after that? Do you have any insight here?

thanks!

Hi phoebe23ST, I don't think that the GMAC cares whether your old GMATPrep exams are used or unused, since you can always reset and re-take them again and again. You should be able to migrate whether you've taken them or not, so long as you bought the tests on or after January 16, 2018.

I would, however, make sure to take screenshots of any questions I got wrong the first time through, since your desktop software code will be deactivated when you switch to the online format, and the corresponding data/analytics will be erased.

GMAT® Official Practice Exams and Practice Questions - FAQ

-Brian

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y8zh6qby Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 30 Apr 2018, 23:28.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 01 May 2018, 10:49, edited 1 time in total.
BSchool Forum Moderator
G
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 00:50
pikolo2510 wrote:
So those who bought EP1 and EP2 in 2017 have to purchase it again?

Seriously? Why should we pay again because of these uncalled changes!

Can anyone confirm?

Hi mcelroytutoring

Can you put some light on this? My EP1 and EP2 are still valid now on GMATPrep software.

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 02:00
Any ideas on whether the questions have changed or not?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 05:41
Just attempted Exam 2 of the online GMAT Prep. Went through the whole exam and then after the Report of Cancel Score screen got stuck on a screen saying "Please wait.. Your question is being evaluated". Screen has been stuck like that for about 20 minutes now. Have tried to refresh but it just takes me back to the AWA, after which I get stuck on this screen again. Has anyone else had a similar problem?
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: WP Carey" 20
GMAT 1: 540 Q44 V33
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 09:46
Hi there have they increased the weightage of IR section in the new format?

If you want to shine like a Sun, first burn like a Sun:.... APJ Abdul Kalam

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 09:59
yhdiwujw wrote:
Any ideas on whether the questions have changed or not?

This has been asked and answered.
No. no content changes or any questions have been released.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 10:34
NEENA SHEREEN wrote:
Hi there have they increased the weightage of IR section in the new format?

I am not sure I understand your question but let me try.
The IR is a separate score - it has remained the same in every way and is unchanged.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Top Contributor
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 10:47
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
pikolo2510 wrote:
Hi mcelroytutoring

Can you put some light on this? My EP1 and EP2 are still valid now on GMATPrep software.

Hi pikolo2510,

Sure...as far as I understand your EP1 and EP2 will continue to work just fine (albeit with the old 75-minute sections) until you "migrate" them to the new online format, should you choose to do so.

Planned obsolescence strikes again:

-Brian

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y8zh6qby Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 12:37
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
wolfgangkhan wrote:
Just attempted Exam 2 of the online GMAT Prep. Went through the whole exam and then after the Report of Cancel Score screen got stuck on a screen saying "Please wait.. Your question is being evaluated". Screen has been stuck like that for about 20 minutes now. Have tried to refresh but it just takes me back to the AWA, after which I get stuck on this screen again. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

wolfgangkhan
I had the exact same problem happen to me, and I was also taking exam 2. I went back to the main GMAT Official Prep page (not the separate window that the test opens up in, but the original browser tab you had open), and I clicked "Continue" under Exam 2. It brought me back to the AWA portion (believe that it had deleted though) and when I clicked through, I got the score. That seemed to fix the issue for me, whereas reloading the page earlier had done nothing (like you reported). Hope this helps! I know how frustrating it is to take an entire practice exam and not be able to access the score.
Top Contributor
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 May 2018, 16:43
Top Contributor
hazelnut wrote:
[*] The time per question will be approximately the same. While GMAC says it will remain unchanged, we have calculated it to be 1.62 seconds shorter for quant and 1.42 seconds shorter for verbal:

Quant
earlier 75x60/37 = 121.62
now 61x60/32 = 120 seconds

Hi hazelnut,

The numbers in red above are incorrect. There are 62 minutes and 31 questions on the new Quant section, not 61 and 32.

(61 x 60) / 32 = 114.375

(62 minutes x 60 seconds/minute) / 31 questions = 120 seconds per question (exactly 2 minutes)

-Brian

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 01 May 2018, 15:47.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 01 May 2018, 16:43, edited 3 times in total.
Manager
Manager
G
WE: Advertising (Advertising and PR)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 16:05
Has anyone received the new codes in exchange of the old codes, after email them?

Sent from my MotoG3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

If you find my post useful, please give me a kudos.

Thank you.
Regards,
ENEM

If you wish to spend wisely on your gmat prep material, check my post titled: How to Spend Money On GMAT Material Wisely, link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-buy-gmat-material-wisely-tag-free-gmat-resources-236174.html

Simple and handy template for CR: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-and-handy-template-for-cr-242255.html

simple template for more vs greater and fewer vs less: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-template-for-more-vs-greater-and-fewer-vs-less-242216.html

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 02 May 2018, 03:49
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Manukaran wrote:
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Just as the GMATPrep scoring algorithm is different from the real GMAT scoring algorithm

Hi Brian, this is also new information for me. I thought the scoring algorithm was the same. Why would they make the effort to create two different algorithms :(

Hi Manukaran,

GMAC doesn't want anyone to be able to reverse-engineer the precise scoring algorithm of the real GMAT from that of the GMATPrep software, so GMAC made sure to design the two algorithms differently.

Hi Brian, on the following official website: https://www.mba.com/india/store/store-c ... -free.aspx

In the detailed description tab, it says: The practice exams use the same scoring algorithm as the official GMAT® exam.

I am now quite confused :?

Originally posted by Manukaran on 02 May 2018, 00:16.
Last edited by Manukaran on 02 May 2018, 03:49, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2018, 00:40
bruinmk thanks for that, worked like a charm.

During Exam 2 I also encountered questions I'd seen from Exam 1, which I did in Feb on the software version. Anyone else experience something similar? Perhaps the online version thought I was taking a GMAT Prep exam for the first time and just decided to give me the question bank for Exam 1 instead of that for Exam 2. Hopefully I can just take Exam 1 on the browser and get the question bank for Exam 2 which I won't have seen before. A bit annoying because now I feel like the score I just got is inflated.
Senior CR Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2018, 03:50
Manukaran wrote:
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Hi Manukaran,

GMAC doesn't want anyone to be able to reverse-engineer the precise scoring algorithm of the real GMAT from that of the GMATPrep software, so GMAC made sure to design the two algorithms differently.

Hi Brian, on the following official website: https://www.mba.com/india/store/store-c ... -free.aspx

In the detailed description tab, it says: The practice exams use the same scoring algorithm as the official GMAT® exam.

I am not quite confused :?

In fact, the scoring algorithms used in GMATPrep and actual test are the same. That algorithm is also well-known since it has been developed for many years as an alternative to classical test. The information GMAC wants to protect is the parrameters of each question.

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Top Contributor
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2018, 06:17
Top Contributor
Manukaran wrote:
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Hi Manukaran,

I am now quite confused :?

Hi Manukaran,

Allow me to clarify: on the old version of the GMATPrep desktop software, the scoring algorithm was NOT the same as that of the real GMAT, in part because the real GMAT used to have 23 experimental questions, and on the GMATPrep desktop software, every question counted. So at the time I wrote the comment that you quoted above (4/11/18), I was correct. (The new GMATPrep online tests were released on 4/30/18.)

It is also true that GMAC is now claiming that the GMATPrep online tests use the "same scoring algorithm" as the real GMAT. However, unless there are also 12 questions on the GMATPrep online tests that are experimental/pretest/unscored, this is not completely true.

Theoretically, however, there is nothing stopping GMAC from throwing 12 experimentals into the GMATPrep software as well--especially since the software is now online and can be updated at any time. Until we run some controlled, detailed simulations with the new online tests, there is no way to know whether some of the questions count, and some don't. If there truly are 12 unscored questions, then maybe the new GMATPrep software (online version) really DOES now have the same scoring algorithm as the real GMAT.

Or maybe it's just marketing hype. Time will tell...

-Brian

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2018, 05:47
Dear All,

Update: our 15 mock tests have been updated for the recent, shorter version of GMAT.

One can find all details about the test series on the following link:
https://www.expertsglobal.com/gmat-practice-tests/

All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Experts' Global GMAT Online Program - Factually, the World's Most 'Complete' Program
Experts' Global GMAT Classroom Program in Noida
Experts' Global MBA Admissions Consulting- Admits in Each of the World's top 150 B-Schools | Students from 20+ Countries
15 GMAT Practice Tests with Video Explanations

GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter   [#permalink] 03 May 2018, 05:47

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19    Next  [ 378 posts ] 

GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR MAY
Math Revolution - $79/3 mo Special sale until May 31
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - Free Full GMAT video course, 100% free
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap