Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:52 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619117 [7]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [1]
Given Kudos: 185
GPA: 4
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [1]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1553 [1]
Given Kudos: 132
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Re: Having seen first-hand this recipe for disaster, Roberta Henson wished [#permalink]
Kudos
A. Roberta Henson wished to make clear that free trade is unfair and that poor nations should be liberated from the one-size-fits-all trading model,
modifier is correctly modifying--Robert Hension
should be --is correct (correct)

B. Roberta Henson wished to make clear that free trade is unfair and that poor nations should being liberated from the one-size-fits-all trading model,
---use of being is incorrect here (incorrect)

C. free trade was called unfair by Roberta Henson, who wished to make clear that poor nations should be liberated from the one-size-fits-all trading model,
---modifier is incorrectly modifying free trade ( how can the free trade see the disaster)--(incorrect)

D. free trade was called unfair by Roberta Henson, who wished to make clear that poor nations should being liberated from the one-size-fits-all trading model,
same as (C) (incorrect)

E. free trade was called unfair by Roberta Henson, who wished to clarify that poor nations should be liberated from the one-size-fits-all trading model,
same as (C) (incorrect)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Schools: ISB '21
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
Send PM
Re: Having seen first-hand this recipe for disaster, Roberta Henson wished [#permalink]
Imo A is the answer,
Subject should be a person not free trade

Being is wrong in B

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Roberta Henson saw first-hand free trade as a recipe for disaster. Roberta Henson "wished" ... either implies she did something and it is being reported or interpreted or she wishes to do something, in which case "wish" would be more appropriate than "wishes". Looking through the answer choices, "wished" runs through so, one can assume that the action has already taken place and it is being reported. Since I am not completely sure, there is another filter in the sentence "to make clear" vs "to clarify". "to clarify" sure is more precise than "to make clear". Hence, I eliminate A.

B and D are eliminated because of the awkward usage of "should being liberated".

C also uses "to make clear" and that is the only difference between C and E.

I opted for E as the answer because it makes sense to say that free trade was called unfair by Roberta Henson in a form of reported speech, in which case the use of "who wished" makes sense that "she wished to state a point at an earlier point in time". Also "to clarify" is more concise and appropriate in the context compared with "to make clear". That is why C was eliminated and E is my best choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [0]
Given Kudos: 320
Send PM
Having seen first-hand this recipe for disaster, Roberta Henson wished to make clear that free trade is unfair and that poor nations should be liberated from the one-size-fits-all trading model, promoted by the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund and the World Trade Organization.

A sounds correct. It correctly modifies who saw this recipe for disaster, Roberta Henson. In Choices C, D and E , it suggests free trade has seen first hand recipe for disaster. hence those are incorrect. Choice B misses verb , that poor nations being liberated or being from one-size trading model, then what? there is no verb. that is corrected in choice A , that poor nations should be liberated...
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619117 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

Competition Mode Question

Having seen first-hand this recipe for disaster, Roberta Henson wished to make clear that free trade is unfair and that poor nations should be liberated from the one-size-fits-all trading model, promoted by the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund and the World Trade Organization.

A. Roberta Henson wished to make clear that free trade is unfair and that poor nations should be liberated from the one-size-fits-all trading model,
B. Roberta Henson wished to make clear that free trade is unfair and that poor nations should being liberated from the one-size-fits-all trading model,
C. free trade was called unfair by Roberta Henson, who wished to make clear that poor nations should be liberated from the one-size-fits-all trading model,
D. free trade was called unfair by Roberta Henson, who wished to make clear that poor nations should being liberated from the one-size-fits-all trading model,
E. free trade was called unfair by Roberta Henson, who wished to clarify that poor nations should be liberated from the one-size-fits-all trading model,

Official Explanation

Correct Answer: A

The best answer is A. Choices C, D and E present dangling modifiers. Choice B incorrectly places the gerund being after the model, should.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts