Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:15 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: International Business, General Management
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [1]
Send PM
Re: GMAT Study Plan Advice [#permalink]
Kudos
cecilpaladin32 wrote:
@chromium73: Ah, thank you, that's very helpful. The fact that the "challenge questions" are separated at the end is enough for me. I intend to go through the book cover-to-cover, but will likely spend the bulk of my time on my weaker areas.

Good luck. I find it useful. Hopefully it will help change the ugly red and yellow highlights on my profile.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
Try to find the hardest quant questions that you can. I am in a similar situation. One of my friends recently scored a 730 and told me that the Manhattan series coupled with the official guides is good enough to get a person in the 680-700 range, but were not good sources for scoring over a 700. My friend's advice was to take as many CATs as possible from various sources, and then look at the 700+ rated difficulty questions from each of the CATs only. I have been fairly confident with my prep with these sources, but am worried that during the actual exam, I will see questions far more difficult than what I have seen in these places.

I think there is a place on this forum where a person isolated questions considered 700-800 to range in quant and uploaded a zip file containing these questions. I have not yet had the time to look at these, but it couldn't hurt to try. Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks, makes a lot of sense. I am capable of answering the 700+ quant questions, but have a tough time doing it in a reasonable amount of time. I end up blowing time on the early tough questions, and try to make up time by guessing on many of the later tough ones, to make sure I have time for the ones I know I can get right. Working in finance, I have no issue with numbers/math, but answering these 700+ questions in 2 minutes is difficult...
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Try the GMAT club tests (I don't mean to engage in a shameless self-promotion but that's why we created them) to help people at 45Q level to get to 50 and 51. You can find countless testimonials and reviews in the forum.

You can also pick a copy of the MGMAT Roadmap and MGMAT Advanced Quant - both are good and I have reviewed both (see my signature).

Finally, Total GMAT Math is good but it is really long and really intense (not sure if 35 days is enough)

Best Regards,
BB.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bb wrote:
Try the GMAT club tests (I don't mean to engage in a shameless self-promotion but that's why we created them) to help people at 45Q level to get to 50 and 51. You can find countless testimonials and reviews in the forum.

You can also pick a copy of the MGMAT Roadmap and MGMAT Advanced Quant - both are good and I have reviewed both (see my signature).

Finally, Total GMAT Math is good but it is really long and really intense (not sure if 35 days is enough)

Best Regards,
BB.

Thank you very much. I'll give them all a shot!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
I too suggest the GMAT club tests... the Roadmap book can help you with timing as well. However, the best way is to just practice practice practice until you begin to recognize patterns. When this happens you will begin to recognize them and become faster at solving within the time limit.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
@chromium73: It definitely doesn't hurt to try. You should be very proud of the fact that you already scored a 700, which is certainly nothing to sneeze at. Hopefully with a bit more focus on math, you can raise your math percentile to a place where you will crush the GMAT. Best of luck moving forward

@bb: How long would you suggest to dedicate to the Total GMAT Math book? If 35 days might not be enough for someone to go through the entire book comfortably, it must be quite time intensive/challenging!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 778 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
bb wrote:

Best Regards,
BB.

Do you think MGMAT Advanced Quant is better than Total GMAT Math?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bb wrote:

Best Regards,
BB.

Total GMAT Math is awesome. Thanks for the recc. It's definitely do-able in a couple of weeks, as I am just skipping the drill section and focusing on my weaker areas.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I noticed on his amazon review, bb mentioned 100 700 level GMAT questions are in the Total GMAT Math book. Can anyone enlighten me as to whether or not these questions are marked by difficulty/increase in difficulty throughout a particular section/the book at large? I'm on the fence as to whether I want to order the book or not. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
cecilpaladin32 wrote:
I noticed on his amazon review, bb mentioned 100 700 level GMAT questions are in the Total GMAT Math book. Can anyone enlighten me as to whether or not these questions are marked by difficulty/increase in difficulty throughout a particular section/the book at large? I'm on the fence as to whether I want to order the book or not. Thanks!

Not really. Each section, of which there are over 50, has both practice questions and "challenge" practice questions. The "challenge" questions are probably 650+ level questions, with some, but not all, being 700 level. I guess it really depends on the section (i.e., simplifying expressions v. combinatorics).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
@chromium73: Ah, thank you, that's very helpful. The fact that the "challenge questions" are separated at the end is enough for me. I intend to go through the book cover-to-cover, but will likely spend the bulk of my time on my weaker areas.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Good luck to you, as well. I hope that you can get into the schools you're aiming for. With the profile that you have, I'm sure that you have a great shot!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
That's a wonderful post and I was searching for something like this. Could you suggest some books which contain drills and problems in the range of 760 and above. And yes, I heard that Total GMAT Math is also not enough. U have to go through Extreme Maths Challenge (by the same Author). And do anybody of u have an idea about the EZ solutions..?
GMAT Club Bot