Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 22:44 It is currently 13 May 2024, 22:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2849 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
[#permalink]
Praetorian,

It is so strange that you despise POE. Just about every prep book that serious students use as a foundation swears by that method.

I agree that it should be a last resort, but sometimes it is just hard to paraphrase what you think the answer should be and match that to what the answer is in reality.

Any thoughts?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1542 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would advise you to use POE during the exam as it certainly help your timing. However, during practice, do not resort too much to it. Instead, know your rules and why each answer is right or wrong.

Originally posted by Paul on 02 Aug 2004, 17:56.
Last edited by Paul on 03 Aug 2004, 06:51, edited 1 time in total.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
WhartonPlease! wrote:
Praetorian,

It is so strange that you despise POE. Just about every prep book that serious students use as a foundation swears by that method.

I agree that it should be a last resort, but sometimes it is just hard to paraphrase what you think the answer should be and match that to what the answer is in reality.

Any thoughts?

hi

i dont despise POE. i dont want you guys to use POE for learning. for example, when you use POE in your prep, we might come across three choices out of the five choices that cannot be the solution.... out of the other two, only one comes close.. thats why its the answer... but that does not help us at all to learn. it only solves the given problem.

On the test, sure go ahead use POE... but while solving problems in your prep, especially in the first few weeks, i would ask that you try to solve a problem in detail to completely understand a solution.

I hope i am making some sense here.. for the test, POE ok... not in your prep. you can even try and use POE in practise tests, but otherwise try to learn. as akamaibrah says, Knowledge is best retained when we struggle hard to learn it.

thanks
praetorian
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
thanks!! [#permalink]
i think i understand what pretorian is saying actually i did employ your way of thinking i got tremendous results. Actually POE is kind of based on that. As you will only be able to POE if you undestand what the answer choice means and in what context.

thanks doode!! that was a big help

see for some ppl it may work someit may not it the comfort level i guess and finally the %age of correct choices choose the strategy that works best for you !!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rxs0005: I also had the same kind of problem that you are facing. Well first thing I would advice is to do Practice (Practice will resolve 95% of your issues). Second, It was happening to me also, I was able to cut down to two choices and in the end was picking the wrong one. What I have observed is normally people commiting such kind of mistake have some pattern. For example, in my case I was stuck up with a pattern of selecting the choice that was shorter than the other, once I corrected this issue I was able to achieve good results as far as SC is concerned.
Though I was not able to completely eliminate some of the issues I had with CR(V36) but still I feel practice is the key.

Hope this helps! All the best
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Nice tip P.
Thanks
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator: