Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:33 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [0]
Send PM
Re: GMAT Preparation strategy [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Ok, in broad terms I would say you start with a practice exam to establish a baseline and get you a first view of the CATs. Then work through the guides (you might look into some foundational guides as well), going through a quant and verbal guide every 1-2 weeks. Once you get 2/3 through the guides take another CAT and finish of the guides. From the point take a CAT every week or two. Determine you areas of weakness and focus on those areas while completing timed sets of OG questions.

That is my 2 second preparation strategy guidance. :)

KW
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi rahulzlpr,

This is essentially a list of commonly-used books, but many Test Takers who take a 'book-heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. That may or may not happen to you, but we won't know until you get a bit further into your studies.

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

1) Have you scheduled your Official GMAT yet?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich,

I will probably start my prep from march onwards mostly the beginning. I am planning to appear for the GMAT in late June early July. Planning to apply this year or may be a slight possibility of applying next year depending on my score and overall profile. I guess I will schedule my GMAT after the 1st phase of prep or maybe after taking some CAT's to gauge whether I am on track to achieve my desired score and then decide to schedule the gmat. Also shouldn't I take the initial diagnostic CAT without any prep since that will be a fair assessment of my standing. Also I have been appearing for some aptitude based tests and some local competitive exams in past years or so. Also I have been reading books off late so its not that I am completely out of touch with regard to the basics.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi rahulzlpr,

Starting your studies in March, with the goal to take the GMAT in June or July, is fine. You'll have 3+ months of study time, which is good.

If you want to do a bit of reading/practice, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic question types and content before taking that first CAT, then that's fine. You can also take the Test 'cold', if you prefer. The point is that, once you start your studies, you should not wait too long to take that initial CAT. There are a number of 'training areas' that you have to work on throughout your studies - and some of them can ONLY be defined/practiced by taking FULL-LENGTH CATs at regular intervals.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot