Last visit was: 20 Jul 2024, 09:18 It is currently 20 Jul 2024, 09:18
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Tutor
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 4128
Own Kudos [?]: 9455 [3]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Tutor
Joined: 19 Apr 2009
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Posts: 558
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Tutor
Joined: 10 Jul 2015
Status:Expert GMAT, GRE, and LSAT Tutor / Coach
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Posts: 1182
Own Kudos [?]: 2439 [0]
Given Kudos: 274
Location: United States (CO)
Age: 44
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Joined: 22 Jun 2014
Posts: 970
Own Kudos [?]: 3939 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink]
dabral wrote:
Hi Yashkumar,

If you have clicked on one of the radio buttons and the time runs out, the software will choose that as the answer submitted. It will consider that you have indeed answered the last question.

I do this myself at the end of the test. I will click on any of the answer choices and start working on the question. Once I have my answer, then I will change the choice and press submit. This way if you run out of time, at least the question will be considered answered(even if you are wrong) and there will be no penalty for not completing the section.

Cheers,
Dabral


Hi dabral,

Here is @BB's post stating that this rule is not true anymore. candidate has to submit the choice for final question.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmatclub-tests-245692.html#p1896457

I am wondering if this could be confirmed from some official source. Tried to search for it but no NEW official confirmation found.
Tutor
Joined: 10 Jul 2015
Status:Expert GMAT, GRE, and LSAT Tutor / Coach
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Posts: 1182
Own Kudos [?]: 2439 [0]
Given Kudos: 274
Location: United States (CO)
Age: 44
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
HKD1710 wrote:
dabral wrote:
Hi Yashkumar,

If you have clicked on one of the radio buttons and the time runs out, the software will choose that as the answer submitted. It will consider that you have indeed answered the last question.

I do this myself at the end of the test. I will click on any of the answer choices and start working on the question. Once I have my answer, then I will change the choice and press submit. This way if you run out of time, at least the question will be considered answered(even if you are wrong) and there will be no penalty for not completing the section.

Cheers,
Dabral


Hi dabral,

Here is @BB's post stating that this rule is not true anymore. candidate has to submit the choice for final question.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmatclub-tests-245692.html#p1896457

I am wondering if this could be confirmed from some official source. Tried to search for it but no NEW official confirmation found.


The GMAC has provided conflicting and ambiguous answers to this question in the past. The lesson here: to play it safe, always confirm your final answer before time expires.

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 30 Jul 2017, 12:14.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 30 Jul 2017, 15:45, edited 2 times in total.
GMAT Tutor
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 4128
Own Kudos [?]: 9455 [3]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink]
2
Kudos
1
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Anyone who claims to know the exact specifics of the GMAT algorithm (and corresponding score conversions) vs. the GMAT Prep algorithm (and corresponding score conversions) is either lying, or in serious breach of a GMAC confidentiality agreement.


I gather this is directed at me. I don't know where you've gotten your information about the scoring algorithm, but you are misinformed on some important questions.

It is true, in a literal sense, that some of the algorithm is secret. If someone is administering an IRT-based test, there are certain parameters he or she can freely set without affecting the integrity of the test. Only the designers of the GMAT would know how they've set those parameters. But those are really just technical details. The mathematical basis of the algorithm, which is what is important, is well-known. The GMAT uses a three-parameter IRT model, a fact confirmed in many official research reports. I invite you to research that on your own if you are unsure if what I am saying is true, but someone repeating that is neither lying nor in breach of any confidentiality agreement.

The important information that is not public knowledge, and which you would absolutely need to reverse engineer your score from your responses on a GMATPrep or real GMAT test, are the statistics associated with each test question - the difficulty, discrimination and guessing parameter values. Because those question statistics will vary from test to test, a particular response pattern (right/wrong/right/wrong/etc, for example) will typically produce different scores each time. But those statistics have nothing to do with the underlying algorithm, in the same way that the difficulty levels of questions on a traditional multiple choice test, where your grade is the percentage of questions you answer correctly, have nothing to do with how the test is graded. The GMAT's underlying algorithm is just based on probability theory.

I've read dozens of academic papers in this area, and have programmed an IRT-based algorithm using the same model as the GMAT, so while I'm not a specialist in this area, (anyone doing a graduate degree in the field would know more about it than I do) I do know something about it.
Tutor
Joined: 10 Jul 2015
Status:Expert GMAT, GRE, and LSAT Tutor / Coach
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Posts: 1182
Own Kudos [?]: 2439 [0]
Given Kudos: 274
Location: United States (CO)
Age: 44
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
IanStewart wrote:
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Anyone who claims to know the exact specifics of the GMAT algorithm (and corresponding score conversions) vs. the GMAT Prep algorithm (and corresponding score conversions) is either lying, or in serious breach of a GMAC confidentiality agreement.


I gather this is directed at me. I don't know where you've gotten your information about the scoring algorithm, but you are misinformed on some important questions.

It is true, in a literal sense, that some of the algorithm is secret. If someone is administering an IRT-based test, there are certain parameters he or she can freely set without affecting the integrity of the test. Only the designers of the GMAT would know how they've set those parameters. But those are really just technical details. The mathematical basis of the algorithm, which is what is important, is well-known. The GMAT uses a three-parameter IRT model, a fact confirmed in many official research reports. I invite you to research that on your own if you are unsure if what I am saying is true, but someone repeating that is neither lying nor in breach of any confidentiality agreement.

The important information that is not public knowledge, and which you would absolutely need to reverse engineer your score from your responses on a GMATPrep or real GMAT test, are the statistics associated with each test question - the difficulty, discrimination and guessing parameter values. Because those question statistics will vary from test to test, a particular response pattern (right/wrong/right/wrong/etc, for example) will typically produce different scores each time. But those statistics have nothing to do with the underlying algorithm, in the same way that the difficulty levels of questions on a traditional multiple choice test, where your grade is the percentage of questions you answer correctly, have nothing to do with how the test is graded. The GMAT's underlying algorithm is just based on probability theory.

I've read dozens of academic papers in this area, and have programmed an IRT-based algorithm using the same model as the GMAT, so while I'm not a specialist in this area, (anyone doing a graduate degree in the field would know more about it than I do) I do know something about it.


I'm not disputing what you're saying: that the GMAT algorithm is based on a 3-parameter IRT model. What I am saying (and which you have already acknowledged) is that the GMAT algorithm is much more complex than the general model on which it is based--with secret, specific settings on the parameters that are only known by a select few who work for GMAC--and that it differs significantly from the GMAT Prep algorithm, partially because of the presence of 25.6% experimental questions on the real GMAT, vs 0% experimental on the GMATPrep tests.

I challenge you to find an ESR from a student who got the first 27 questions right on Quant, and the last 10 questions wrong, and earned a 50/51. It's never going to happen on a real GMAT. Yet that's exactly what happened on the (very helpful, but not totally accurate) GMATPrep simulations done by Bunuel.

-Brian

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 30 Jul 2017, 16:04.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 28 May 2018, 17:57, edited 3 times in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 5318
Own Kudos [?]: 4735 [0]
Given Kudos: 660
Location: India
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink]
Expert Reply
IanStewart wrote:
It is true, in a literal sense, that some of the algorithm is secret. If someone is administering an IRT-based test, there are certain parameters he or she can freely set without affecting the integrity of the test. Only the designers of the GMAT would know how they've set those parameters. But those are really just technical details. The mathematical basis of the algorithm, which is what is important, is well-known. The GMAT uses a three-parameter IRT model, a fact confirmed in many official research reports. I invite you to research that on your own if you are unsure if what I am saying is true, but someone repeating that is neither lying nor in breach of any confidentiality agreement.
I agree. I would also urge test takers to read up on some (basic) IRT before choosing a course of action based on some of the advice on this thread.
Tutor
Joined: 10 Jul 2015
Status:Expert GMAT, GRE, and LSAT Tutor / Coach
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Posts: 1182
Own Kudos [?]: 2439 [0]
Given Kudos: 274
Location: United States (CO)
Age: 44
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
To put it more simply: category does not indicate specifics. Just because I have two pieces of fruit in my cart doesn't mean that they are both apples. And just because the GMATPrep tests and the real GMAT use the same *type* of algorithm does not mean that their precise algorithms are exactly the same. The results I've seen from real GMATs simply don't support that assertion. But yes, the real GMAT does behave in a similar way to the GMAT Prep tests, with some important differences, such as the example I mentioned above.

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 30 Jul 2017, 20:00.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 14 Dec 2017, 12:40, edited 3 times in total.
GMAT Tutor
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 4128
Own Kudos [?]: 9455 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Expert Reply
mcelroytutoring wrote:
I'm not disputing what you're saying: that the GMAT algorithm is based on a 3-parameter IRT model. What I am saying (and which you have already acknowledged) is that the GMAT algorithm is much more complex than the general model on which it is based--with secret, specific settings on the parameters that are only known by a select few who work for GMAC--and that it differs significantly from the GMAT Prep algorithm, partially because of the presence of 25.6% experimental questions on the real GMAT, vs 0% experimental on the GMATPrep tests.


You are misrepresenting what I said. I'll try to be as clear as possible:

- the GMAT algorithm is not "much more complex than the general model on which it is based"
- the GMAT algorithm does not "differ significantly from the GMAT Prep algorithm"
- the math used in the algorithm is entirely the same regardless of whether experimental questions appear on the test

I've explained these things in earlier posts.

You really put me in an unfair position when you write posts like this. I'm sure my replies seem argumentative to anyone reading them, and I don't want to argue with anyone on this forum. At the same time, I don't want my views to be misrepresented, and if I don't reply, people might think I agree with you, and I do not. You've twice now mischaracterized what I've said, and it's needlessly taking up a lot of my time replying to these mischaracterizations. So I won't continue a conversation with you, but I'd ask in the future to please speak only for yourself, and please do not try to speak for me.
Tutor
Joined: 10 Jul 2015
Status:Expert GMAT, GRE, and LSAT Tutor / Coach
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Posts: 1182
Own Kudos [?]: 2439 [0]
Given Kudos: 274
Location: United States (CO)
Age: 44
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
I'm not going to split hairs between "different" and "much different," or get into the semantics of algorithms vs. their associated parameters. My point remains: The real GMAT and the GMATPrep software use the same *type* of algorithm, but due to various other differences, the real GMAT most decidedly does not behave the same way as does GMATPrep, particularly with regard to scoring, question difficulty, and the number of experimental questions.

Agree to disagree, but I apologize if you think that I've mischaracterized your comments--I certainly know the feeling.

"To be great is to be misunderstood."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 31 Jul 2017, 13:29.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 14 Dec 2017, 12:40, edited 6 times in total.
Founder
Founder
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 37851
Own Kudos [?]: 74220 [1]
Given Kudos: 20575
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Expert Reply
HKD1710 wrote:
dabral wrote:
Hi Yashkumar,

If you have clicked on one of the radio buttons and the time runs out, the software will choose that as the answer submitted. It will consider that you have indeed answered the last question.

I do this myself at the end of the test. I will click on any of the answer choices and start working on the question. Once I have my answer, then I will change the choice and press submit. This way if you run out of time, at least the question will be considered answered(even if you are wrong) and there will be no penalty for not completing the section.

Cheers,
Dabral


Hi dabral,

Here is @BB's post stating that this rule is not true anymore. candidate has to submit the choice for final question.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmatclub-tests-245692.html#p1896457

I am wondering if this could be confirmed from some official source. Tried to search for it but no NEW official confirmation found.


I have confirmed it with GMAC. Anyone else is also welcome to contact them about this specific question. The old policy for years has been that any question where the answer choice was selected but not confirmed, was accepted and automatically submitted. However, people started reporting that GMAT prep software stopped accepting this approach a year or so ago (anyone wants to check to confirm this with latest version?) and when I have checked in with GMAC, they said that indeed, the last question is not automatically submitted.

They AWA is still submitted if you run out of time.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 16 Jun 2016
Posts: 15
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 129
Location: Indonesia
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q42 V20
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink]
Hi guys,

I took two GMAT Prep Exam and found 6-8 of first 11 Verbal questions are RC.

Is that pattern consistent in real GMAT Exam?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 5318
Own Kudos [?]: 4735 [0]
Given Kudos: 660
Location: India
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink]
Expert Reply
brightandamen wrote:
Hi guys,

I took two GMAT Prep Exam and found 6-8 of first 11 Verbal questions are RC.

Is that pattern consistent in real GMAT Exam?
It could happen, but I don't think it's very common.
avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 10 Sep 2013
Posts: 1
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink]
AjiteshArun wrote:
brightandamen wrote:
Hi guys,

I took two GMAT Prep Exam and found 6-8 of first 11 Verbal questions are RC.

Is that pattern consistent in real GMAT Exam?
It could happen, but I don't think it's very common.


Arun I faced the same situation in my prep and then also on my GMAT(given on 2nd Sep,17). Actually I faced 3 very long RC's, ie 9-10 questions by the end of my 14th question. Remembered this as confused whether there is any wrong with the patter or my attempt. This though is very unprecedented.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 5318
Own Kudos [?]: 4735 [0]
Given Kudos: 660
Location: India
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink]
Expert Reply
shubhankarmishra wrote:
Arun I faced the same situation in my prep and then also on my GMAT(given on 2nd Sep,17). Actually I faced 3 very long RC's, ie 9-10 questions by the end of my 14th question. Remembered this as confused whether there is any wrong with the patter or my attempt. This though is very unprecedented.
Yes, I can see how that might affect a test taker's performance. A few might actually like the "flow" that comes with doing only RC questions, but so many RCs together at the start will take a lot more effort in the beginning of the test and will almost certainly throw a test taker's timing strategy off.
Tutor
Joined: 10 Jul 2015
Status:Expert GMAT, GRE, and LSAT Tutor / Coach
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Posts: 1182
Own Kudos [?]: 2439 [0]
Given Kudos: 274
Location: United States (CO)
Age: 44
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
I think the important thing to remember here is that the GMAC makes sure that each Verbal (and Quant) section has an equal proportion of question types--but also that the questions will appear in random order over the course of the test. So if you get a lot of RCs at the beginning, then try not to panic or rush: it simply means that you will be served more CRs and SCs later in the section.

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 30 Sep 2017, 14:52.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 14 Dec 2017, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Status: GMAT/GRE/LSAT tutors
Posts: 6988
Own Kudos [?]: 64540 [0]
Given Kudos: 1823
Location: United States (CO)
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink]
Expert Reply
brightandamen wrote:
Hi guys,

I took two GMAT Prep Exam and found 6-8 of first 11 Verbal questions are RC.

Is that pattern consistent in real GMAT Exam?

You'll always see four RC passages on the GMAT. Usually, three of those passages will have three questions, and one passage will have four questions.

But those passages can appear absolutely anywhere in the verbal section. When I take the GMAT, I keep track of how many passages I've seen, because I don't particularly enjoy them toward the end of the section. I'm thrilled if they show up early in the section, when I'm still fresh -- but that's just me. :)

If it bugs you to see those RCs in funny places, you might also want to keep a tally of how many passages have appeared. That way, you won't be shocked if you see a bunch toward the end -- or none at all toward the end of the section.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 30 Oct 2016
Posts: 66
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Location: United States
Send PM
Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink]
So based on this it sounds like it's best to make sure you get the first ~25 ish questions right and just guess the last 12? assuming you would get 12 wrong
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 5318
Own Kudos [?]: 4735 [0]
Given Kudos: 660
Location: India
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink]
Expert Reply
arcticTO wrote:
So based on this it sounds like it's best to make sure you get the first ~25 ish questions right and just guess the last 12? assuming you would get 12 wrong
Depends on whether you're trying to get a high score or not. If you're looking for a high score, this would be a terrible strategy to follow.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5