Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 12:44 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72902 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1393 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
Re: how to analyse the practice test [#permalink]
Expert Reply
nishantdoshi wrote:
I read it everywhere that one has to analyse the CAT to figure out in which area more attention is required and it is totally correct, but what i want to know is how one should begin with the analyzing part and everything there is to about it.
Basically, i want to understand this process and how to make a study plan after analyzing the weak areas!

i think this is a question many people would want to ask for their own reasons but i am asking this because 1 month after the first practice CAT my score reduced i guess i dint analyse my weak areas and work on that!
NEED HELP!

Analyzing you mock CAT is one of the most important part of your preparation. The tests tell you about various problems such as:

1. Problems with Sections: Verbal Quants
2. Problems with subsections: PS, DS, SC, RC, SC
3. Problems with the type of questions, chapters and the topics.

Basically you need to drill down as deep as you can.

Allot close to 2 hours for analyzing the test.
Go through each wrong problem and try to solve it without looking at the solution.
If you still cannot, mark the question in your error log and make a note of what you have learnt.

For the questions that you got correct, see the solutions and see if there is a better way to solve.
If you have timing issues, from the next mock make sure to make a timing grid on your scratch pad.

The main aim of analysis is to not make the mistakes again.
Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I really don't get it. How can we analyse all 80 questions in two hours? For an indepth analysis I have found myself taking about 3 hrs for quant and about 5hrs for verbal. More because each option in verbal has to be evaluated.
I inevitably spend two days for analysis. What am I doing wrong? I would really like to know how I can wrap up my analysis in two hours or even 4hrs? That can really make the process efficient. Tx.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sinhap07,

Thorough review of each CAT you take is an essential part of the study process. However, there's some question as to whether you really need to analyze ALL 78 questions or not after taking each CAT. If you answered a question correctly, and you did so in an efficient fashion, then you might not need to do much review of that type of prompt. As another example, if you're dealing with a Geometry question that you find difficult, but you have not studied Geometry yet, then there might not be much of a reason to review that question at all (until LATER, once you've learned the necessary Geometry).

1) How long have you been studying?
2) What materials have you been using?
3) What is your score goal?
4) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot