Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:27 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
CAT Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 581 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
How to improve quant from Q36 to Q48 [#permalink]
Hi Rich
My reply to your questions
Studies:
1) How did you score on each of your Official GMATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
every time in between 420 to 460 (V17 and Q36)
2) How long did you study for each attempt?
3 to 4 months
3) What study materials have you used so far?
OG 2015 for both quant and verbal, Manhattan for Quant, now doing quant from Gmat Club Math book

4) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs/mocks (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
For Quant every time Q36 and I haven't given CAT yet for verbal
Goals:
5) What is your overall goal score?
670 and above
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
One of business in India whose last date of application is 24th Jan 2019 but looking at this situation of scores and level of preparation that wont happen so now planning for next year. But want to score in May 2019.
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
In India IIMs only.

Ashish

Originally posted by gmatAshish on 05 Jan 2019, 20:19.
Last edited by gmatAshish on 05 Jan 2019, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: How to improve quant from Q36 to Q48 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi gmatAshish,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Your 3 Official Scores show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 450 +/- a few points) regardless of how much additional study time you put in. It's likely that you have developed some 'bad habits' that will take time to fix (and replace with new 'good habits').

Raising a 450 to the point that you could consistently score 650+ will likely require at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello Rich

My reply-

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?
50 hrs

ashish
Intern
Intern
Send PM
cfc198 wrote:
gmatAshish wrote:
Hello,
I am struggling to score in quant. In fact while giving CATs of gmat club , I used to left with 10 questions every time in last 10 min so I do mark last 10 questions randomly.
I am giving Gmat Club CATs. Also I am doing practice from gmat club question banks by customising quizes 10 question each including only 600 and 700 level questions (excluding 500 level question). These quizzes I used to finish 10 questions in 45 minutes with such low pace.
Till Now I exhausted almost 400 questions from gmat club question bank.

This is not happened once that I got Q36 in CAT but same thing happened in actual Exam 3 attempts. (Always left with 10 to 13 questions in last 10 min)

Where I am going wrong?
Is it with concept or anything else?
How do I study and practice quant to ace Q48?
To get concept very clear which is the best source?

I would score my target score until and unless I score in quant Q45 and above.

Please please help me, suggest me.

Hi,

Please do not neglect the 500 level questions. Use them to work on your speed and then increase the difficulty accordingly. At this stage, you must spend a lot of time on analyzing your previous tests before proceeding to new ones.

Make use of the analytical feature of the gmatclub tests to understand your weak topics and then fill those gaps by drilling in quality questions. Just hang in there and I am certain that you will overcome this temporary road block to success!

Best wishes :

Hi
Thanks for suggestion

Let me know how to make the most use of this gmat club CAT and Quizzes?

By doing Gmat club quant questions, Can One really improve? I would rather say the level of question in actual gmat exam tested is resemblance with Gmat club question bank questions?

To brush quant concept please suggest best book/source? because I am feeling that I am lacking in concept.

Ashish
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32938 [1]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
How to improve quant from Q36 to Q48 [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hello Fellow Member

Quote:
In fact while giving CATs of gmat club

Don't try GMAT Club CATs if your real status of Quant is less than Q40, because gmat club CATs are tougher than GMAT Prep they will disappoint you if you are less than Q40 at GMAT Prep CATs, i am writing this fact based on my own experience. So first learn math concepts completely and then go to CATs.

Quote:
I do mark last 10 questions randomly

If you attempt one question and then guess next and repeat the same by attempting 5 questions by taking approx 2 minutes at each and guessing 5 questions straight away within 3-4 seconds you score will drop less.

Quote:
Also I am doing practice from gmat club question banks by customising quizes 10 question each including only 600 and 700 level questions (excluding 500 level question).

If your accuracy in 500 level questions in below 95% then for a score of Q48-49 you must reconsider your concept building before you go to practice 600 level or 700 level questions.

Quote:
Where I am going wrong?

You concepts are probably weak enough to rebuild and revise them again and then go to practice hard questions.

Quote:

Start with the Arithmetic (Manhattan GMAT Quant guides are numbered follow them as they are numbered). One month for learning Quant concepts and one month for practicing question. During you Practicing question don't forget to make an error log to track your weak areas after practice. Once you know your weak areas revise your Concepts related to those areas and do some more Practice. 6-8 CATs are enough for practice the real tests. Make your Stamina for sitting 3 hours in the test and don't study more than 2 hours in one sit and 4 hours per day

Quote:

Manhattan GMAT Quant Guide

Good Luck
CAT Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 581 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Send PM
gmatAshish wrote:
cfc198 wrote:
gmatAshish wrote:
Hello,
I am struggling to score in quant. In fact while giving CATs of gmat club , I used to left with 10 questions every time in last 10 min so I do mark last 10 questions randomly.
I am giving Gmat Club CATs. Also I am doing practice from gmat club question banks by customising quizes 10 question each including only 600 and 700 level questions (excluding 500 level question). These quizzes I used to finish 10 questions in 45 minutes with such low pace.
Till Now I exhausted almost 400 questions from gmat club question bank.

This is not happened once that I got Q36 in CAT but same thing happened in actual Exam 3 attempts. (Always left with 10 to 13 questions in last 10 min)

Where I am going wrong?
Is it with concept or anything else?

I would score my target score until and unless I score in quant Q45 and above.

Please please help me, suggest me.

Hi,

Please do not neglect the 500 level questions. Use them to work on your speed and then increase the difficulty accordingly. At this stage, you must spend a lot of time on analyzing your previous tests before proceeding to new ones.

Make use of the analytical feature of the gmatclub tests to understand your weak topics and then fill those gaps by drilling in quality questions. Just hang in there and I am certain that you will overcome this temporary road block to success!

Best wishes :

Hi
Thanks for suggestion

Let me know how to make the most use of this gmat club CAT and Quizzes?

By doing Gmat club quant questions, Can One really improve? I would rather say the level of question in actual gmat exam tested is resemblance with Gmat club question bank questions?

To brush quant concept please suggest best book/source? because I am feeling that I am lacking in concept.

Ashish

To brush quant concept please suggest best book/source? because I am feeling that I am lacking in concept -

So I would personally recommend two options here:

1. Invest in Target Test Prep. It is a brilliant quant online course which provides an organized and strategic study plan with around 3000 questions to practice. The only downside is that it will cost you $299 for 4 months.So,take a free trial and make a decision soon.

2. Rely on the Manhattan Foundation books and practice many high quality conceptual questions. This will need a lot of research and effort but it will definitely be worth it.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi gmatAshish,

50 hours of study each week is probably too much study time - that type of 'volume' (especially over the length of weeks or months) would greatly increase your chance of "burning out" before Test Day (and that is something that we want to avoid). You have to be careful about confusing "quantity" of study with "quality" of study. Given your Scores and Score Goal, you need to significantly change how you "see" (and respond to) the Exam - and that process will take time and a commitment to focus on training for the GMAT in a new way.

Given everything that you have described, you would likely find it beneficial to invest in a full GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led), so you should plan to look into the available options. When it comes to studying for the GMAT, there are a variety of different options. Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our website (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional questions, then just let me know.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30801 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi gmatAshish,

At your score you must first focus on improving your conceptual clarity and then on the approach to solve these questions. I invite you to attend our free Algebra workshop this weekend to learn how to solve any Algebra question in under 2 minutes with high accuracy. Register here to reserve your spot. You may also check out our Free Trial to assess if the course suits your learning style. I am sharing direct links to a few files, you can access more through your Free Trial dashboard:

Hope this helps. Please feel free to reach out to us at support@e-gmat.com for any further queries. We would be happy to help.

Regards,
Aditee
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Hello Fellow Member

Quote:
In fact while giving CATs of gmat club

Don't try GMAT Club CATs if your real status of Quant is less than Q40, because gmat club CATs are tougher than GMAT Prep they will disappoint you if you are less than Q40 at GMAT Prep CATs, i am writing this fact based on my own experience. So first learn math concepts completely and then go to CATs.

Quote:
I do mark last 10 questions randomly

If you attempt one question and then guess next and repeat the same by attempting 5 questions by taking approx 2 minutes at each and guessing 5 questions straight away within 3-4 seconds you score will drop less.

Quote:
Also I am doing practice from gmat club question banks by customising quizes 10 question each including only 600 and 700 level questions (excluding 500 level question).

If your accuracy in 500 level questions in below 95% then for a score of Q48-49 you must reconsider your concept building before you go to practice 600 level or 700 level questions.

Quote:
Where I am going wrong?

You concepts are probably weak enough to rebuild and revise them again and then go to practice hard questions.

Quote:

Start with the Arithmetic (Manhattan GMAT Quant guides are numbered follow them as they are numbered). One month for learning Quant concepts and one month for practicing question. During you Practicing question don't forget to make an error log to track your weak areas after practice. Once you know your weak areas revise your Concepts related to those areas and do some more Practice. 6-8 CATs are enough for practice the real tests. Make your Stamina for sitting 3 hours in the test and don't study more than 2 hours in one sit and 4 hours per day

Quote:

Manhattan GMAT Quant Guide

Good Luck

Thank you so much
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi gmatAshish,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. So first I’d like to address your timing issues. Timing on the GMAT, as in life, improves as your knowledge, understanding, and skill improve. Timing does not improve simply by “trying to go faster.” In fact, when people try to force speed before they’re ready to go faster, they tend to end up making a significant number of preventable mistakes. Sometimes these mistakes badly erode people’s test scores. In addition, when people rush learning -- a common pathology of those trying to force speed -- they actually never end up developing the speed they seek. One of the great paradoxes of learning is that to develop speed, a student must slow down to ensure that he or she masters the material. Consider the following examples, which hopefully will bring you some more clarity:

Imagine your goal were to run a mile in four minutes, a difficult feat even for professional athletes. So, you get yourself a running coach. You show up on the field and ask, “Coach, how do I get faster?” The coach responds, “Well, just run faster.” So, you try your best to “run faster,” but you can't; you’re running a 12-minute mile. Out of breath, you come back to the coach and say, “Coach, I stink. How do I get faster?” Again, he says, “Just run faster.” So, you try again, but this time you fall and skin your knees. You keep trying to run faster. On the tenth attempt, you pull your hamstring, falling to the ground in pain. Over your next four months of recovery, you ponder why you couldn't run faster.

That situation would be insane, right? No qualified running coach would ever provide you with that advice, because the coach would understand that no one gets faster merely by trying to run faster. Instead, the coach would set you up on a linear, comprehensive plan to make you a BETTER runner. He may have you run progressively longer distances at relatively slow speeds. He may have you run up and down the stairs at the football stadium. He may have you run up and down hills. He even may have you engage in strength training, yoga, or Pilates to make you a more fit athlete. After all of that training, he finally would bring you back on the field and time you running the mile. At that point, he’d coach you on how to push yourself through the pain of sprinting and help you to understand what a four-minute-mile pace feels like. He now could help you with those things because you would be in the necessary shape to be receptive to them. So, you begin your run, and BOOM! You run a 6-minute mile. What happened? Well, you became a better runner. You became a fitter athlete. You became stronger. Although you’re not yet at the four-minute-mile mark, your training has yielded considerable improvements.

Now imagine your goal were to play a complicated song on the piano. The tempo at which a pianist plays greatly impacts the way a song sounds. To make songs sound the way they should, often a pianist must play at a fast pace. But your experience with the piano is limited. Can you imagine trying to play the complicated song at full speed right at the outset? Doing so wouldn't be possible. Instead, you first need to master many aspects of the piano -- without really trying to get faster. In fact, you need to proceed slowly at first, sometimes very slowly. As you master the piano, you find that you’re able to play your song at progressively faster tempos. With time and dedicated, proper practice, you’re able to recreate the sound you seek. If in the early days of practicing you had tried to force speed instead of mastering your technique, you never would have become truly accomplished at playing the song.

The process of getting faster at solving GMAT questions is quite analogous to the process of improving one’s running speed or ability to play the piano at the proper tempo! To get faster, you must get better. As you further develop your GMAT skills, you will get faster at a) recognizing what a problem is asking and b) executing the necessary steps to quickly attack the problem.

The key takeaway is that once your GMAT knowledge improves, better timing will follow. In fact, a great way to know how well you have a mastered a particular topic is to be cognizant of your reaction time when seeing a particular question. For example, consider the following simple question with which many students who are beginning their prep struggle:

14! is equal to which of the following?

(A) 87,178,291,200
(B) 88,180,293,207
(C) 89,181,294,209
(D) 90,000,000,003
(E) 91,114,114,114

Upon seeing this question, what is the first thing that comes to mind? Grabbing a calculator to add up the values in the expression? Or are you able to quickly recognize that using the “5 x 2 pair rule” will allow you to efficiently attack the problem? (See the solution below.)

Solution:

14! = 14 × 13 × 12 × 11 × 10 × 9 × 8 × 7 × 6 × 5 × 4 × 3 × 2 × 1.

Notice that there is at least one (5 × 2) pair contained in the product of these numbers. It follows that the units digit must be a zero. The only number with zero as the units digit is 87,178,291,200.

Answer: A

Although this is just one example of many, you see that you must have many tools in your toolbox to efficiently attack each GMAT quant question that comes your way. As you gain these skills, you will get faster.

So, since you scored a Q36 (9 points from your score goal) on your most recent practice exam, you may want to look at HOW you have been preparing and potentially make some changes. Moving forward, you need a study plan that allows you to learn linearly, such that you can slowly build mastery of one GMAT topic prior to moving on to the next. Within each topic, begin with the foundations and progress toward more advanced concepts.

In order to study in such a way, you may need some new quant materials, so take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant courses.

You also may find it helpful to read the following articles about how to improve your GMAT quant score and how to get faster at solving GMAT questions.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello Mr Scott
Thank you so much. I read all those articles you put in. Those articles are great and extremely helpful to me.

Ashish
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
My pleasure! Good luck!
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16598 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi, gmatAshish

I’m sorry to hear that you are struggling with time management. But one good thing in your situation right now is that you know exactly what your problem is. Many students also suffer from time controlling, so you don’t have to be frustrated much. Your problem could be rooted in complicated factors, such as your studying styles, lack of establishment and so on.

Given your case, the main cause could be lack of solid math foundation and not internalized solving skills. You should focus on refreshing the basics. Focus on 5 key topics ;Integer, Statistics, Inequality, Probability, and Absolute Value that account for 80% of the GMAT exam. Fully understand and internalize these topics, then jump into the other stages. The next stage is learning how to solve the questions quickly and efficiently. The way teaching basics and skills are different by companies and you should choose one.

Math revolution’s online courses and teaching styles are different and unique and focus on saving time. Math Revolution’s ‘IVY approach’ for PS and ‘Variable approach’ for DS guarantee high accuracy and quick solving. Most of our students have 10 minutes to spare on the real test. With Math Revolution ’s ’Variable Approach’ for DS questions, you can minimize time spent on each question while improving accuracy (over 80 percent) (solving a question in + having a checking time = 2 minute) On average, our students have about 10 minutes to spare before the exam ends. To briefly explain our ’variable approach’, we apply ’variables–equations matching system’ to the DS questions. For example, you first need to count the number of variables and equations given in the question. By doing so, you can determine which answer choice will most likely be the answer. If there are only two variables in a question, you need at least 2 equations to solve the question. Since two conditions in the question usually give 2 separate equations, it is most likely that C (both conditions together are sufficient) will be the answer. Our IVY approach for PS can give you lots of tips and techniques to find the answer quickly and easily. You can quickly solve the questions and have 10 minutes to spare. (More information about our approach: https://www.mathrevolution.com/gmat/vs)

Also, if you want to get the score Q49-51, you should answer ‘common mistake type’ questions correctly. It could seem very difficult for you right now, but completing test is achievable.

Please let us know if you have further questions.
You can reach us at info@mathrevolution.com

Success is within your reach,
Good luck
GMAT Club Bot