Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:50 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 236 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
 Q48  V38
Send PM
[#permalink]
I read in the Kaplan book that a good strategy is to read through the RC while making a blueprint for the entire passage. Something like 1-2 sentences per paragraph

That just helps u when u have to refer to something because of a question

I have tried this approach and have experienced my accuracy going up
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Send PM
RC [#permalink]
Kaplan Verbal Book is great. It talks about 3 different ways of dealing with RC. The method that I chose is - I always read all of the first paragraph- Summarize it in 1-2 line- Then read the first and last line of each of the subsequent paragraphs. And of course, write a line or 2 about it. Focusing more on the intent rather than the material. THis gives you a good gist. Then, for the detail questions ( which always takes me the longest)- I go back to the paragraph and read. I think this is a good method however, I am still very slow at it. Hoping to improve :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
An approach that is recommended here is called "active reading". Search the forum for this term and you would find some good advices.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 347 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would have to agree that the Kaplan Strategy was a pretty good one to read actively and answer the questions.... Especially

Topic: First 3 to 4 words in the topic

Scope: A little more detailed involved

Purpose: Why is the author writing?

And then paraphrasing by reading the first 2 lines of each paragraph... Just to get an idea of what is in the paragraph..... Generally skimming through the paragraphs will give you an idea of some key words and where they are located (like scientist names or object names or any name given to a revolutionary idea etc).... So when there is a question on any of those key words, you know which paragraph to look into....

Kaplan RC was one of the few good things Kaplan produced!!! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 565 [0]
 Q50  V31
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi, IHATEMELGIBSON1

I will strongly recommend you to read " How to read faster and better" by Norman Lewis... Not only it will help you in increasing reading speed, but also, it will ameliorate your reading comprehension.

I found it great, as it helped me increasing the speed from 150wpm to 550wpm in only 20 days!!! and due to higher speed, I can able to comprehend much better than before. :)

regards,

Amardeep
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1900 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
The topic 'how to tackle RC' is pretty subjective. What works for some people doesn't nescessarily work for others. I recommend this to you

- Read up some of the ways members tackle RC
- Try out different methods on some RC passages (maybe over a week or so) and see which one suits you best
- If there isn't a single one, find the one you're most comfortable with and make some modifications until you're satisfied with it
- Then practice with more passages with the method you came up with
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]