Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 11:27 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Re: How detailed/specific should you be about your career goals? [#permalink]
I was as specific as possible as well. I'm no expert, but my feeling was that the AdCom want to know that you have defined career plan and that the MBA fits in with that plan. If that means throwing in a desired job title, I don't see anything wrong with it. It is most important, however, to fully articulate what your responsibilities would be in such a position and how getting an MBA from institution X will help you succeed in that role.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Would you say that mentioning specific companies goes too far? I have heard conflicting theories on this.

On the one hand, you have a very clear goal to shoot for as early as the internship.

On the other hand, depending on your profile, you may come across as unrealistic.

I figure that I will not mention any specific companies unless I am asked for it.....

dox wrote:
I was as specific as possible as well. I'm no expert, but my feeling was that the AdCom want to know that you have defined career plan and that the MBA fits in with that plan. If that means throwing in a desired job title, I don't see anything wrong with it. It is most important, however, to fully articulate what your responsibilities would be in such a position and how getting an MBA from institution X will help you succeed in that role.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Above all else you want your career goals to be realistic. Yes a lot of people are career changers but you need to prove that you can accomplish any career change...schools want people to reach their goals. If people dont they tend to blame the school not themselves and thats not something schools want. To get into a school you are going to have to be employable and having realistic goals is paramount.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
raabenb wrote:
Would you say that mentioning specific companies goes too far? I have heard conflicting theories on this.

On the one hand, you have a very clear goal to shoot for as early as the internship.

On the other hand, depending on your profile, you may come across as unrealistic.

I figure that I will not mention any specific companies unless I am asked for it.....

dox wrote:

I think your instincts are right on this one. I stopped short of naming specific companies; I didn't feel that it added any real value to the point I was trying to make. As long as you are being specific, realistic, and tying in the necessity/value of the program, you'll be fine.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Send PM
I was very specific in that I mentioned the Industry, the function and the responsibilities that I was interested in. But I stopped short of mentioning any firms or actual job titles. As the others have stated above, having clear goals tells the ad-com that you know what you want and how the MBA fits in.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
I was quite specific as well. I defined my short term goals and then my long term goals in more detail. The region where I want to work, in what position and what industry.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
I was specific in the industry and field I want to go into, listed one example company, and talked about the type of job I would be doing. It all weaved into my "Why MBA" story realistically, which I think is the most important part.
GMAT Club Bot