Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:47 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [1]
Given Kudos: 260
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink]
Expert Reply
allgeier44 wrote:
Took GMATprep Test 3 a few days ago and received a 40 on Verbal (12 questions incorrect) (2 of them in the 1st 10 questions)

Just took Prep 4 and received a V36 (Only 6 questions incorrect)! However, I answered 4 of the first 10 questions incorrectly. After this I do not think I received any questions that were all that challenging.

Therefore there has to be something to the 1st 10 questions myth.

Anyone else see results so skewed?

Thank you for sharing - yes, absolutely have noticed this a number of times taking the GMAT Prep. It does not seem to be a Myth at all.
I think the way that GMAC should explain the first 10 question myth should be different. I think their take should be that - It is impossible to to "trick" or "beat" the test by acing the first 10 questions and then do a poor job on the rest. However, they should also mention that if you screw up the first 10, it is your funeral. At the same time, I can see how they may be reluctant to talk about the statement #2 (screwing up the first 10) without immediately everybody jumping to the conclusion that they MUST do the first 10 right.

The bottom line is that you do need to get as many HARD questions right as possible and the only way to get to them is to do well on the first 10 questions because as you have noticed, you did not get any hard challenging questions down the road after stumbling on a few in the first 10.

Best Regards,
BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Recently, someone told me that if I am doing good in the real GMAT exam, I would be seeing more of DS questions and less of PS. Is this true? Can some people who have given the exam recently, shed light on the same? Apologies if this is the wrong thread to post my query.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Proximus, I'm pretty sure that the DS/PS balance doesn't change much, regardless of how well you're doing on the test. GMAT DS questions aren't fundamentally more difficult than PS questions once you get used to them -- and based on the thousands of GMATPrep (and real) tests I've seen, the DS/PS ratio seems reasonably stable, beyond a little bit of randomness.
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2414 [2]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
The GMAC has never given us any reason to believe that time spent per question is considered whatsoever in the scoring algorithm. This would suggest that completing the test faster would lead to higher scores, which is untrue as far as I can tell.

I suppose that someone could do the same simulations to the newer GMATPrep tests to see whether there are similar results, but there isn't much of a point, given that we now know the scoring algorithms on the GMATPrep Exams and the actual GMAT to be different in nature.

These scenarios are amazingly helpful in understanding the general GMAT scoring algorithm, but not the exact one. For one, there are zero experimental questions on the GMATPrep tests, but around 25% of the questions on the actual GMAT are experimental.

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 21 Nov 2016, 19:44.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 06 Feb 2017, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to know , if these are true for actual GMAT as well ? I have been answering close to 75% of the answers correctly in GMAT Prep but the score is no where close to 600 wondering where should I improve. Will the score be different in the actual GMAT? If it is true for GMAT Prep and not the real GMAT, any other source which you guys can recommend for practice tests and which would give a score something closer to real GMAT.

Awaiting a quick reply as my GMAT is due soon.

Regards
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2414 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
RAHULLATH wrote:
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to know , if these are true for actual GMAT as well ? I have been answering close to 75% of the answers correctly in GMAT Prep but the score is no where close to 600 wondering where should I improve. Will the score be different in the actual GMAT? If it is true for GMAT Prep and not the real GMAT, any other source which you guys can recommend for practice tests and which would give a score something closer to real GMAT.

Awaiting a quick reply as my GMAT is due soon.

Regards

Hi Rahullath,

The overall percent of answered questions correctly is much less important than the difficulty level of those questions, which is largely determined by the first 1/3 of questions in each section due to the adaptive scoring algorithm.

In general, I have found the Quant algorithm to be more severely "front loaded" than the Verbal algorithm in this regard. That is, overall performance matters more on the Verbal, and the performance on the first 1/3 of questions matters more on Quant. (The IR section is not adaptive and you are graded on the number of questions you answer correctly out of the 9 questions that count.)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
mcelroytutoring wrote:
The GMAC has never given us any reason to believe that time spent per question is considered whatsoever in the scoring algorithm. This would suggest that completing the test faster would lead to higher scores, which is untrue as far as I can tell.

I suppose that someone could do the same simulations to the newer GMATPrep tests to see whether there are similar results, but there isn't much of a point, given that we now know the scoring algorithms on the GMATPrep Exams and the actual GMAT to be different in nature.

These scenarios are amazingly helpful in understanding the general GMAT scoring algorithm, but not the exact one. For one, there are zero experimental questions on the GMATPrep tests, but around 25% of the questions on the actual GMAT are experimental.

Hey, would you mind eloaborating on what you mean by experimental questions?

Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sefwow,

Before a question is placed in the pool of 'active' questions that are scored on the Official GMAT, each prompt must go through a 'testing phase.' The most realistic way to determine if a question is fairly worded and assessed the proper 'level' is to 'test it out' on an actual GMAT Test Taker. It's a standard process that every question goes through, but it means that a certain number of the questions that you will face when you take the Official GMAT will be 'experimental' (and they will not count towards your score). EVERY Test Taker experiences this though, so there's no inherent bias/harm to your performance. You just have to know that not every question counts (and unfortunately there's no way for you to tell what an experimental question 'looks like' since those questions are written in the exact same style as all of the other questions that count).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
I am no longer active in this forum.

Originally posted by dabral on 11 Apr 2017, 07:57.
Last edited by dabral on 18 Aug 2023, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [3]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
I completely agree with Dabral on the issue of time management. Unless you're RIDICULOUSLY awesome at quant, you're going to miss some of the first 10 questions -- and that's totally cool. If you get stubborn early in the test, you'll risk running out of time later in the section, and that can potentially do a ton of damage. Missing easy questions later in the test is arguably a bigger risk than missing hard questions early in the test. And let's not kid ourselves: things can get really, really hard within the first 5-10 questions.

One interesting thing, though: when the GMAT says that there's a severe penalty for not completing the sections, that's not really the whole truth. It seems that failing to complete the section really isn't much worse than making blind guesses at the end -- despite warnings in some editions of the OG.

The GMAT folks actually ran a study on their own test back in 2009 to see whether you're better off guessing at the end of the test or running out of time. Here are their findings:

Quote:
Based on an analysis of thousands of actual GMAT records, the question of whether to guess or leave questions blank (at the end) depends on the number of items you have left, the section you are on (Verbal or Quantitative), and your relative ability. Here is how it breaks down:

• If you only have 1 or 2 items left in either section, it doesn’t make much difference if you guess or omit the question. You should finish the item you are on to the best of your ability and not worry about the others.
  • If you are on the Verbal section, it doesn’t make much difference if you guess when you have up to about 5 questions left. You should finish the item you are on to the best of your ability and not worry about the others.
  • In the Quantitative section, your odds improve if you guess and complete all the questions rather leave the final questions unanswered. After all, there are fewer questions in this section, so each item left blank in this section comprises a higher proportion of the test than in the verbal section. Guess as smartly as you can, but guess nonetheless—do not leave items blank.
  • If you have an idea what your relative ability is ahead of time (i.e., you’ve taken a practice test or diagnostic test), then your guess versus omit strategy differs based on where you think you would fall. If your scores tend to be relatively low on the section, leaving the questions blank may actually result in a higher score than getting even the easy questions wrong by guessing. If you are near the top of the scale, you have farther to fall if you omit the items and therefore you should guess. Low ability—omit; high ability—guess; medium ability—see above.

This is from the official MBA blog, circa 2009: https://www.mba.com/us/the-gmat-blog-hub ... ssing.aspx. I always found it interesting that the GMAT's creators aren't completely clear on this issue -- but apparently, failing to answer a few questions at the end of the test isn't as apocalyptic as we might have believed.

The full study is available here: https://www.gmac.com/market-intelligence ... 1491081791
Tutor

Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
TDK82 wrote:
I recently took exam 6 from EP2...

In verbal, only missed 4 questions (9,18,37,41) but got only V42...Is it possible that EP2 didn't have enough hard questions to try me for V43/44?

I feel exam 5 (from EP2) exhausted many hard questions...in exam 5 I got V41 even after missing as many as 12 questions (wrongs clustered in the middle and end)...

So probably the first exam from each pack is a better judge and more realistic database of questions...with enough hard arsenal...?

Yes, agreed. The problem is that Exam Packs 1 (Tests 3-4) and Exam Pack 2 (Tests 5-6) draw from the same pool of questions for both tests. If you are a high scorer, then it's likely that you will exhaust many of the hardest questions on the 1st test in the set, since there are only 400 questions in the pool, compared to about 1,500 total questions for the Default Exam Pack that includes tests 1 and 2.

To avoid this problem, you could reset the tests...but then you might see repeat questions.

-Brian

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 08 May 2017, 08:08.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 08 May 2017, 08:15, edited 2 times in total.
Tutor

Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
kivalo wrote:

V37: Did not answer last question (SC).

One question difference, 4 points lower total Verbal score! Yes, it's clear that there is a penalty for not finishing. However, you did get one additional question correct as well, which explains some (but not all) of the difference in your composite Verbal score.

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 08 May 2017, 08:10.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 30 Jul 2017, 15:50, edited 2 times in total.
Tutor

Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
lavya07 wrote:
As I can see this post is 4 years old. Are the scenarios still accurate enough?

These scenarios are still accurate for the tests included in the free GMATPrep software, which has not changed much over the last 4 years. The problem is that the GMATPrep software does not use the exact same algorithm as does the real GMAT. Thus, there is no way to know for sure whether these GMATPrep results will be duplicated on the actual test.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hey guys!! First of all, thanks for the amazing work you’ve been doing.

Is it possible to test these scenarios with the new exam pack released by Gmac????
Browsing in this forum (and others) I’ve seen that people have experienced scores not in line with the scenarios in this thread. And most importantly, it looks like they’ve had more problems with the second test they’ve taken; that is, lower scores with more questions answered correctly ( I know the importance of the order in the algorithm). As if the questions pool isn’t big enough to sustain two tests at high scores.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mator wrote:
Hey guys!! First of all, thanks for the amazing work you’ve been doing.

Is it possible to test these scenarios with the new exam pack released by Gmac????
Browsing in this forum (and others) I’ve seen that people have experienced scores not in line with the scenarios in this thread. And most importantly, it looks like they’ve had more problems with the second test they’ve taken; that is, lower scores with more questions answered correctly ( I know the importance of the order in the algorithm). As if the questions pool isn’t big enough to sustain two tests at high scores.

Yes, it is possible but not necessary since the exam packs do not carry a new scoring algorithm and simply work within the existing scoring system.
Moreover, Exam Packs do not have many questions in them (they have only about 1/5th or 1/10th of what GMAT Prep has, thus their accuracy is lower)
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
dabral wrote:
I know for sure that on Quant you do not need to answer 100% of the questions right to get Q51. I have missed problems on the real GMAT and still got a Q51. And on GMATPrep, one can miss 6 questions and still get a Q51. I don't know how it is on the Verbal section of the GMAT, but my guess would be that it would be the same.

I was just reading through this thread for the first time in years, and saw this. In case you're curious, I'm fairly sure it's impossible to get a V51 with even a single wrong answer (ignoring experimental questions), and on GMATPrep tests, with one mistake I've either seen V49 or V50 scores, and with two mistakes I've seen V47 or V48 scores.

It's best to think of the Q51 level as analogous to the V45 or V46 level, which is where the percentiles line up (or at least did, before the Quant percentiles got skewed). There's a 'top end' on the Verbal scale that doesn't exist in Quant, and you need a near-perfect performance to get into that top end. And there's another factor at work - it's also almost certainly true that the hardest Quant questions are harder than the hardest Verbal questions, which means a mistake on a hard Verbal question hurts your chances at an extremely high score a bit more than a mistake on a hard Quant question would.

And I just tried to give kudos to your post above, warning test takers not to obsess too much about the first ten questions, but the kudos system doesn't seem to be working, so I'll just express my support here. :)
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
mipek wrote:

I think that the algorithm has multiple time variables, i.e. the time spent per question, in addition to whether you get the question right or wrong, determine the difficulty level of your next question, and next question and so on.

Moreover, the score given per section takes into account not only right and wrong answers per difficulty level, but also the average time spent per question and difficulty level, and how many minutes before the clock runs out you finish the section.

This is very definitely not true. The scoring algorithm takes no notice whatsoever of the time you took to answer a question.

mcelroytutoring wrote:
The problem is that the GMATPrep software does not use the exact same algorithm as does the real GMAT.

This is also not true, unless you're talking about technicalities. GMATPrep and the real GMAT both use a 3-parameter IRT-based algorithm.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5