Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Send PM
Re: Gray marketing, the selling of trademarked products through [#permalink]
Anyone else want to give this one a shot?.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Send PM
prep_gmat wrote:

Oh sure, I want to. Please don't post the OAs as yet. I have to go somewhere, but would be back in a couple of hours. Please post the OAs after a couple of hours.

Thanks.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Schools:Tuck'08
Send PM
1.A
2.D
3.B
4.A
5.B
6.C
7.E

What's OA ? :roll:
Current Student
Send PM
kapslock wrote:
prep_gmat wrote:

Oh sure, I want to. Please don't post the OAs as yet. I have to go somewhere, but would be back in a couple of hours. Please post the OAs after a couple of hours.

Thanks.

Ok, wait for kapslock before posting the OA :wink:
but i am curious :P
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for waiting for me !!

Here're my answers and the explanation follows.
1 A
2 D
3 B
4 A
5 B
6 C
7 E

It was a tough one, took me a greater part of 5 minutes. Real bad one. Writing explanations has taken over half an hour :)

1. (A). Discussion clearly was on the losses to trademark owners (begining of para 2) and the legal ways to battle it. B has a wrong second half. C is not mentioned in the paragraphs. D is out of scope. No "case outcomes" have been discussed. E is clearly wrong (the laws have failed to curb the gray markets, not increased - besides one of the law is capable of controlling them).

2. (D) A is wrong (motives are not discussed). B is wrong because channel flow diversion iis the generic term for both market in market and parallel importation, C is not true because the three theories have been discussed only for parallel importation cases and not general gray markets. D is a generic statement, and is true. (though the word "controversy is not used, it does describe conflicting viewpoints over gray market practices). E is wrong because no economic factors have been discussed.

3. (B). Comes directly from the statement "Equally important, authorized distributors may cease to promote the product if it becomes available for much lower prices through unauthorized channels"

4. (A). This is because (a) Territorial and exhaustion differ only in the country in which the product is registered, and (b) Exhaustion rules out rights after the sale from trademark holder to distributer, while territorial makes no distinction. Since both these aspects are covered in (A) hence this option.

5. (B) Seemingly pretty straightforward. A, C, D and E are all not mentioned in the passage.

6. (C). Since there's no enthusians or a lot of emotion involved, options B and D can be ruled out. Since there's no sarcasm or cynicism in the passage, option E is out too. Since the author does have hope that one law does protect gray marketing, resigned tolerance is also ruled out.

7. (E). This is because A is almost unfavorable to authorized distribution, B makes no difference to avoiding gray market (non-promotion is a symptom of gray market, not a cause - so tackling a symptom doesn't remove gray marketing), C makes no difference at all, D, like B is an effect of gray markets - auth dealers would refuse to promote or post sale serve the customers if the gray markets continue to eat into their profits - taking them into the manufacturer's prerogative is almost like opposing the auth distributers themselves. E almost ensures that the consumers would not buy the gray market products, knowing they'd not get "Extended product" support.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Send PM
1 B
2 D
3 B
4 C
5 B
6 A
7 A
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 198 [0]
Send PM
ADBAECC
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Alright, since there have been no posts on this for a while now, maybe we can go ahead with the OA?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Send PM
ADBAECC

5th question was a bit tricky for me. One of the choices, B, makes a reasonable generic statement on what goodwill is, but in the passage the author seems to calls out goodwill to be the aspect of losing favor with customers if there was no service even if the prices were low. So, picking the specific option here.

"...since such practices clearly jeopardize the goodwill established by trademark owners: consumers who purchase trademarked goods in the gray market do not get the same “extended product,â€
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks for Participating...

OA: ADBABCC
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 198 [0]
Send PM
jpv wrote:
Thanks for Participating...

OA: ADBABCC

hmm....# 5 was difficult....I was torn bet B and E....author seems to be saying that the customer suffers becose of no service, but we still can't assume that customer is not willing to pay less as discussed in "E", but again "B" says that most harm is to the manufacturers but I gathered that the author seems to be saying that the loser in this deal is the customer.
Current Student
Send PM
I like this question, nobody got everything right :-D
But everobdy was very close... :roll:

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Reading Comprehension (RC) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts