Last visit was: 10 May 2024, 07:01 It is currently 10 May 2024, 07:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11677 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: help in verbal [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi nikitadadhich,

Since your 3 practice CAT Score results are so different from one another, it's unclear what your actual 'ability level' is right now. We do know that you are AT LEAST 170 points away from a 620+ though. That type of score improvement will likely require at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study though - and you will have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. However, November 15th is just a little more than 5 weeks away, meaning that you will likely need more time than that to hit your Goal Score and you might need to consider pushing back your Test Date.

1) What is the minimum GMAT Score that you would apply to School with?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi nikitadadhich,

Since your 3 practice CAT Score results are so different from one another, it's unclear what your actual 'ability level' is right now. We do know that you are AT LEAST 170 points away from a 620+ though. That type of score improvement will likely require at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study though - and you will have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. However, November 15th is just a little more than 5 weeks away, meaning that you will likely need more time than that to hit your Goal Score and you might need to consider pushing back your Test Date.

1) What is the minimum GMAT Score that you would apply to School with?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

if i get 600 that is also ok.... i study for atleast 7-8 hours or more

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30878 [0]
Given Kudos: 638
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi nikitadadhich,

The 3 scores that you have reported give too wide a range but one thing that does stand out is that there are conceptual as well as process gaps in Verbal which would need to be fixed before you can reach your target score. Since you have around one month till your test, I would recommend that you go through the article on GMAT One Month Study Plan. This article will list out in detail how you should prepare. If you have any further questions, please write to us at support@e-gmat.com.

Regards,
Aditee
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi nikitadadhich,

A 600 is not that much different from a 620 (meaning that you will still need to improve a great deal - at least 150 points, but possibly more - to earn that type of Score). I suspect that you might not be 'happy' with the idea of changing your timeline and plans, but you have to remember your REAL Goal - to get into your first-choice Business School. If you do not have a competitive GMAT Score, then the rest of your plan would likely fall apart.

Last year, you mentioned that you were interested in Schools in New York or New Jersey that did not require much Work Experience.

1) What Schools are you currently planning to apply to?
2) When are you planning to apply?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
egmat wrote:
Hi nikitadadhich,

The 3 scores that you have reported give too wide a range but one thing that does stand out is that there are conceptual as well as process gaps in Verbal which would need to be fixed before you can reach your target score. Since you have around one month till your test, I would recommend that you go through the article on GMAT One Month Study Plan. This article will list out in detail how you should prepare. If you have any further questions, please write to us at support@e-gmat.com.

Regards,
Aditee

i’ll follow this plan for sure because its been long time... i really want to complete and focus on other things..

Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi nikitadadhich,

A 600 is not that much different from a 620 (meaning that you will still need to improve a great deal - at least 150 points, but possibly more - to earn that type of Score). I suspect that you might not be 'happy' with the idea of changing your timeline and plans, but you have to remember your REAL Goal - to get into your first-choice Business School. If you do not have a competitive GMAT Score, then the rest of your plan would likely fall apart.

Last year, you mentioned that you were interested in Schools in New York or New Jersey that did not require much Work Experience.

1) What Schools are you currently planning to apply to?
2) When are you planning to apply?

Rich

right now i am planning for colleges in canada.... and i want to apply in november after 15

Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22182 [0]
Given Kudos: 285
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi nikitadadhich,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. So, you’ve taken a variety of practice exams and your scores have ranged from 250 to 450. When you take practice tests from companies other than GMAC, you may find some variation in algorithms used and thus variations in your score. In any case, let’s focus on the 250 you scored on your official mock. I understand that you’d like to take your GMAT by November 15, but given that you scored 250 on your GMATPrep exam, you likely won’t achieve a 620+ GMAT score by mid-November. Furthermore, I suggest that you hold off on taking any further practice exams until you have substantially improved both your verbal and quant skills.

You mentioned that you don’t understand the language in Reading Comprehension questions. Thus, it’s likely that you don’t understand the language in Sentence Correction and Critical Reasoning either, right? Struggling with the meaning of a lot of what you read is a sign that you lack some basic, fundamental skills in GMAT verbal. Your first order of business is to go back and really learn the foundations of ALL verbal topics. Once you feel that you have sufficiently learned those foundations, then move on to more advanced topics.

Overall, you likely have to slow down in order to speed up in GMAT Verbal. You have to learn to comprehend what you read and keep it all straight, and to use what you are reading to arrive at correct answers. So, at this point, your best bet is to focus on getting the correct answers to questions one at a time, taking as much time as you need to see key details and understand the logic of what you are reading. If you don't understand something, go back and read it one sentence at a time, even one word at a time, not moving on until you understand what you have just read.

For instance, if you are working on a Critical Reasoning question, read each sentence of the passage carefully, asking yourself whether you understand what you have read so far. If the answer is ‘no,’ then reread the passage one word at a time until you get it. Then, identify the conclusion of the argument, if there is one, and figure out how any conclusion is supported. You can handle Reading Comprehension passages similarly; take your time and learn to understand exactly what is being said, reading one sentence at a time or even one word at a time, if necessary. There is no way around this work. You have to learn to comprehend what you are reading. Your goal should be to take all the time you need to understand exactly what is being said and arrive at the correct answer. If you can learn to get answers taking your time, you can learn to speed up. Answering questions is like any task: The more times you do it carefully and successfully, the faster you become at doing it carefully and successfully.

To get better at seeing what is going on in Sentence Correction questions, take your time with every choice, noticing the key differences between choices, how effective each choice is, and why one choice is better than the others. You could even review Sentence Correction questions that you have answered already, as there is plenty in each question for you to learn to see. The point here is for you to work differently from how you have been, seeking to completely understand what is going on and to arrive at correct answers consistently without worrying about time constraints. Only once you consistently arrive at correct answers should you seek to speed up.

By doing this type of work, you can improve your reading and analytical skills, and eventually, those skills will be so good that even when you are faced with time constraints, you will comprehend what you are reading and correctly answer verbal questions.

Now, regarding quant, although your quant is stronger, it wouldn’t hurt to gain a few more points in that section, right? The more overall points you can gain, the closer you will get to your score goal. So, if you’d like some detailed advice on how to study GMAT quant, feel free to reach out.

You also may find my article with more information regarding
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT helpful.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi nikitadadhich,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. So, you’ve taken a variety of practice exams and your scores have ranged from 250 to 450. When you take practice tests from companies other than GMAC, you may find some variation in algorithms used and thus variations in your score. In any case, let’s focus on the 250 you scored on your official mock. I understand that you’d like to take your GMAT by November 15, but given that you scored 250 on your GMATPrep exam, you likely won’t achieve a 620+ GMAT score by mid-November. Furthermore, I suggest that you hold off on taking any further practice exams until you have substantially improved both your verbal and quant skills.

You mentioned that you don’t understand the language in Reading Comprehension questions. Thus, it’s likely that you don’t understand the language in Sentence Correction and Critical Reasoning either, right? Struggling with the meaning of a lot of what you read is a sign that you lack some basic, fundamental skills in GMAT verbal. Your first order of business is to go back and really learn the foundations of ALL verbal topics. Once you feel that you have sufficiently learned those foundations, then move on to more advanced topics.

Overall, you likely have to slow down in order to speed up in GMAT Verbal. You have to learn to comprehend what you read and keep it all straight, and to use what you are reading to arrive at correct answers. So, at this point, your best bet is to focus on getting the correct answers to questions one at a time, taking as much time as you need to see key details and understand the logic of what you are reading. If you don't understand something, go back and read it one sentence at a time, even one word at a time, not moving on until you understand what you have just read.

For instance, if you are working on a Critical Reasoning question, read each sentence of the passage carefully, asking yourself whether you understand what you have read so far. If the answer is ‘no,’ then reread the passage one word at a time until you get it. Then, identify the conclusion of the argument, if there is one, and figure out how any conclusion is supported. You can handle Reading Comprehension passages similarly; take your time and learn to understand exactly what is being said, reading one sentence at a time or even one word at a time, if necessary. There is no way around this work. You have to learn to comprehend what you are reading. Your goal should be to take all the time you need to understand exactly what is being said and arrive at the correct answer. If you can learn to get answers taking your time, you can learn to speed up. Answering questions is like any task: The more times you do it carefully and successfully, the faster you become at doing it carefully and successfully.

To get better at seeing what is going on in Sentence Correction questions, take your time with every choice, noticing the key differences between choices, how effective each choice is, and why one choice is better than the others. You could even review Sentence Correction questions that you have answered already, as there is plenty in each question for you to learn to see. The point here is for you to work differently from how you have been, seeking to completely understand what is going on and to arrive at correct answers consistently without worrying about time constraints. Only once you consistently arrive at correct answers should you seek to speed up.

By doing this type of work, you can improve your reading and analytical skills, and eventually, those skills will be so good that even when you are faced with time constraints, you will comprehend what you are reading and correctly answer verbal questions.

Now, regarding quant, although your quant is stronger, it wouldn’t hurt to gain a few more points in that section, right? The more overall points you can gain, the closer you will get to your score goal. So, if you’d like some detailed advice on how to study GMAT quant, feel free to reach out.

You also may find my article with more information regarding
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT helpful.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Good luck!

thank you so much... i’ll work harder so that i can reach goals as early as possible....and will try to work properly

Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22182 [0]
Given Kudos: 285
Send PM
Expert Reply
My pleasure. Keep me updated and reach out with any further questions.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi nikitadadhich,

From your posts, it's not clear what the EXACT application deadlines you are considering for the Schools that you plan to apply to - so you should probably define that aspect of your timeline in more detail. If you actually do end up needing another 3 months (or more) of study time, then you wouldn't be able to realistically apply until January of next year, so it would also help to know of any future application deadlines for each of those Schools, so that we can plan for all of the various aspects of this process (beyond just how you should study for the GMAT and when you should take the Exam).

Rich
GMAT Club Bot