Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 10:41 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 10:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Has GMAT changed the verbal and quant score mapping for final score? [#permalink]
saumverm wrote:
Hello Engr2012,

I saw his printed mark sheet (provided by the test center) and it was Q49 and V48 and that's exactly why I was so shocked. I'm hoping to see if there are any more members who took it yesterday and got similar scores.

Thanks

That is strange. Something that I have not seen happening in the last 2 years atleast. Do you mind asking your friend to post a screenshot of the unofficial score printout here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Re: Has GMAT changed the verbal and quant score mapping for final score? [#permalink]
Same here. Either it is mistake in their software or may be printer bowled this googly. I had a score of 720 with Q50, V38. So it has to be V38. There is no chance that he might have got V48 with a score of 710. He should complain that if this is the case and he should hope that his split of Q49, V48 is correct rather than the score of 710 :D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Saumya,

It sounds like you're using what is likely a 'typo' on someone else's UNOFFICIAL Score Report to explain why your score dropped on Test Day. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day.

If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the question BEFORE you took the CAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72924 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
That does sound pretty unusual to have that distribution of raw scores and the final score of 710. I would be very curious to see a copy of that unofficial score report and then would wait for the official one.

I have not heard of a typo on an unofficial score report however, not in the last 10 years so I'm very curious about this case. Thank you for bringing it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk App
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you everyone for the quick replies. To clarify a few points that I think i missed:

1. The Q49, V48 with 710 was for a gentleman who was seated next to me in the exam. After completion we were both dejected so I thought i'd ask him his score. Now, I do remember clearly seeing his breakup but, now that I've read all your responses i'm doubtful if i saw it correctly (i was pretty sad with my score so may be...just maybe i read 38 as 48). The aforementioned person wasn't my friend, just a stranger so there is no way i can verify if what i saw was correct.
2. I will try to call up the center and see if they can give me his contact number, but I'm not very hopeful about it.
3. Coming to my practice and final score:

a. I always gave the full length tests in a single sitting and trying to come as close to actual exam conditions as possible. (Alone in my room, without any disturbances max 8 minute breaks).
b. I had taken the entire 5 tests of Kaplan and 1 gmat prep test before in January, so i reset them before attempting them again. Some questions were as expected repeated and some i knew how to solve. Even in the first attempts my quant score was never below 49. Initially i was scoring exactly 28 in verbal but after going through e-gmat CR course i was getting around 33-35 in verbal.
c. In the practice tests, I generally skipped awa but always attempted IR.
d. I had given the 2 free tests available in this forum and my score in quant was 70% approx.
e. Apart from the 1st question in the actual test, which completely bowled me over (i eventually guessed it and moved ahead), all the other questions weren't very difficult. They all tested basic concepts and in fact I found them easier than the kind of questions i'd seen in Kaplan.
f. Verbal was similar to what I'd seen in Gmat prep/Kaplan and so i wasn't surprised with a 33. (I was aiming for 35 as RC isn't one of my strengths).

I'm planning to give the test again in a months time and would appreciate if i can get some guidance about how to improve my quant by 7-8 points and verbal by another 5-6.

Thank you
Saumya
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Saumya,

The extra information that you've provided is quite useful, as it helps to define what went wrong on Test Day. In real basic terms, you took your CATs in such a way that you were NOT properly training to face the Official GMAT - so you were not ready to face it on Test Day (not either time).

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your scores can become - and that's what happened here. By retaking CATs that you've already taken, skipping sections, taking the CATs at home, etc., you weren't properly training for the FULL GMAT 'experience.'

Thankfully, this is a relatively easy set of problems to fix. The big question now is "how long will it take you to properly get 'used to' taking the full GMAT in a realistic way?" You'll certainly need a new set of practice CATs to work with and you have to put in the necessary time to train your brain (and body) for the FULL GMAT. You might also need to invest in some new GMAT training materials. Based on everything that you've described, you'll likely need another 1-2 months of consistent, guided study to hit your goal scores.

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Saumya,

The extra information that you've provided is quite useful, as it helps to define what went wrong on Test Day. In real basic terms, you took your CATs in such a way that you were NOT properly training to face the Official GMAT - so you were not ready to face it on Test Day (not either time).

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your scores can become - and that's what happened here. By retaking CATs that you've already taken, skipping sections, taking the CATs at home, etc., you weren't properly training for the FULL GMAT 'experience.'

Thankfully, this is a relatively easy set of problems to fix. The big question now is "how long will it take you to properly get 'used to' taking the full GMAT in a realistic way?" You'll certainly need a new set of practice CATs to work with and you have to put in the necessary time to train your brain (and body) for the FULL GMAT. You might also need to invest in some new GMAT training materials. Based on everything that you've described, you'll likely need another 1-2 months of consistent, guided study to hit your goal scores.

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Hi Rich

First of all sorry for the late reply, I was a little busy with work in office.
I'm actually planning to apply for the 2017 batch for 1 year MBA to ISB and the IIMs. I'm finding it tough to practice the concepts as the question banks that i've accumulated from posts here consists of mostly 700-800 level questions. I need questions that focus on 600-700 in quant and similarly in verbal.

Thanks
Saumya
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Saumya,

Given your application timeline/plans, you still have plenty of time to study and improve. Using your Official Scores as a gauge, and considering your goal scores, you don't really need to be doing lots of practice problems right now - you need to learn/practice the proper Tactics and work through as many practice questions as is necessary to hone those Tactical skills.

1) How much study time do you think you can commit during a typical week?
2) Can you study throughout the week or do you 'cram' most of your studying into the weekends?

Rich
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37321 posts