Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:03 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [2]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Schools:Haas R2
Send PM
Re: GMAT score on resume question [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
westsider wrote:
The worst group is the 3rd one. You said you are applying for relatively entry level jobs, so you will be running with a bit of a different crowd than you may be used to. Some people really get offended by someone trying to improve their lot in life. They consider such folks "elitist". I think the recent issue in the media with Obama being called "elitist" proves that (rightly or wrongly I won't make a judgment cause this isn't the place for politics) for some people this really is a big issue. I'm sure we've all met someone who employed "anti-elitist" snobbery at us when we revealed our B-school plans. If you apply for a receptionist job, and they see your gmat score and KNOW WHAT IT MEANS.. they might kind of decide you are an "elite SNOB". I'm sure this is kind of the fringe case, but something to at least consider.

I kind of ran into this situation when our company had a "Get Your MBA!" meeting trying to encourage people to get into management roles and enroll in (part-time) MBA programs. One of my coworkers said he was considering a local school; it's pretty good for the immediate area, but no one outside of the metro knows it. He asked me where I was planning on going, I tried to change the subject, and he persisted in asking. Eventually I told him I was planning on applying to [insert 3 top 10 schools here] and he didn't really want to talk after that.

So the moral of the story is: tailor your message to your audience just like any other public speaking engagement.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [0]
Send PM
I believe that putting your GMAT score on the resume is ok because it shows some math and analytical skills that you have. It is a good idea for IB or consulting. On the other hand, your potential employers might think that you will leave them as soon as you get into your targeted b-school (since you have passed that test not for its own sake).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
I think nick hit it right on the head. However, if nothing is working what do you have to lose? Just make sure you have a good explanation for it if they ask you.

Also, why don't you try and find a temp job while you are looking for a full-time one? You can earn money, gain some experience, try and stand out, and go above and beyond if your tasks are not relevant.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
schools discourage listing gpa and gmat score on resumes submitted through the school. I think it's part of the non-disclosure thing that they seem to be leaning towards. I've heard recruiters will ask though.

I don't think recruiters would really be impressed with an "average" top-10 gmat score (ie around 710) but if you rocked a 760-800, I would want to display that in big, bold letters.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
kavet83 wrote:
Right now I'm desperately trying to get work experience but no one will hire me due to my lack of good experience! It's a stupid cycle.

Gosh I hear you. I had this same experience when I graduated in early '03. It sucks, but the only solution is to grind it out. I had to work at an IT help desk for over a year before I finally got some upward movement. What is your degree in, and what kind of work do you want to do?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
My degree is in recreation management and youth leadership, specifically in therapeutic recreation. Not exactly something that shows my intelligence or my ability to succeed in a business world. I've tried to get a job doing that too, but so far no luck.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Ross 2010
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Regarding the GMAT on the resume I don't think it matters for admissions. Schools will see it in your app anyways. I was on a con call with career services the other day (part of a requirement for my scholarship) and they said if you are going into banking or consulting and have a 700 or greater put your GMAT on your resume. If you don't have a 700 don't. If you aren't going into IB or MC it really doesn't matter because the vast majority of other industries don't care about your GMAT score.

For your job search get creative like others have suggested. I graduated in 2003 and had a friend who took a non-paid position at Smithsonian (she wanted to do PR) which turned into a contract position which eventually turned into a full-time gig. And she was getting to do way better stuff than she would have at a big firm. Bottom line: even if the pay isn't great if it offers good experience take it, it may lead to something better down the road.

Best of luck.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Schools:Wharton, Chicago
 Q49  V44
Send PM
This is an interesting question. In looking at a couple resume books I noticed that at Darden (this was from their VC/PE club) everyone with a 700+ put that GMAT on their resume. Of course, these students kind of fall into the category of IB/MC recruiting since PE recruiting is extremely competitive. In contrast, at Tuck (again VC/PE club) there wasn't a single GMAT on any resume.

For job hunting pre-MBA, I think you should absolutely put a 700+ on your resume.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank you everyone so far for your advice, I really do appreciate it! The problem with volunteering/part time work is that I really need to make enough money to live off of. I don't really think I can just take a job that *might* lead to something better later and have to ask my parents for a loan just to pay my bills. I definitely will look into other options though and I think I will put my GMAT score on my resume. I don't think it would hurt any for the jobs I'm applying for. Now, where to put it on the resume and in what format... hahaha
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
A lot of the start ups will let you work from home / on your own time, especially if they cant afford to pay you. I know that sounds lame, but even if you do a couple hours a week with them it can't hurt. It gives you something interesting to write about in your essays / interviews, and if it goes well, it can lead to something FT. Take a job to get a job to pay bills -- but at least consider putting in a couple of extra hours a week on an ad-hoc basis with someone... could be fun and could be lucrative
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
kavet83,

I remember your profile from the Cornell/Johnson thread. With that in mind, my advice: put your GMAT score on your resume, also put the percentile. Put it in 24 point font. I kid of course. But do it.

During the interview, feel them out. If they ask why you took it, you can say something to the effect of, "To put it on my resume, to prove I'm not a moron." Or, you can take the other angle of, "I plan on attending business school some time in the future. I want to grow within your company and take on many roles not only to enhance your company but also to enhance my candidacy."

blah blah blah

good luck.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Hi Kavet83 - are you in or willing to move to the midwest? My company (we do healthcare IT) is hiring big time and might be a good fit. Send me a PM if you're interested!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Send PM
Well stated Kruton- kudos!

I still think it is sad the we are (socially) expected to "pretend" we are less skilled, or hide our abilities behind a mask of "normal".
Making it socially unacceptable for someone to acknowledge their dreams doesn't seem healthy :(
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot