Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
WE:Account Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11667 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: GMAT Verbal Help [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi HC1993,

Approximately 1 month ago, you posted that you were planning to take the GMAT in November. Did you end up taking the Official GMAT as planned (and if you did, then how did you score?)?

Many GMATers find at least some aspect of the Verbal section to be challenging - so you are not alone. Thankfully, you do NOT need to be a 'fast' reader to score at a high level on the GMAT, but you do have to work at a reasonable pace, 'attack' each prompt that you face (re: actively read, look for patterns, etc.) and take a reasonable amount of notes. It's also important to note that pacing problems do NOT exist on their own - they're the results of OTHER problems. In simple terms, if "your way" of approaching the Verbal section is keeping you from hitting your Score Goal, then you cannot continue to work in that way.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far? What “brands” of CATs/mocks have you used?
3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
WE:Account Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
GMAT Verbal Help [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi HC1993,

Approximately 1 month ago, you posted that you were planning to take the GMAT in November. Did you end up taking the Official GMAT as planned (and if you did, then how did you score?)?

Many GMATers find at least some aspect of the Verbal section to be challenging - so you are not alone. Thankfully, you do NOT need to be a 'fast' reader to score at a high level on the GMAT, but you do have to work at a reasonable pace, 'attack' each prompt that you face (re: actively read, look for patterns, etc.) and take a reasonable amount of notes. It's also important to note that pacing problems do NOT exist on their own - they're the results of OTHER problems. In simple terms, if "your way" of approaching the Verbal section is keeping you from hitting your Score Goal, then you cannot continue to work in that way.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far? What “brands” of CATs/mocks have you used?
3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your response. I haven't given my GMAT yet but so far I have been given 3 Official mocks and I scored V20s in all 3 mocks. Also to answer your questions -

1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week? - I have been studying for GMAT consistently since last year. Currently on a sabbatical for a month to give my gmat.

2) What study materials have you used so far? What “brands” of CATs/mocks have you used? - I have used Official mocks, MGMAT, and experts global mocks. Used TTP for Quant and Egmat for verbal but practicing verbal questions only from OG.

3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)? - 640 (Q48, V28) , 640 (Q49, V27), 590 (Q49, V21) [These are scores from Official mocks]

4) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to? - I am planning to apply this year mostly by December.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11667 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi HC1993,

I've sent you a PM with some notes and additional questions.

Rich

e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30797 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
HC1993 - What are your scores in Cementing quizzes? Did you take them?

Quote:
I have used Official mocks, MGMAT, and experts global mocks. Used TTP for Quant and Egmat for verbal but practicing verbal questions only from OG.

Also, what are your concept and application file scores in SC and CR? Lastly, what kind of errors have you listed most frequently in your error log (which type)? Once we have that data, we can isolate the cause(s) and fix the same.

-Rajat
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi HC1993

Let me share my insights based on the information shared by you.

I see that you are focusing more on practicing questions, than on the process, which is not the right way to prepare for GMAT. GMAT is a test of application of concepts. So, before you start practicing questions, you should be conceptually clear and learn the right methodology. So, instead of directly practicing questions, make sure that you learn the right process to solve questions. Once you do that, you don't have to worry about the difficulty level of the question or the timing too for that matter since it can be managed.

As evident from your score breakup, you have a good command over Quant, just a bit more methodical application of concept would help you get a Q50. If you are struggling with any particular topic, you can share with me for help.

However, your Verbal score is an area of concern. You clearly need to work hard in case of Verbal and develop a solid understanding first by revisiting the concepts and then approach the problems using a systematic and logical method.

Verbal questions on GMAT are very tricky. Let me help you with the right way to approach your Verbal Prep.

How to Ace your Verbal Prep?

For GMAT Verbal, it is very important that you follow the right methodology and the logical approach. Your focus has to be on eliminating four incorrect choices rather than choosing the right one. The key is to develop a solid understanding of the concepts that are typically tested on the GMAT and master the process skills that are required to solve GMAT questions. Only then, you will be able to smartly avoid the traps set by the test makers.

Before you start learning, it's important to understand what is actually tested using the questions. Each module in Verbal (SC, CR and RC) has to be approached in a different way. For example, before you start learning the concepts of SC, you need to understand that SC questions on GMAT test your ability to convey the right meaning without any ambiguity. So, it's important to approach them from a meaning stand-point. You might have often come across answer choices which are both grammatically correct and convey a logical meaning but are indeed incorrect because they do not convey the intended meaning. So, the process to approach SC questions is to:
• Comprehend the original meaning of the sentence
• Identify errors if any (both grammatical and meaning wise)
• Eliminate answer choices which either are grammatically incorrect or do not convey the intended meaning

You can go through the link below to understand the process in a better way:

Once you start solving SC questions using a systematic approach as detailed above, you will be able to avoid taking too much time in SC questions as there will be no confusion in your mind regarding the approach. Also, improving in SC alone won’t fetch you the desired score. You need to prepare for RC and CR as well in a structured and efficient manner. You have to follow a methodical and systematic approach while solving the questions in order to work on your accuracy and increase your score. For example,
• In CR, you have to understand the argument, identify the premise and the conclusion and then pre-think the answer before looking at the solutions.
• In RC, you need to have the right reading strategies to understand the inferences which are not directly stated in the passage.

I’d recommend you to follow this order for the verbal part - SC->CR->RC. The reason for this is very specific. Each question type on the GMAT is testing a specific skill. SC tests your comprehension skills. CR tests comprehension & analytical skills. Finally, RC builds on the previous two skills and also tests your ability to be able to grasp the central point of the passage i.e. Your inferential skills. Thus, when you learn in this order, it's much more effective.

The importance of using a standard resource:

The only method to make sure that you invest your time, money and effort in an effective way is to use a standard resource which teaches you the concepts, strategies and also helps you work on your weaker areas. Studying using OG or a few random resources might help you to solve GMAT like questions but I’m afraid that they won’t be able to help you much from a strategy perspective.

I would suggest you to go for some standard course for your Verbal preparation at least which can help you prepare in a structured and efficient manner thereby increasing your productivity. It’s always better to spare some more time on your preparation until you are ready instead of missing out on your dream colleges/ b-schools in hurry.

You can check out how Heeral managed to improved her verbal score from V27 to V40 bringing it to a GMAT 720:

Feel free to reach out if you need any help with the study plan/strategy. Would be happy to help!
GMAT Club Bot