Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 04:00 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 04:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [3]
Given Kudos: 267
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619595 [0]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Send PM
Re: How many of the numbers a, b, and c are positive if each of these [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Sisrikhya wrote:
How many of the numbers a, b, and c are positive if each of these numbers is less than 20?

(1) a + b + c = 30
(2) a + b = 24

A) Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) ALONE is not sufficient.
B) Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) ALONE is not sufficient.
C) BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient.
D) EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.
E) Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient.

Similar question to practice: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-many-of- ... 32562.html Hope it helps.

hi in the question you suggested one cannot make 'a' negative as explained by you in that answer. but here 'a' or 'b' can become negative and the other two still can add up to 30 while each being less than 20 e.g -5,+16, +19. so in this question Statement A is not sufficient. So i think answer is E. Please correct me if i am wrong.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619595 [2]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
Re: How many of the numbers a, b, and c are positive if each of these [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
JHR2021 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Sisrikhya wrote:
How many of the numbers a, b, and c are positive if each of these numbers is less than 20?

(1) a + b + c = 30
(2) a + b = 24

A) Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) ALONE is not sufficient.
B) Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) ALONE is not sufficient.
C) BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient.
D) EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.
E) Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient.

Similar question to practice: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-many-of- ... 32562.html Hope it helps.

hi in the question you suggested one cannot make 'a' negative as explained by you in that answer. but here 'a' or 'b' can become negative and the other two still can add up to 30 while each being less than 20 e.g -5,+16, +19. so in this question Statement A is not sufficient. So i think answer is E. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Statements alone are clearly insufficient. When combining the statements, we deduce that c = 6. Given that each of the numbers a, b, and c is less than 20, and knowing that a + b = 24, we can infer that neither a nor b can be negative or 0. If they were, their sum would not reach 24. Thus, we can conclude that all three numbers are positive. Therefore, the answer is C.

Hope it helps.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92964 posts