Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:32 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: Guidance to prepare for second GMAT trial [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Amiraa,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your recent CAT score results - along with your Official GMAT Score - show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 560 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. You may have developed some 'bad habits' during your prior studies that will take time to 'fix' (and replace with new 'good habits'). Your ability to change how you 'see' (and respond to) the overall Exam will be key to hitting your Score Goal. You have plenty of time before the Round 1 and Round 2 application deadlines though - which is good.

Given everything that you've described, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat 3-Month Study Plan to be quite helpful. We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an Account.

If you have any additional questions, then just let me know.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich,

Thank you for your advice. I have been looking into the EMPOWERGmat program & wanted to get your feedback regarding following the 2 month study plan instead. My logic is that in the event of any work/personal interruptions to my study schedule, my studying may stretch out to 2.5 months. On the other hand, I would be really stressed if my studying stretched to 3.5-4 months if I choose to adopt the 3 month plan.

I could definitely make a better decision if you could let me know of the following;

1. What is the difference between the 2 & 3 month study plans? Do they both consist of the same material to be covered but only compressed for the 2 month plan?
2. Is the 2 month plan in any way more intense? More hours must be put in per week?

With your expert advice, please let me know if I would be able to hit 700 using the 2 month EMPOWERGmat study plan.

Thank you!
Amira
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Amiraa,

I understand your concerns, but there isn't really a way to 'rush' the improvement process. Plenty of Test Takers rush through the process of answering lots of practice questions though - and end up NOT improving as much as they could have. The type of score improvement that you're after requires skills that take time to develop - and if you want to consistently score at that higher level, then you can't expect to try to 'cram' your studies (roughly 90% of Test Takers never score that high, regardless of how long they study - so you don't want to purposely make the process more difficult by limiting the amount of time that you want to study). The full 2-Month Study Plan essentially compresses the 3-Month schedule into that shorter timeframe; while some of our Clients have made great strides in shorter timeframes, the historical data shows the potential for much bigger gains with the 3-Month schedule.

No one here knows what you are capable of (as far as your 'peak' GMAT Score is concerned) so you might be able to hit your Goal in 2 months. You can certainly start off with that Plan - and switch over to the 3-Month plan if needed.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich,

So I got really busy with work since taking my GMAT on May 7th, 2018. I was not able to restart my preparation at all. I wanted to touch base with you as I'm feeling a lack of motivation & a new wave of stress coming my way that I haven't resumed my studies yet. I also just learned that I have a business trip Aug 22 - Sep 2. I feel like a disruption so late in my preparation cannot be good. So ideally, I would prefer to take the exam right before Aug 22.

Do you still think I should adopt the EMPOWERGmat 3 month study plan? Would a goal of at least 680 be achievable by mid August? Given I put in 2 hours every weekday & 4-5 hours on the weekend.

Is there any other approach you would recommend?

Thank you!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Amiraa,

A planned Test Date right before August 22nd would give you over 2.5 months of potential study time (assuming that there were no big 'disruptions' during that time) - so you could potentially improve a great deal. From your last post, I think you're asking if there is some way to work through a 'checklist' to guarantee a score of 680+. Unfortunately, the GMAT doesn't really work that way. 85% of Test Takers never score that high; in addition, having the ability to hit that Score doesn't necessarily mean that you will (you also have to train for all of the various aspects of Test Day - not just the Test content).

Regardless of how you choose to approach this next phase of your studies, we won't know how well you're actually progressing until you get back into 'study mode', put in the necessary training time to learn and practice the proper Tactics and then take your next practice CAT (in a realistic fashion that matches up with what you'll face on Test Day). This is all meant to say that you cannot afford to procrastinate any longer if you want to hit your goal in the timeframe that you've described - so you have to commit to a plan and get back to work.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot