GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 18:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.

Help required - GMAT verbal

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Help required - GMAT verbal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2018, 22:26
Hi experts, bb, egmat, abhimahna, KarishmaB, souvik101990

Trust you all are doing well.

To start with, I am a big fan of all you. Thanks a lot for contributing to GMAT club and helping people like me.

I gave my GMAT on August 8, 2018 and got a very low score (below my expectations).

Score - 520 (Quant - 41 and Verbal - 21). My target score is 700. I have attached my ESR, for your reference.

Quant mock scores - Got Q49 and Q46 (due to connectivity issues wasn't able to see two problems and hence, guessed on those and got them wrong - otherwise could have easily scored at least 47) in GMAT prep test 1 and 2.

Verbal mock scores - In MGMAT mocks my scores in verbal used to range from 30 to 34; have attached the sectional reports of two MGMAT mocks, for your reference.

not stating the verbal score of GMAT prep test 1 and test 2 because in test 1 - I got panicked in middle half (as I consumed too much time in first half - PS: I got 95% of questions correct in first half) because of which the other half went for a toss (and hence, got a low score) and in test 2 - I got two RCs back to back in first nine questions and skipped both of them because of which I think the level dropped drastically (PS: accuracy close to 70 percent in both CR and SC). (by the way got V21 and V19 in both tests)

I noticed that MGMAT mock and GMAT prep test are quite different - I am talking about the writing style and the content. I was quite comfortable with the MGMAT writing style and the content; I was easily able to comprehend in one go (as you can also see from the sectional reports of MGMAT mock). But in GMAT prep, it was taking a lot of time to comprehend and even after that I wasn't able to do it fully (same problem faced during the exam). I used verbal review and OG for practising SC and CR and was quite comfortable with them.

Issue with me: After giving the GMAT prep tests and the real test, I noticed that I was taking a lot of time to understand the meaning of the sentence in sentence correction. For CR, I think I am still ok - but would want to reduce my time. What would you suggest now? which materials should I use now (i don't want to use any non-official material now)? should I take up any online crash course? if yes, which one would be most helpful? i didn't practice RC much - biggest mistake - what would you suggest for RC ?

For quant, I can still manage. I think I must have done silly mistakes on the real test.

For your reference, I have mentioned below the materials I used for my study

Materials I used for my study:

SC - Manhattan strategy guide (as my target score is 700 didn't do the extra chapters ie chapter 10 to 12 - as Manhattan guide states that if your target score is above 700 then only do them). Watched all 'Thursdays with Ron' videos. They really helped a lot, I must say.

CR - Powerscore bible

RC - Manhattan guide

Used GMAT Verbal review and OG for practising SC and CR. I didn't practice RC much - biggest mistake I think.

Please guide me - I am really confused now. R1 deadlines are just nearby.

Look forward to hearing from you. If we can have a short call to discuss the above - that would be great.

Please provide me with your email id - so that I can send you my ESR and MGMAT sectional report. I am little uncomfortable to share my ESR and MGMAT sectional reports in public.

Many thanks in advance !!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Help required - GMAT verbal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2018, 11:24
Hi kd1993,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day did not go as well as hoped. Many Test Takers who use a "book heavy" study approach can run into potential issues on Test Day - and that appears to have happened to you. Even the best books are limited in what they can teach you; they also can't force you to approach questions in a certain way and their explanations are often one-sided. There are also likely some issues in terms of how you took your CATs, but I'd like to see your ESR before we discuss those details. You can feel free to PM or email me your ESR and I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

Beyond those details, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How long have you studied?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 06:26
Hi kd1993,

I am sorry that your scores were not in line with your expectations. It is possible to improve to a 700+ score. Below are a couple of examples of students who improved from a low score to their target score:
    • Askul improved from 520 (Q44 V17) to 710 (Q48 V40). He leveraged the live session and mastered our "3-step" process in SC and "Pre-thinking" process in CR to improve. Click here to read his inspiring GMAT journey.

• Richa followed a methodical approach and improved from 470 to 720 (V16 to V39). Click here to learn how she achieved this feat.

• Bruno improved from a 540 to 730 in 1 month. See how he focused on "logical approach" and building "core skills". Click here to watch his amazing video debrief

I see that you are hesitant to share your ESR here and also would like a consultation call with an expert. I would request you to share both your concerns on support@e-gmat.com and we will be more than happy to help.

Looking forward to your mail!

Regards,
Aditee

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 21:26
kd1993 wrote:
Hi experts, bb, egmat, abhimahna, KarishmaB, souvik101990

Trust you all are doing well.

To start with, I am a big fan of all you. Thanks a lot for contributing to GMAT club and helping people like me.

I gave my GMAT on August 8, 2018 and got a very low score (below my expectations).

Score - 520 (Quant - 41 and Verbal - 21). My target score is 700. I have attached my ESR, for your reference.

Quant mock scores - Got Q49 and Q46 (due to connectivity issues wasn't able to see two problems and hence, guessed on those and got them wrong - otherwise could have easily scored at least 47) in GMAT prep test 1 and 2.

Verbal mock scores - In MGMAT mocks my scores in verbal used to range from 30 to 34; have attached the sectional reports of two MGMAT mocks, for your reference.

not stating the verbal score of GMAT prep test 1 and test 2 because in test 1 - I got panicked in middle half (as I consumed too much time in first half - PS: I got 95% of questions correct in first half) because of which the other half went for a toss (and hence, got a low score) and in test 2 - I got two RCs back to back in first nine questions and skipped both of them because of which I think the level dropped drastically (PS: accuracy close to 70 percent in both CR and SC). (by the way got V21 and V19 in both tests)

I noticed that MGMAT mock and GMAT prep test are quite different - I am talking about the writing style and the content. I was quite comfortable with the MGMAT writing style and the content; I was easily able to comprehend in one go (as you can also see from the sectional reports of MGMAT mock). But in GMAT prep, it was taking a lot of time to comprehend and even after that I wasn't able to do it fully (same problem faced during the exam). I used verbal review and OG for practising SC and CR and was quite comfortable with them.

Issue with me: After giving the GMAT prep tests and the real test, I noticed that I was taking a lot of time to understand the meaning of the sentence in sentence correction. For CR, I think I am still ok - but would want to reduce my time. What would you suggest now? which materials should I use now (i don't want to use any non-official material now)? should I take up any online crash course? if yes, which one would be most helpful? i didn't practice RC much - biggest mistake - what would you suggest for RC ?

For quant, I can still manage. I think I must have done silly mistakes on the real test.

For your reference, I have mentioned below the materials I used for my study

Materials I used for my study:

SC - Manhattan strategy guide (as my target score is 700 didn't do the extra chapters ie chapter 10 to 12 - as Manhattan guide states that if your target score is above 700 then only do them). Watched all 'Thursdays with Ron' videos. They really helped a lot, I must say.

CR - Powerscore bible

RC - Manhattan guide

Used GMAT Verbal review and OG for practising SC and CR. I didn't practice RC much - biggest mistake I think.

Please guide me - I am really confused now. R1 deadlines are just nearby.

Look forward to hearing from you. If we can have a short call to discuss the above - that would be great.

Please provide me with your email id - so that I can send you my ESR and MGMAT sectional report. I am little uncomfortable to share my ESR and MGMAT sectional reports in public.

Many thanks in advance !!

Hey kd1993,

Sorry to hear about your lower-than-expected score. PM me your ESR. I will take a look and get back to you.

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Help required - GMAT verbal &nbs [#permalink] 13 Aug 2018, 21:26

Help required - GMAT verbal

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap