Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:46 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q50  V41
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Concentration: General Management , Strategy
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
Re: GMAT Rewrite [#permalink]
StartupAddict wrote:
I'm willing to tell you my verbal, but man, under two conditions-- you keep it a secret, and provide some constructive feedback. I'm pretty sure i know why I scored so low, but I was so shocked after.

No need to share corporate secrets if you don't want to :) I am willing to offer any advice I can think of, FWIW.

I don't remember what I wrote specifically, but in general I never thought it was a good idea to retake after a 750. My responses tended towards that belief. That said, your #2 test is in the books, you can't change history.

You are already at 750+ level and you have pretty much exhausted all the most accurate materials. My initial reaction to using LSAT materials is no, that couldn't possibly help much, but if you know what LSAT cover and you think it will help, go for it.

As with most 750+ gmatters, there isn't really much left to learn for you, I would change only one thing: be prepared to cancel the score. If you don't have a good feeling about it, you are better off with a 750 and a bomb than a 750 and 2 bombs.

If at the end of the test you do feel good, see the score. You may well end up with a 750, a bomb, and a 780. I said earlier that this is debatable whether to be worth it, but it sounds like you prefer a #3 with 780 over what you have now with a 750 and a bomb.

I don't think 800 is a realistic goal anymore, because there is no way to prepare yourself for this. 800 is for someone who can pretty consistently get 790-800 on their first 10 GMATpreps and it sounds like you are far beyond the first 10 reinstalls.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
I agree. Although I have considered that possibility as well-- A 750/bomb/Cancel would look horrendous. I will only rewrite it if I feel 100% confident.

The OG10 is proving to be excellent practice, yet again. I see a few repeats, but most of the questions I do not recall at all, so I have to follow the thought process. The main thing to nailing a high score is the mental endurance.

The LSAT material isn't directly relevant, however, it will definitely help train the mental endurance. I am of the opinion that the GMAT is about 40-60% knowing the material, and 60-40% just pure mental power. The faster/less tired you are, the longer you can keep nailing the hard questions.

It's like the Quant-- the last time I wrote it, I didn't see any hard questions. I ended up running out of time due to overshooting my break, and of course being tired. Even the last few questions, 2 in particular I remember I got flashbacks during the Verbal. One answer just came to me on the drive back home. Again, not difficult at all, very simple actually-- it's just a matter of being awake/fast enough.

There isn't much more I can learn. I know everything there is to know in regards to the Quant & Verbal, it's just a matter of speed/endurance. Hence why I'm going to hit the LSAT material a bit-- RC passages in excess of 100+ lines should be excellent practice :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
OG10 Verbal

RC: 73-79, 7/7, 7 minutes.
RC: 80-87, 8/8, 10 minutes.
CR: 79-89, 11/11, 17 mins.
SC: 65-80, 16/16, 12 mins.
RC: 137-143, 7/7, 10 mins.
CR: 92-96, 4/5, 7 mins.

Overall 47/48, 64 mins.

Brain was FRIED after 45 mins... need to work on stamina.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Concentration: General Management , Strategy
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Nice to see you back...

StartupAddict wrote:
OG10 Verbal

Brain was FRIED after 45 mins... need to work on stamina.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Third time the charm...

Yesterday

CR: 97-102, 11/11, 20 mins
RC: 88-89 (the file was cut off, didn't see the rest of the questions), 125-130 1 wrong, 11m, 160-166 1 wrong, 10 m.
overall 13/15
SC: 79-90, 9 m, 1 wrong.

Speed:
CR: 109s/q (slow)
RC: 108s/q
SC: 45s/q

So 35/38 in about 56 mins, 88s/q

Today

RC 149-153, 5/5, 7m
RC 154-159, 5/6, 7 m
RC 175-182, 5/8, 19 m (the eukyratic Science passage from OG10... did it last and was distracted).

Speed:
RC: 104s/q (argh)
CR: 60s/q (better)
SC: 34s/q (better)

SC: 91-115, 25/25, 14 m.
CR: Random questions, 19/19, 19 mins (60s/q)

Overall 63q in 66m. 62s/q. Much faster today. RC still needs work. Can anyone give me a link to the RC 1000 file? Maybe I'll start doing LSAT passages...
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
I have a hypothetical for you that will help me understand what and why you're doing what you're doing.

If you get 3 questions wrong on the quant section and it takes you 60 minutes to get through it. And lets say, hypothetically, I am able to take the exact same test (questions and all or this won't make sense), and I get 3 questions wrong, but it took me 74 minutes to complete. If we get the same exact questions wrong, and the questions were given in the same exact order, would we get the same score?

I do not understand the emphasis you're placing on going so fast unless it is also a consideration in your score.
GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 693 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q51  V50
Send PM
jallenmorris wrote:
I have a hypothetical for you that will help me understand what and why you're doing what you're doing.

If you get 3 questions wrong on the quant section and it takes you 60 minutes to get through it. And lets say, hypothetically, I am able to take the exact same test (questions and all or this won't make sense), and I get 3 questions wrong, but it took me 74 minutes to complete. If we get the same exact questions wrong, and the questions were given in the same exact order, would we get the same score?

I do not understand the emphasis you're placing on going so fast unless it is also a consideration in your score.

I'm sure that you would get the same score. However, being able to do questions really quickly and accurately has an important advantage: it gives you the luxury of being able to dedicate extra time to a couple of questions that have you stumped. For me, this was important in the Q section, but not in the V.
Startupaddict is shooting for the stars!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Speed is critical because as Kevin said, it allows you to dedicate more time on the trickier questions, the 50-51Q questions. I remember both times I wrote it I ran out of time towards the end and ended up missing about 5 questions, hence why I only got a 50Q each time.

Verbal I find endurance is more critical, because as soon as you get tired on the Verbal it's over. *cough* Molecular Biology / astrophysics Science RC passages *cough cough*
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Paper Test 55

CR - 16/16, 14m,
PS - 15/15, 12m
RC - 17/18, 18m (good, was in the zone), 60s/q, the passages came to me crystal clear. But no science passages... argh
DS - 20/20, 22m, 65s/q (thought on a few)
SC - 21/22, 17m, 46s/q
PS - 16/16, 7m

Missed a hard RC inference type question, and a parallelism question in SC (I picked the shorter one over the more parallel one).

Verbal - 49
Quant - 51
Overall 800

Completed in 90mins instead of 150m, 46s/q on average. I need to practice doing passages nonstop in a row.................. I want to be able to do 10 passages in a row without getting tired.

Saw a few repeats, but I'm still pleased. Going to work on RC stamina... does anyone have some extra science passages? Does the LSAT have any? GRE? Does anyone have the RC1000 file? I tried searching the forums but am unable to find it... thanks : - )
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
CR: 17/18 - 28m, 93s/q (tough CR's, towards the end of OG10)
RC 18/20 - 35m, 105s/q, 4 passages, reading endurance is improving, that's good.
SC: 21/21, 12m, 34s/q

So 59 questions in 75 minutes, 76s/q.

About the same as yesterday, endurance is getting better. Going to do a Paper Test tomorrow, and do some Math questions. Going to write first week of September I think. I want to get into the habit of doing about 8 passages/day up until I write, along with Math, CR and SC. SC I'm not too worried about, I'm an SC god... :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Did a GMATClub Quant CAT then some Paper Test CR/SC.

Got a few questions wrong on the Quant, good practice none the less. I disagree with a lot of the answers... ahem any math major knows that 0^0 = 1.

Going to practice more tomorrow.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Send PM
StartupAddict wrote:
Did a GMATClub Quant CAT then some Paper Test CR/SC.

Got a few questions wrong on the Quant, good practice none the less. I disagree with a lot of the answers... ahem any math major knows that 0^0 = 1.

Going to practice more tomorrow.

I don't think these tests are CATs... they're not adaptive.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Oxford
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Hey, StartupAddict,
Nice to see your progress. Hope you will achieve the score you desire.
Just one thing:
Quote:
...any math major knows that 0^0 = 1.

BTW, the issue of the value of 0^0 is not as simple as it seems.
See here, for example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponentiation#Zero_to_the_zero_power
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Yeah that's what I figured, good practice none the less.

0^0=1 : ) I'm with the combinatorial school of math...... there is only one empty set :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Did a GMATPrep and a Paper Test back to back. GMATprep was done in 60m Q and 40m V, saw a few repeats in the Verbal.

GMATprep I got 2 Math wrong-- one was impossible wtf, I spent 10+ minutes on it and got it wrong. I'm going to review it. One was a stupid mistake, and the 3 wrong in Verbal were all SC's, I neglected to pick the shortest answer (had it narrowed down to 2).

I then immediately did a Paper Test,

RC: 14/18 (tired), 15m, 1 passage was a repeat
DS: 20/20, 10m
SC: 20/22, 12m
PS: 16/16, 9m
CR: 16/16, 15m (yes!)
PS: 16/16, 10m

Overall math was 37q/s on the paper, RC was 60s/q (much better, but had a repeat), SC was 32s/q, and CR was 38s/q (much better).
Got a 780 on both.

I want to find that RC1000 file, anyone? I need to do LSAT passages to fry the brain...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
omg brain is fried...... I'm trying to study and my brain just burns..... have to keep pushing the endurance...
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5 
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts