Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanks aviroop and lanter1.

I guess my problem is that I'm a candidate that *wants* to get into entrepreneurship, but have never done it before, so I don't really know what I want to "change" out there or what startup I want to make to "change the world", so to speak. I can speak about my experiences and how it logically comes together for an entrepreneur, but at this point I'm pretty clueless about what out there needs a startup or business plan to fill.

It might be something I'll just need to learn as I talk to the Haas Entrepreneur clubs and see what they do, how they brainstorm, and things like that. Maybe I'll leave a paragraph for it in my essays to be filled out later... I have 2.5 months... =)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
thanks aviroop and lanter1.

I guess my problem is that I'm a candidate that *wants* to get into entrepreneurship, but have never done it before, so I don't really know what I want to "change" out there or what startup I want to make to "change the world", so to speak. I can speak about my experiences and how it logically comes together for an entrepreneur, but at this point I'm pretty clueless about what out there needs a startup or business plan to fill.

It might be something I'll just need to learn as I talk to the Haas Entrepreneur clubs and see what they do, how they brainstorm, and things like that. Maybe I'll leave a paragraph for it in my essays to be filled out later... I have 2.5 months... =)

Would that be a risk? Because an entrepreneur doesn't really need an MBA? Entrepreneurs learn what they need to learn as and when it comes along... I've always wondered about why going to b/school would make somebody an entrepreneur after that. I know it would give you the whole range of skills, but you can learn all that on your own?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
good question adc. I believe that an entrepreneur can learn how to be an entrepreneur by himself, but it'll take longer, require you to have the right connections, and you won't really learn the comprehensive set of skills, just the ones you have to use to "survive".

There is a reason why so many schools these days (Chicago, Haas, Stanford, Andersen, Sloan, Columbia) tout their entrepreneur center and try to attract people to get the entrepreneur certificates. It sounds paradoxical, but I think the MBA version of "entrepreneur" is for people who either have done the stuff but want to learn the foundation later on, or people who want to get into entrepreneurship but didn't have the connections to do so.

Just my thoughts...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
good question adc. I believe that an entrepreneur can learn how to be an entrepreneur by himself, but it'll take longer, require you to have the right connections, and you won't really learn the comprehensive set of skills, just the ones you have to use to "survive".

There is a reason why so many schools these days (Chicago, Haas, Stanford, Andersen, Sloan, Columbia) tout their entrepreneur center and try to attract people to get the entrepreneur certificates. It sounds paradoxical, but I think the MBA version of "entrepreneur" is for people who either have done the stuff but want to learn the foundation later on, or people who want to get into entrepreneurship but didn't have the connections to do so.

Just my thoughts...

I notice though, that quite a number of successful entrepreneurs seem to have technical skills. Those that only have general skills seem to be far and few...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think in some ways though, getting an MBA could actually discourage someone from becoming an entrepreneur, at least in the short term. I know that I would have a hard time being without a steady pay check if I were to end up with 100k in debt out of school.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
adc_away wrote:
I've always wondered about why going to b/school would make somebody an entrepreneur after that. I know it would give you the whole range of skills, but you can learn all that on your own?

Maybe kryzak is hoping that by going to Stanford, he can ensure that he will meet other "entrepreneurial" people who are in similar situation as his (I am talking about you, mNeo :-D ).

On a serious note, although I agree that it's tough to explain why someone would need an MBA for entrepreneurship and waste two years that she could spend on her entrepreneurial endeavors. But there are a lot of things that one can get from an MBA (There must be a reason why almost every schools claims to be and wants to be good at Entrepreneurship). Thinking strategically, evaluating markets and opportunities, grabbing opportunities at the right moment, finding funding, and finding right people around you who think about similar stuff - all these things (And more) can get a lot of help from MBA schools.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
personally I think the network is the #1 reason. If you need a good buddy to start something, who else better than your entrepreneur class mate from Stanford (you and me, mNeo! :)) to help you out?

Business Foundation is the #2 reason. Yes you can go out and start a company with a great idea, but without foundation, it's just a great idea with no legs. No good marketing, no good financials, no good business plan to success... just "hoping" some rich company like Google will come and buy you up... not the best business model for success.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I just reworked my goals essay and I feel like a rock star... :P

Yes, while it does help to have the network and such, and that schools place an emphasis on entrepreneurship; i don't really think that you can make somebody an entrepreneur in the sense that you can give him all the skills, but at the end of the day, it's up to him to take the risk and start something new. but then again, maybe we're looking at entrepreneurship = starting your own business, where as there's entrepreneurship in other ways, like implementing a new process, etc.

I'm... not really a natural entrepreneur. :(
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
I agree, you can't *make* someone an entrepreneur by just giving them a b-school education. You still have to take the risk.

And also, after talking to an entrepreneur, I learned that entrepreneurship is not about startups, but about being innovative and changing things for the better and filling a hole in business. You can be an "entrepreneur" in a large company or a startup.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
HBS specifically asks for the "vision statement" in one of the essays. So I kinda forced to do that. Also, I agree that it's always better to have a goal and a plan on how to achieve it, than just a goal.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
I still see the "plan to achieve your goal" as slightly different from the "vision statement". I have a plan to achieve my goal, but I don't know *what* I want to change in this world or what market "hole" I want to plug with my entrepreneur studies. I just want the foundations of business, how to lead, and how to get connections with VCs and things like that, and then seize opportunities as they come up. I wonder if that's too "vague" for the essays.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Schools:MIT Sloan
 Q50  V37
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kryzak, think of 'vision' as the 'what' of your long term career goal and the path to get there as the 'how'

U can explicate on the 'what' pretty easily. Say my long term ambition is to become a vegetable vendor - the 'what' comprises your deliverables as you chalk out as a vegetable vendor.

What will I do as a vegetable vendor ? <= vision

expand into the wholesale segment
establish tie ups with major suppliers
step into the manufacturing segment
and .. never having to 'buy' my own vegetables :)

The 'how' I will become a vegetable vendor will answer the usual - short term goal / why mba / why this school n all that blah

get the drift ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media &amp; Entertainment
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
thank you grad_mba... that was very insightful! :) I get what you're saying, and now that I understand it a bit, I'll try to figure out how to write about the 'what' in my goals. That is something I don't have a specific answer for yet just because I don't know enough about entrepreneurs. I guess that's how research and talking to entrepreneurs will help! :)
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]