Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:21 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Re: GMAT Score 700 in First GMAT Prep Test [#permalink]
I'm usually hesitant about the "questions and practice test only" approach, but so far you're doing fine. However, your excellent math skills allow you to prepare this way. For verbal, it's a different story. Simply put, you need to study the Powerscore CR Bible and Manhattan SC guide. For RC, question practice usually is enough; use LSAT RC passages to toughen yourself up (those are longer and more difficult). If you're extremely weak in RC and need intense preparation, then Powerscore RC Bible is an option.

If you needs conceptual help for math, the Manhattan math series might offer some value (the geometry book is pretty good, short, and affordable). For probability and combinatorics, Veritas Prep apparently offers the best book. If you just want question practice, an excellent source is Jeff Sackmann's math sets (I have a link below in my signature space). Sackmann's questions are absolutely fantastic and are divided into a number of different categories and difficulty levels. GMATClub Tests are also amazing. Those two sources saved my quant score.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi bmillan01,

Thanks again for the reply.

I think there is sense in what you say.

Let me do this.

I will complete all the material which i have by the end of this month.

I will spend the month of Nov implementing your suggestions.

But i already bought the Manhattan Test Series. And i don't want to spend again on GMAT Club Tests.

As you said, i will work on LSAT RCs from 1000 RC sets.

Apart from this, i will buy only Total GMAT Math of Jeff Sackmann and the Powerscore CR Bible.
I already have the Manhattan SC guide.
By buying the two books, i am covering everything.
I am assuming that the Total GMAT Math book covers Data Sufficiency also.

Hope you agree to this idea.
Regards,
Chellappa
SVP
SVP
Actually, there's another way to gain access to the GMATClub tests. If you are a member for three months and have 200 (legitimate) posts, then access is free! Try to be active in the verbal forums (answer questions in detail and defend your choices). You need practice in that area anyway, so this way you kill two birds with one stone. Remember, though, to have some substance in your posts (no post-padding please!).

Before rushing in to buy the products, take another day or so to think about it in order to be extra sure. But definitely purchase the Powerscore CR Bible as soon as possible. Make sure to read that, and the Manhattan SC guide, twice.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

I wrote Manhattan GMAT today.
Thought i could share my scores with you.

Total Score - 680
Verbal - 34
Quant - 48

While the scores are similar to my GMAT Prep( Quant - 49 and Verbal - 35) , the number of questions i got wrong are more in MGMAT.
I came to know that MGMAT is tougher compared to GMAT Prep and hence the scores.

Please let me know your thoughts.

I have four more MGMATs and 1 GMAT Prep with me. While i will do one Test every weekend.

I would like your help on how to maximize my scores in Nov.
Looks like i am hanging around 660 - 680 score currently.

I am aiming for 720 atleast. So i am short of 50 points.

I know some of my weaknesses such as Geometry , Probability. I am going to work on that.

I would request you to guide on how to approach the month of Nov.

I am sure there would be many like me hovering around 660 ..670 .. and falling short of some 50 points to be on a good level.

Waiting for some suggestions from you, thanks in advance.

Hope everything else is fine at ur end..
Regards,
Chellappa
SVP
SVP
For starters, you're right to focus on the weak areas. Re-read the appropriate sections in the Manhattan math series or whatever guidebook that you're using.

As already mentioned, the GMATClub tests are an excellent resource to strengthen one's math skills. But this leads me to scold you here, ckarimanoor. I encouraged you to be more active on the verbal forums, but unfortunately this hasn't happened yet. Your quant is already strong, but the verbal section is what you really need to focus on. Without actively taking part in the verbal forums, you're missing out on an opportunity to improve. In fact, you didn't even mention verbal in your post! Provide us with as much information here, please.

I don't mean to sound harsh or accuse you of anything, but many who are strong in math unknowingly fall into this comfort zone and focus on scoring a 51Q and sacrifice study time for verbal. Don't succumb to this temptation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I always found GMAT prep to be extremely (almost uncannily!) accurate. This also means that the questions are closest to the real thing. Don't worry too much if you got more questions wrong in the MGMAT, just focus & rectify any conceptual mistakes that you might have made. I would keep the 2nd GMAT prep as the last practice test before the GMAT.

As far as maximizing your score goes, conditioning is the key. GMAT is more a test of your mental stamina for 4 hours straight than anything else. I did put a detailed blog post on what I think contributed towards getting a 780 GMAT at https://www.colormeone.com/blog/2011/7/2 ... oning.html that might be useful to you.

Good Luck!

Color Me One MBA Admission Consulting
Brand Your MBA Application
https://www.colormeone.com

Contact us for a free essay evaluation!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Schools: HKUST
GMAT Date: 12-02-2011
GPA: 3.1
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
GMAT PREP is the best indicator to your score. The fact that you scored so high initially is a great sign that you will do very well on the real thing.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bmillan01 wrote:
For starters, you're right to focus on the weak areas. Re-read the appropriate sections in the Manhattan math series or whatever guidebook that you're using.

As already mentioned, the GMATClub tests are an excellent resource to strengthen one's math skills. But this leads me to scold you here, ckarimanoor. I encouraged you to be more active on the verbal forums, but unfortunately this hasn't happened yet. Your quant is already strong, but the verbal section is what you really need to focus on. Without actively taking part in the verbal forums, you're missing out on an opportunity to improve. In fact, you didn't even mention verbal in your post! Provide us with as much information here, please.

I don't mean to sound harsh or accuse you of anything, but many who are strong in math unknowingly fall into this comfort zone and focus on scoring a 51Q and sacrifice study time for verbal. Don't succumb to this temptation.

Hi,
Thanks for giving a frank opinion. I am in need of such opinions.
Infact I expected something similar from u ...
Having said this,I request u to plz point out the steps I need to follow for the next one month as far as verbal is concerned.

I am ready to follow your instructions ...
You asked for more information on verbal, can u tell me what kind of information you are looking for.
I got 21 corrects .
Let me do one thing. I will give you a break of each verbal section for all my tests..
Waiting eagerly to read your instructions..
Regards,
Chellappa

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Mindreko wrote:
GMAT PREP is the best indicator to your score. The fact that you scored so high initially is a great sign that you will do very well on the real thing.

Hi,
Thanks for the encouragement.
I need to improve on verbal section , I am getting in the range of 32..34.
I have to reach the target of 40.
Plz feel free to suggest to maximize my verbal score.
Thanks,
Clarimanoor

Intern
Intern
Send PM
ColorMeOne wrote:
I always found GMAT prep to be extremely (almost uncannily!) accurate. This also means that the questions are closest to the real thing. Don't worry too much if you got more questions wrong in the MGMAT, just focus & rectify any conceptual mistakes that you might have made. I would keep the 2nd GMAT prep as the last practice test before the GMAT.

As far as maximizing your score goes, conditioning is the key. GMAT is more a test of your mental stamina for 4 hours straight than anything else. I did put a detailed blog post on what I think contributed towards getting a 780 GMAT at https://www.colormeone.com/blog/2011/7/2 ... oning.html that might be useful to you.

Good Luck!

Color Me One MBA Admission Consulting
Brand Your MBA Application
https://www.colormeone.com

Contact us for a free essay evaluation!

Thanks,
I will read your blog,
Please suggest some ideas to maximize my verbal score...
Currently I am in the 32..34 range score.
Regards,
Ckarimanoor

SVP
SVP
I don't feel confident enough to provide you with instructions, but I can at least offer you some general ideas and suggestions.

For the whole month, you probably need to read the Manhattan SC guidebook and Powerscore CR Bible. Just keep re-reading them - even when it seems boring. You want this stuff to be second-nature to you.

For question practice, complete the OG Verbal (easy) and OG 12 (slightly harder). Fully read every single explanation. On the verbal forums, answer questions and fully explain and defend your choice. Be as thorough and complete as possible. Even if others have already provided the solution, contribute anyway. Also, purchase the LSAT SuperPrep book. It contains 150 LSAT LR (CR) and 100 RC questions with explanations. The RC exercises are particularly good. Along with the remaining Manhattan CAT's and GMATPrep test, this totals to hundreds of practice questions. Remember: answer questions, review explanations, and read guidebooks.

As for time allocation, spend as much time as possible on verbal every day. Don't burden yourself with a super specific timetable. Just keep it simple and do it to death.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Everyone,

I am close to my D day.

My exam is on Monday , the 19th Dec.

I took the first slot of 8 AM. I am not sure if this is good or bad. I've been writing the last three practice tests between 8 am and 12 noon.

At the moment, i am just revising the Manhattan SC and CR Power Score Bible notes.

These are my scores.

GMAT Prep 1) 700 2) 660 ( i hurried a bit in Verbal for this test)

MGMAT - 1) 640 2) 680 3) 680 4) 670 5) 710.

I could not complete the last MGMAT test because i had to work one of the weekends.

So i am writing it tomorrow. ( It might be a bad idea to write test tomorrow. I just want to use all the tests).

All i wanted to ask is, Will my scores be a true reflection of my actual performance on Monday.

Any last minute suggestions or opinions are welcome.

Please post . I will read your replies before i go to the exam.

Thanks & Regards,
ckarimanoor
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72889 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Good luck on Monday!

Do take the test 24 hrs before and depending on how much you stress out on Monday, it should be pretty accurate.

Take a look right here for the last minute/day advice:
test-day-warm-up-78595.html?view-post=591364#p591364 - tips for the last week
10-tips-to-improve-your-score-app-with-no-extra-studying-124393.html

1-week-left-suggestions-on-what-to-do-90084.html

Test Center environment
gmat-testing-center-physical-environment-80167.html
video-tour-of-the-gmat-testing-center-very-interesting-90032.html
gmat-anxiety-99374.html
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Final GMAT Score 680 [#permalink]
Hi All,

I am finally done with my GMAT yesterday, the 19th Dec 2011

I managed to get 680 which is exactly the average scores i got in my Manhattan GMAT and GMAT Prep.

Total - 680
Quant - 50
Verbal - 31

It feels a little bad that i got english less than my average of 33-34 in my practice tests.
My quant score helped me in getting 680.

I selected the following colleges during my exam:

1) UCLA - Anderson, Los Angeles
2) Carnegie Mellon Tepper , Pittsburgh
3) Berkeley- Haas School of Management - Berkeley
4) Chicago , Booth
5) NYU - Stern school of Management, New York.

I am only looking for part time MBA . Also, the earliest i would apply is for 2014 Summer/Autumn.
To brief about my profile:

I am an INDIAN.
Engineering in INDIA.
Age 29.
Have 7+ years of IT and 2+ years of experience in USA.

Please let me know my chances of getting into these colleges or any other college for that matter with the above credentials.

By the time i apply, i would be having 9+ years of IT experience.

To Indian Members,
Please let me know about the chances for ISB , Hyderabad, for my profile.

I want to thank all those who helped me in my preparation during the last 4 months , especially those who responded to my posts.
Waiting to hear more from you all.....
In the meanwhile, have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Regards,
ckarimanoor
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Other
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GRE 1: Q49 V41
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
ckarimanoor wrote:
Hi Guys,

I just gave my first GMAT Prep test and i managed to get 700

Verbal - 35 - 12 incorrect.
Quant - 49. - 8 incorrect.

Total - 700
While it gives some hope, i am more concerned of what i need to do to maintain this .
Another main Question is, how do i know if this score actually reflects my preparation level.

Please suggest how to analyze this performance and what to do to maintain this level.

To give some idea of my profile.
I am a normal IT professional with 7 + years of experience and working USA for the past 2 yrs.

Looking forward to some help from the experts ..

I thought I should chime in here for future parties with similar diag raw scores (I know that I looked after my diag).

I took my GMATPrep diag and got a 690 with a similar raw distro as the OP. Then I spent a pretty lax month (5 hrs/day weekends; 2-3hrs/night weeknights; four or five days off sprinkled throughout) with MGMAT+OG12. I focused on V, specifically MGMAT SC module. I found that my Q maintained itself. Though YMMV, I ultimately ended up with a 730.
GMAT Club Bot