Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:48 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [32]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29937 [10]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 121
GMAT 1: 620 Q45 V31
GMAT 2: 570 Q46 V23
GMAT 3: 610 Q49 V25
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: Hoses A, B, and C pump a swimming pool full of water. Hoses A and B [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
aashaybaindurgmat wrote:
Hoses A, B, and C pump a swimming pool full of water. Hoses A and B working simultaneously can pump the pool full of water in 4 hours, and Pumps B and C working simultaneously can pump the pool full of water in 6 hours. How long does it take pump A working alone to fill the pool?

(1) All three hoses working simultaneously can fill the pool in 3 hours and 36 minutes.

(2) Hose A and Hose C working simultaneously can fill the swimming pool in twice the time it would take all three hoses together to fill the swimming pool.

Work completed by A and B in 1 hr=1/4 -- (i)
Work completed by B and C in 1 hr=1/6 --- (ii)

Statement 1: Work completed by A, B and C in 1 hr= 1/3.6
This is sufficient because along with (i), we can find work completed by a in 1 hr as 1/3.6 -1/6

Statement 2: Work completed by A and C in 1 hr = 1/2 of A,B,C --- (iii).
If we add (i) , (ii) and (iii), we will get the same info as statement 1. So sufficient

Hence D.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 467
Send PM
Re: Hoses A, B, and C pump a swimming pool full of water. Hoses A and B [#permalink]
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
aashaybaindurgmat wrote:
Hoses A, B, and C pump a swimming pool full of water. Hoses A and B working simultaneously can pump the pool full of water in 4 hours, and Pumps B and C working simultaneously can pump the pool full of water in 6 hours. How long does it take pump A working alone to fill the pool?

(1) All three hoses working simultaneously can fill the pool in 3 hours and 36 minutes.

(2) Hose A and Hose C working simultaneously can fill the swimming pool in twice the time it would take all three hoses together to fill the swimming pool.

Work completed by A and B in 1 hr=1/4 -- (i)
Work completed by B and C in 1 hr=1/6 --- (ii)

Statement 1: Work completed by A, B and C in 1 hr= 1/3.6
This is sufficient because along with (i), we can find work completed by a in 1 hr as 1/3.6 -1/6

Statement 2: Work completed by A and C in 1 hr = 1/2 of A,B,C --- (iii).
If we add (i) , (ii) and (iii), we will get the same info as statement 1. So sufficient

Hence D.

Hi,

Can you please explain statement 2 in detail? Am confused with ….. 1/A + 1/ C = 1/2 ( A+B+C ) or is it A+B+C/2? Solving both ways my equations do not match with statement 1.Please assist.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1344 [0]
Given Kudos: 607
Send PM
Hoses A, B, and C pump a swimming pool full of water. Hoses A and B [#permalink]
aashaybaindurgmat wrote:

rate*time=work
(a+b)=1/4
(b+c)=1/6
4(a+b)=6(b+c)…4a+4b=6b+6c…2b+6c=4a…b=2a-3c

(1) All three hoses working simultaneously can fill the pool in 3 hours and 36 minutes. sufic

3h36min = x

(a+b+c)=1/x…(1/4+c)=1/x…c=1/x-1/4=y
(b+c)=1/6…b+y=1/6…b=1/6-y
(a+b)=1/4…a=1/4-(1/6-y)

(2) Hose A and Hose C working simultaneously can fill the swimming pool in twice the time it would take all three hoses together to fill the swimming pool. sufic

(a+b+c)=1/s…s=1/(a+b+c)
(a+c)=1/t…t=1/(a+c)=2s
1/(a+c)=2(1/(a+b+c))…(a+b+c)/(a+c)=2…a+b+c=2a+2c…a+c=b…a=b-c

b=2a-3c…2a=b+3c…2(b-c)=b+3c…2b-2c=b+3c…b=5c

find b or c, gives you a.

Ans (D)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Bunuel

Can you please explain how Statement 2 is sufficient??
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92929 posts