Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 05:06 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [12]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 441 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 441 [1]
Send PM
Government efforts to curb the poaching of elephants. [#permalink]
Kudos
anshsaurabh wrote:
carouselambra wrote:
IMO A

Government efforts to curb the poaching of elephants primarily for their ivory tusks was a success in 2005. If the efforts had not been successful, the price of domestically produced ivory goods would not have increased significantly in 2005, since the producers of ivory products do not mind buying ivory from any and all available sources within the country.

The argument in the passage would be most seriously weakens if it were true that

Cause : Govt. efforts to curb poaching
Effect : Success - price of domestically produced ivory goods increased

Carefully note the assumptions/implicit facts :
1. Prices were low earlier
2. #1 might have been the result of widely available ivory goods (as stated)
3. People selling ivory were actually affected, i.e. they did not find an alternative to poach and yet sell the ivory elsewhere

To weaken :
1. Find an answer inline with the pre-thinking done above
2. For cause and effect questions (weaken), prove the involvement of a third factor
3. Prove that the effect did not actually happen

a) Poachers started getting a significantly better bargain abroad for their ivory in and around 2005.
Correct- In line with highlighted thoughts.

b) The demand for ivory products, primarily decorative items, suddenly shot up in 2005 following a countrywide fashion trend.
Not a part of the passage as a whole

c) In 2005, independent poachers joined forces to form substantially bigger groups which could face increased government vigilance.
Out of scope/not related to the conclusion/does not weaken

d) In 2005, poachers identified an unique and untraceable technique of hunting elephants
Interesting but we do not know whether this was a success. Nothing mentioned around the sale of ivory products.

e) The producers of ivory products are always ready to pay exorbitant prices for raw ivory since they know that they can recover their money
Acceptable fact but what if the raw ivory was not available at all?
Also, this is unrelated to the conclusion.

Can you please explain why you eliminated option B ?
Option B talks about the increased demand for IVORY PRODUCTS, PRIMARILY DECORATIVE ITEMS, and the argument mentions that the price of DOMESTICALLY PRODUCED IVORY PRODUCTS increased significantly. Aren't the two same ?
Option B also weakens the argument by giving an alternate reason for the SIGNIFICANT price increase. Also, since DECORATIVE ITEMS are not part of the stimulus doesn't mean it cannot be a correct answer choice, according to CR BIBLE book.
I am still confused b/w A & B.

Hi anshsaurabh

Let's go through option B.
I am marking some keywords in the question stem first.

Government efforts to curb the poaching of elephants primarily for their ivory tusks was a success in 2005. If the efforts had not been successful, the price of domestically produced ivory goods would not have increased significantly in 2005, since the producers of ivory products do not mind buying ivory from any and all available sources within the country.

Now, coming to your thoughts.

Option B talks about the increased demand for IVORY PRODUCTS, PRIMARILY DECORATIVE ITEMS, and the argument mentions that the price of DOMESTICALLY PRODUCED IVORY PRODUCTS increased significantly. Aren't the two same ?

No, they are not the same.
Example : I might produce ivory domestically but choose not to display. It is our assumption/imagination that ivory products are used for decoration.
But they are not just limited to decoration per se. They can be used for other purpose not mentioned in the passage.

Option B also weakens the argument by giving an alternate reason for the SIGNIFICANT price increase. Also, since DECORATIVE ITEMS are not part of the stimulus doesn't mean it cannot be a correct answer choice

The biggest flaw in the thought process here is that option (B) is NOT weakening the conclusion. I can delve into the details but would really appreciate if you share the conclusion with me and then we can take this further :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 163
Send PM
Re: Government efforts to curb the poaching of elephants. [#permalink]
Kudos
carouselambra

Answer choice B is very complex since it weakens (just a little bit) but it also doesn't weaken the conclusion.
HOW IT WEAKENS - it provides an alternate cause for the increase in the price of one type of ivory products, i.e decorative items.
HOW IT DOES NOT WEAKEN - even if there is an increase in demand for decorative ivory products, it doesn't mean that the government's efforts to curb poaching within the country weren't successful as poachers could have got a better deal abroad as in answer choice A.

Am i right here ?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 441 [0]
Send PM
anshsaurabh wrote:
carouselambra

Answer choice B is very complex since it weakens (just a little bit) but it also doesn't weaken the conclusion.
HOW IT WEAKENS - it provides an alternate cause for the increase in the price of one type of ivory products, i.e decorative items.
HOW IT DOES NOT WEAKEN - even if there is an increase in demand for decorative ivory products, it doesn't mean that the government's efforts to curb poaching within the country weren't successful as poachers could have got a better deal abroad as in answer choice A.

Am i right here ?

Hi anshsaurabh

Two things :
1. "it provides an alternate cause for the increase in the price of one type of ivory products, i.e decorative items."
Yes it provides an alternate cause but as you have already highlighted, the price of ÖNE type of ivory product shot up,i.e. decorative item.
Moreover, it is NOT mentioned who the buyers are. Buyers can be you,me or anyone under the sun. The passage is primarily talking about the producers of ivory here.

2. " even if there is an increase in demand for decorative ivory products, it doesn't mean that the government's efforts to curb poaching within the country weren't successful as poachers could have got a better deal abroad as in answer choice"
Option A simply tells you what you described in your thought #2 hence (A) is the right answer.
First of all, your statement is once again limited to the decorative products - something which is too narrow for the passage as we are dealing with ivory products here. Even if you choose to ignore this, let's drill down your argument to see the other side of the argument :

Agree, the poachers MIGHT get a better deal abroad but think, where is the ivory coming from? It is obviously not possible that poachers will import ivory only to export it at a "better deal." It is implicit that export will be done PROVIDED the raw materials are available. Owing to the poaching, the ivory products were never procured.

Let me know if this is still not clear. Will try to explain with an alternate example.

Cheers!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
GMATNinja - Curious if you could give analysis on B ? i chose B because it showed

-- actually price increase DID take place but because of demand rise.

So we cant conclude anything about poaching efforts by the govt

That weakens the argument i thought

On the other hand - A i thought was irrelevant because the argument in the passage is talking about increased domestic prices. Option A seems to be talking about international prices.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts