Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 08:19 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 08:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: HKUST
GMAT Date: 12-02-2011
GPA: 3.1
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [3]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Re: How to overcome exam and timing pressure anxiety? HELP! [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
alinomoto wrote:
So, I have been studying fairly hard for a few months and my test date is just over 2 weeks away. I have started doing the CAT tests, and have written 4 MGMAT tests so far. I am saving the GMAT Prep tests until next week along with the final 2 MGMAT CATs.

My score for the first one (this was the free one that I did before really studying or taking too seriously) was 570 (Q33,V35).

The second was quite a big jump to 660 (this time I paid much closer attention to timing - Q45 V35).

3rd: 700 (Q43 V42) and 4th: 690 (Q42 V41).

The thing is that my quant background is fairly good, and I usually don't struggle with concepts. My issue is that damn timing clock. It makes me palpitate, sweat, make silly errors and forget things that I can easily solve on any non-test circumstance.

In my years in university, I never had any exam stress/duress and used to breeze through. I cannot figure out why my temperament changes so much when doing these practice tests (What will happen on the actual GMAT, god alone knows).

For instance in reviewing my tests, I can easily solve the quant in less than 2 minutes that I struggled with for 3 minutes and guessed on (without checking for the right answer or solution). In the back of my mind, I KNOW that I can solve these: I have done it many many times. But during the test, the emotional overload chokes me.

I would take any offer of advice. I breezed though university with a perfect 4.3 GPA in my 4 years and I never felt this way. Perhaps in the back of my mind, somewhere, somehow, there is the voice telling me that I MUST get a good mark on the GMAT as failure is NOT an option. I just am lost.

My verbal section, on the other hand, is fairly under control, but which I feel also gets affected by my quant section earlier on.

Sigh :(

This is what I did when I was preparing for my GMAT.....every time I took practice test, I headed to the local library where they have these interview rooms (soundproofed walls, totally quiet and private). Basically, I tried to simulate the test environment as close as possible. I wore noise canceling earphones. Took same minutes of breaks as if I was really taking the real test and I took the test itself very seriously.

At first it was intimidating - hearing nothing but my heartbeats with noise canceling earphones as minutes go by really made me nervous. However, as I kept doing more of these mock sessions, my focus level really went up and I learned to manage my time perfectly. Also, I got used to sitting down for 4 hours in a pressured environment so my stamina improved as well.

The big day finally came - went in, had 10 mins left in essay sections, 10 mins left in Quant, 8 mins left in Verbal. Wasn't nervous at all - in fact I was really breezing through. Checked my score and boom - 190 score increase. Never scored this high before from those prep tests. I couldn't believe it.

I know how you feel - the pressure is enormous.....my first GMAT score was 500 and I was really depressed. Don't let those negative things get to you. if you do well on practice tests - great. If you do bad - whatever, they don't count. Just relax and think positive, and don't try to put too much work before the test day. I didn't study for 4 days before the test to clear up my mind. If you don't understand something by this point, you won't understand until the test day.

I hope this helps and feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Good luck! :-D
GMAT Club Bot
Re: How to overcome exam and timing pressure anxiety? HELP! [#permalink]