Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Help required - GMAT verbal [#permalink]
Expert Reply
kd1993 wrote:
Hi experts, bb, egmat, abhimahna, KarishmaB, souvik101990

Trust you all are doing well.

To start with, I am a big fan of all you. Thanks a lot for contributing to GMAT club and helping people like me.

I gave my GMAT on August 8, 2018 and got a very low score (below my expectations).

Score - 520 (Quant - 41 and Verbal - 21). My target score is 700. I have attached my ESR, for your reference.

Quant mock scores - Got Q49 and Q46 (due to connectivity issues wasn't able to see two problems and hence, guessed on those and got them wrong - otherwise could have easily scored at least 47) in GMAT prep test 1 and 2.

Verbal mock scores - In MGMAT mocks my scores in verbal used to range from 30 to 34; have attached the sectional reports of two MGMAT mocks, for your reference.

not stating the verbal score of GMAT prep test 1 and test 2 because in test 1 - I got panicked in middle half (as I consumed too much time in first half - PS: I got 95% of questions correct in first half) because of which the other half went for a toss (and hence, got a low score) and in test 2 - I got two RCs back to back in first nine questions and skipped both of them because of which I think the level dropped drastically (PS: accuracy close to 70 percent in both CR and SC). (by the way got V21 and V19 in both tests)

I noticed that MGMAT mock and GMAT prep test are quite different - I am talking about the writing style and the content. I was quite comfortable with the MGMAT writing style and the content; I was easily able to comprehend in one go (as you can also see from the sectional reports of MGMAT mock). But in GMAT prep, it was taking a lot of time to comprehend and even after that I wasn't able to do it fully (same problem faced during the exam). I used verbal review and OG for practising SC and CR and was quite comfortable with them.

Issue with me: After giving the GMAT prep tests and the real test, I noticed that I was taking a lot of time to understand the meaning of the sentence in sentence correction. For CR, I think I am still ok - but would want to reduce my time. What would you suggest now? which materials should I use now (i don't want to use any non-official material now)? should I take up any online crash course? if yes, which one would be most helpful? i didn't practice RC much - biggest mistake - what would you suggest for RC ?

For quant, I can still manage. I think I must have done silly mistakes on the real test.

For your reference, I have mentioned below the materials I used for my study

Materials I used for my study:

SC - Manhattan strategy guide (as my target score is 700 didn't do the extra chapters ie chapter 10 to 12 - as Manhattan guide states that if your target score is above 700 then only do them). Watched all 'Thursdays with Ron' videos. They really helped a lot, I must say.

CR - Powerscore bible

RC - Manhattan guide

Used GMAT Verbal review and OG for practising SC and CR. I didn't practice RC much - biggest mistake I think.

Please guide me - I am really confused now. R1 deadlines are just nearby.

Look forward to hearing from you. If we can have a short call to discuss the above - that would be great.

Please provide me with your email id - so that I can send you my ESR and MGMAT sectional report. I am little uncomfortable to share my ESR and MGMAT sectional reports in public.

Many thanks in advance !!

Hey kd1993,

Sorry to hear about your lower-than-expected score. PM me your ESR. I will take a look and get back to you.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Help required - GMAT verbal [#permalink]