Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 14:48 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 14:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: HR forbids employees writing RLs? [#permalink]
In my experience, if your boss said this, its a way for him to politely deflect your request because he either (A) doesnt want to do it or (B) isnt comfortable writing a rec.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello,

Actually, this practice is becoming more and more common. I am pursuing an Executive MBA and have more than 15 years work experience. I currently work for a Fortune 500 company that has this same policy.
You may be surprised to also learn that this protects you as an individual and your reputation.

We recently had an employee who left the company and sent a flurry of reference requests through LinkedIn, etc.
Many people recommended this person based upon their working relationship. However, what these people did not know (because HR could not discuss) was that this employee was asked to resign due to criminal activity. I am sure most colleagues would not have recommended this person had they known this. But since they ignored HR policy they are now, unfortunately, associated with this person.

I think most reputable companies will start instituting similar policies.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
i heard of a similar policy from my former boss during an internship i had. we are on good terms, so i don't think it's that he wanted to sidestep the responsibility. in fact he offered to provide a verbal reference / recommendation over the phone, just not in writing.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
ikaruga wrote:
I reached my previous supervisor for recommendation, and he told me that last year HR advised that they no longer provide recommendations. It is a finance company in New York. Has anyone also heard similar policy? Thanks!

At my former employer, a large consulting firm, my old boss had to get sign off from corporate HR before he could submit my recommendation. It doesn't surprise me to hear that some large companies won't allow them.

I'm sure you're not the only applicant in this position, so though it isn't ideal, at least you have a good explanation for not having a reco from your previous supervisor.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Marketing and Finance (Business Marketing Academy)
Schools:Kelley Class of 2013
 Q49  V38
Send PM
trunksli wrote:
That doesn't even sound legal. You can write whatever you want on the weekends about whatever you want. Maybe he meant references for jobs? I know some companies don't like providing job references (for example, the company you are interviewing at is doing background checks at previous employment). If they say bad things about your work behavior to your potential employer, you can potentially sue them.

However recommendations your boss can say whatever the hell he wants, because you asked him for it and it's a private transaction.

Funny you should say that. In my previous life, i was an associate at a large law firm (size/profits-wise, maybe 45th in the country).

The firm has a very strict policy about absolutely no reference or recommendation letters. For legal reasons, the law firm's view was it was easiest to simple adopt a bright line rule preventing all of this. I encountered this wall when I was applying for other jobs. All they are supposed to be able to say on the phone even, is "John Doe worked as an associate here from XXXX to XXXX", etc.

Thankfully, a few of my colleagues have since left the firm (either to go in-house or to go to another firm), so I can get recommendation letters from them, but I have zero chance of getting a recommendation from anyone currently working at this firm (that I worked at for 4 years).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Kellogg, Ross, MIT
 Q50  V48
Send PM
Yes, that is my current situation. It's widely known and (as far as I can tell) enforced. I knew about the rule so didn't even bother asking my boss. However, I work closely with folks outside the organization (client and partnership type relationships). I'm having two of those folks write my LORs, and just writing a statement on why I don't have one from a manager. I'm pointing out that the writers have frequent contact with my manager. Not ideal, but so it goes...
GMAT Club Bot