It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 04:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT scoring

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 15

Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
GMAT scoring [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2010, 21:16
I have a question about GMAT scoring. So is it that the number of questions one gets wrong in V or Q is not correlated to score? I just took the princetonreview test and got 5 wrong in each V and Q and the score turned out to be 660. So how does not get to 700+, does it take less than that many wrong in each? Please tell me how GMAT is scored and if there is any idea of how to increase score?

Consider kudos, they are good for health

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 28524 [0], given: 5114

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT scoring [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2010, 21:31
Hello and welcome to GMAT Club!

You are correct! The number of correct vs incorrect does not matter on the GMAT - it is the number of hard questions you answer correctly that matters (and to get to hard ones you have to answer easy ones correctly).

Would recommend that you take a look at this thread and start here. Otherwise, you should probably be a bit more specific ;)
gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html?highlight=ml301

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2010, 22:10
Thanks for the reply. I guess its the adaptive nature of the test. So really there is no way to predict how well one is doing on the exam, until you see the final score? I see raw score and then scaled score. How does one go from raw to scaled? Is there a formula? My date is 9/11 (don't ask why I chose that one!), hopefully it won't turn out to be a bad one... Little more than a month to go.. I am currently scoring in the 650-700 range, but I want to be consistently scoring in the 700+ range to feel good I guess..

My weakest link is Verbal and SC in particular...

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2010, 22:18
No, you can't really figure out much out of scaled scores. You are in a good spot with your scores, just need to cover that 700 barrier
Take a look at this thread - everything you ever wanted to know about scores: gmat-scores-guide-to-gmat-scores-score-reports-83890.html

Also, gmat score estimator/calculator is a nifty tool.

For SC, would recommend MGMAT SC book if you don't have it and possibly reading and training your ear. If you are international, would highly recommend getting a grammar book or following this discussion, which we are putting together slowly: gmat-grammar-book-96532.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2010, 22:26
Yes I got the Manhattan SC book. I used to first guess SC answers based on what I felt right in my gut, now I see how wrong I was! Continuing on the topic of scores, there is then no concept of a scaled score or raw score for that matter? The tool you have is quite nice, but really one has to take a CAT to get the score then, paper based is out?

I was getting a lot of questions wrong in Verbal - 10 or so each time, and I thought the idea is to limit it to 4-5, but that strategy I guess did not work as I think I was still getting the hard ones wrong... What are the truly CAT exams out there I can try? I already took the GMATPrep test 1 and I got a 720 in it, but I score consistently below in the 660-690 range in other exams..

By the way another question, in the actual GMAT are questions grouped by category? I mean SCs together, DS together or are they all randomly scattered throughout?

Thanks for your help!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2010, 06:19
there is a way to at least get a feeling of your score during the test: the questions will get harder. In verbal the sentences will get a lot clumsier with many sentences shoved in between. Also the topics will get a lot more abstract and the answers to the questions will be formulated in much less obvious ways.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 1886 [0], given: 235

Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2010, 06:33
mainhoon wrote:
Yes I got the Manhattan SC book. I used to first guess SC answers based on what I felt right in my gut, now I see how wrong I was! Continuing on the topic of scores, there is then no concept of a scaled score or raw score for that matter? The tool you have is quite nice, but really one has to take a CAT to get the score then, paper based is out?

I was getting a lot of questions wrong in Verbal - 10 or so each time, and I thought the idea is to limit it to 4-5, but that strategy I guess did not work as I think I was still getting the hard ones wrong... What are the truly CAT exams out there I can try? I already took the GMATPrep test 1 and I got a 720 in it, but I score consistently below in the 660-690 range in other exams..

By the way another question, in the actual GMAT are questions grouped by category? I mean SCs together, DS together or are they all randomly scattered throughout?

Thanks for your help!

All the topics are intersperse throughout the test. Gmat randomly throws the questions according to your performance.

720 is a good score in gmatprep, and you should worry about scores in other exams.
Check http://gmatclub.com/gmat-score-calculator/ for better idea.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Gmat test review :
http://gmatclub.com/forum/670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Kudos [?]: 1886 [0], given: 235

Re: GMAT scoring   [#permalink] 27 Jul 2010, 06:33

GMAT scoring

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HiLine

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap