Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:57 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
You deserve a congrats for a prep score that high. Thats a (!@#(!#@# damn good prep score.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Wow, thats a good score for the first test. Keep it up haas!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 269 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
you are correct that there is +-30 point variation but still your score is good.

I would suggest that shoot for 750+ Q 50-51 and V 42-45.

Use divide and concur, find out your errors divide it in sub types-- for eg. in math not comfortable with rate/work problem or in SC idiom or comparison is issue than try to improve upon it.

More over work carefully on your timing so you can finish test, best luck with preparation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 497 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
From my experience, I think it's very important not to get too excited about PowerPrep scores. I took both of these tests and I don't think they are as hard as GMATPrep. Quant is really easy and Verbal is simply different and in addition contains many repeated questions (especially in CR). On the other hand the new format of RC is much easier for me, since I don't have to scroll down the screen.

You could maybe take the first GMATPrep test, which would give you much more precise information, but it's also important to save some tests for the end of your preparation.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the suggestions chiragr.

I will classify my errors and start focussing more on them. As for timing, even for practice questions I am using the excel worksheet timer just to get within the timing range.

chiragr wrote:
you are correct that there is +-30 point variation but still your score is good.

I would suggest that shoot for 750+ Q 50-51 and V 42-45.

Use divide and concur, find out your errors divide it in sub types-- for eg. in math not comfortable with rate/work problem or in SC idiom or comparison is issue than try to improve upon it.

More over work carefully on your timing so you can finish test, best luck with preparation.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thats an interesting point. I didn't realize that GMATPrep and PowerPrep have different difficulty levels.

When you say quant is easy you mean relatively GMATPrep is much tougher?

And I do agree, I shouldn't be too excited about a good practice score. :-) And actually am I not, just pleased that things aren't as bad as they could be. I know I have a lot of work ahead of me, especially in SC and Quant where I haven't seen the most difficult questions at all.

Will take a GMATPrep in a couple of weeks (first week of Sept) and see how that goes.

Thanks for your input.

likar wrote:
From my experience, I think it's very important not to get too excited about PowerPrep scores. I took both of these tests and I don't think they are as hard as GMATPrep. Quant is really easy and Verbal is simply different and in addition contains many repeated questions (especially in CR). On the other hand the new format of RC is much easier for me, since I don't have to scroll down the screen.

You could maybe take the first GMATPrep test, which would give you much more precise information, but it's also important to save some tests for the end of your preparation.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think he means that PP quant is easier than actual gmat; while Gmatprep quant is roughly equivalent to the actual gmat.

I know a lot of member-posts before on this and other forums agreed with this statement.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Its good to know that... I didn't know how the PP and GMATPrep compare relatively.

I will know my trend better when I take some other test for the next two weeks and then work on the GMATPrep.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 497 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yes, that's exactly what I mean. Most people think that PowerPrep Quant is easy.

GMATPrep should be very similar to the real exam (in both, difficulty and concepts). GMATPrep Quant has more DS questions and more questions on number properties. I have also noticed that you can make more mistakes in GMATPrep Quant and still get a high score (48+), so I'm assuming that the scoring algorithm has probably changed as well.

However, scores from PowerPrep and GMATPrep don't differ that much. In my case, PowerPrep scores are approximately 20-40 points higher than GMATPrep scores. That's why I would say that PowerPrep is the second best indicator of your performance.

Good luck! :wink:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
hi guys!! [#permalink]
well i think the new software is quite different from the earlier version that was sent by the ETS..

The new GMATPrep software is not only tough but it is actually harder as compared to the actual test... Although some people say that questions based on Permutation-Combinations are the ones which come in first 5 questions.. which were seen previosly by high scorers only...

i m not sure but i would like to hear from members who have taken the test in recent months...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: hi guys!! [#permalink]
deepak232 wrote:
well i think the new software is quite different from the earlier version that was sent by the ETS..

The new GMATPrep software is not only tough but it is actually harder as compared to the actual test... Although some people say that questions based on Permutation-Combinations are the ones which come in first 5 questions.. which were seen previosly by high scorers only...

i m not sure but i would like to hear from members who have taken the test in recent months...

The correct phrase is not only .... but also. The use of "not only... but is" is both, unidiomatic and awkward.

Sorry, could not resist! Gotta love some OG explanations ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: hi guys!! [#permalink]
walletless wrote:
deepak232 wrote:

The correct phrase is not only .... but also. The use of "not only... but is" is both, unidiomatic and awkward.

Sorry, could not resist! Gotta love some OG explanations ;)

thnx a lot for your "sentence correction" exercise....
Director
Director
Send PM
GMATPrep Test1 Results... [#permalink]
Took the first GMATPrep results today morning with AWA.
The results echoed the previous postings as a lot of people have said : GMATPrep quant is definately more tougher. However, I had a bad timing issue, had to guess on the last 8!!!! Verbal was ok... but still had a timing issue... last two were guessed.

I need to work on my timing : BIG TIME...

Results:
Q44 (73%) ..this sucked!
V38 (85%)

Overall : 670 (89%).

Given the scores, I think I now know the things that I must work on.

Thanks for all the comments on this topic.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: GMATPrep Test1 Results... [#permalink]
haas_mba07 wrote:
Q44 (73%) ..this sucked!
V38 (85%)

Hey, dont say a 44 sucks! I got a 45 :(

Good score - keep in mind, everyone I know does worse on their second exam --- too much in your head, too many strategies, a lot of people find their timing goes off on the second exam.
Director
Director
Send PM
Rhyme,
Can't apologize enough to you and everyone else for unknowingly implying anything.. I didn't imply that 44 or for that matter any other score was bad.. it was more a reflection on my disappointment at my timing problems.

Thanks/

rhyme wrote:
haas_mba07 wrote:
Q44 (73%) ..this sucked!
V38 (85%)

Hey, dont say a 44 sucks! I got a 45 :(

Good score - keep in mind, everyone I know does worse on their second exam --- too much in your head, too many strategies, a lot of people find their timing goes off on the second exam.
GMAT Club Bot