GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2018, 18:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Algebra Webinar

December 09, 2018

December 09, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this Free Algebra Webinar and learn how to master Inequalities and Absolute Value problems on GMAT.
  • Free lesson on number properties

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

Got a 680 (again) ...How to improve mental stamina?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: IMD Jan'18
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GPA: 4
Got a 680 (again) ...How to improve mental stamina?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 02:35
Hi all,

Yesterday I retook my gmat after getting a 680 on the first attemp (Q46 , V38 )...I studied an extra 2 months but I got the exact same result and partial scores!
I have ordered ERS for both, and I think I have two main problems:

- time management both in Quant and Verbal (I am too slow in arithmetic..plus I keep making silly mistakes)
- I ran out of mental energy at some point during the exam...the third sets of questions in Verbal is always where things start to go wrong....my brain just blacks out for a few minutes every time!

What annoys me the most is not much the Quant score (even though I usually scored 47/49 on all my Prep tests) , but the Verbal...because in all my prep tests from 1 to 6 I never took less than 40! with an average of 44/45....so I don't understand why I always score so much worse in the real exam, which I feel in any case is definitely more difficult than the OG tests...

Any suggestions on how to improve my Verbal by increasing at the same time mental stamina?
I attach my ERS if someone wants to have a look at them
Many thanks to all!

Teo
Attachments

ML__ESR_March.pdf [422.78 KiB]
Downloaded 21 times

To download please login or register as a user

ML_January_ESR.pdf [423.56 KiB]
Downloaded 15 times

To download please login or register as a user

examPAL Representative
B
Re: Got a 680 (again) ...How to improve mental stamina?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 02:55
Hi,

There's no one simple answer for this - we have a full Verbal package for this...
Here's the thing about the Verbal: what non native speakers usually do wrong is read all the answers to all questions and expect the correct answer to "show itself". This is wrong because this habit leads to both wasting time and becoming convinced that a wrong answer is correct. Only about a third of the questions require that we turn to the answers, while in the others we can tell the correct answer just by reading the question, either because there's enough information given to predict what the correct answer will look like or because we can apply logic and find the correct answer.
The best way for you to improve quickly is to use the quizzes and the Official Guide to GMAT to practice reading the question and thinking of the answer without looking at the answers. Next, research the answers and ask yourself not only why the correct answer is correct, but also what makes each of the wrong answers incorrect. This is the best practice that you can get in making the most out of your time in the test.

Simon
Instructor at examPAL
Signup for a free GMAT course

Manhattan Prep Instructor
G
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Got a 680 (again) ...How to improve mental stamina?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2018, 12:19
teone83 wrote:
Hi all,

Yesterday I retook my gmat after getting a 680 on the first attemp (Q46 , V38 )...I studied an extra 2 months but I got the exact same result and partial scores!
I have ordered ERS for both, and I think I have two main problems:

- time management both in Quant and Verbal (I am too slow in arithmetic..plus I keep making silly mistakes)
- I ran out of mental energy at some point during the exam...the third sets of questions in Verbal is always where things start to go wrong....my brain just blacks out for a few minutes every time!

What annoys me the most is not much the Quant score (even though I usually scored 47/49 on all my Prep tests) , but the Verbal...because in all my prep tests from 1 to 6 I never took less than 40! with an average of 44/45....so I don't understand why I always score so much worse in the real exam, which I feel in any case is definitely more difficult than the OG tests...

Any suggestions on how to improve my Verbal by increasing at the same time mental stamina?
I attach my ERS if someone wants to have a look at them
Many thanks to all!

Teo

Why do you think mental energy was a problem on the real exam, but not on your practice tests? When you did the practice tests, were you doing anything different that wasn't allowed on test day (eating/drinking during the test, taking extra breaks or longer breaks, getting up and moving around, etc?)

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep | Seattle and Online

My latest GMAT blog posts | Suggestions for blog articles are always welcome!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Got a 680 (again) ...How to improve mental stamina? &nbs [#permalink] 08 Mar 2018, 12:19

Got a 680 (again) ...How to improve mental stamina?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap