Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 10:28 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 10:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 180
Send PM
Re: In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma [#permalink]
Hello Mike,
I really appreciate the time you take in addressing questions. I have read all the explanations above but got one specific question. If there is no category which ranks between Minivans and SUV (which are 2nd and 3rd respectively in the argument), isn't it possible that these two categories (minivan & SUV) might be in other consecutive positions (i.e. 3rd-4th, 4th-5th)? I totally agree this is the best answer of all 5 options. But I think I have some gap in understanding which resulted in the above question. mikemcgarry look forward to hearing from you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Send PM
Re: In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma [#permalink]
sayantanc2k wrote:
The OA is correct and explanations provided in the thread appear sufficient. If there are any specific questions, please post them here and then click again on the "Request Expert Reply" button.

I have one doubt.

I choose B because of following reason

Premise : "best indicator for sales in each category are the sales last year".

Pre Thinking : Its an Assumption Question --> soo...... Okay i have to prove that nothing has changed from last year to this year.

B Says : The models of Tecumseh’s compact cars to be sold in the upcoming year are identical to or similar to those of last year. : BINGO ... This is what the assumption is.

Dear Magoosh Team, can you please help me with this ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
modarresansharif wrote:
Hi
i believe the question is wrong
option c says suv was the most profitable category and minivan the least profitable one which is based on last year sale.
the prediction is best on last year sale.
but the stimulus claims that the compact car is gonna make more profit than minivan and the third category will be suv.
thus the fourth and fifth categories will be other catergories, which will be less profitable

Dear modarresansharif,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, I don't believe you were reading (C) carefully enough. Think about it:
(C) Last year, no other [single individual] category of Tecumseh’s vehicles generated more profits than SUVs AND less than minivans.
It's very important to recognize the word "category" is singular, and it is very important to recognize the significance of an "and" rather than an "or." Of course it's true, as you say, that every other category has profits that are either greater than SUVs or less than minivans. That's absolutely true, but that's not what (C) is saying.

If we read (C) carefully, it is saying that no single individual category has a profit that is simultaneously both greater than SUVs and less than minivans. In other words, there is no category that ranks between those two in terms of profit. This is absolutely true, because SUV are #2 and minivans are #3.

Now, my friend, I want to consider how you addressed this question. Your opening comment was "I believe the question is wrong." This could be construed as disrespectful. Think about the following scenario. Suppose, after you get your MBA, you are hired at some job. Suppose you observe something associated with the company that looks like an error to you. If you go into your boss's office and begin by saying "I believe this is wrong," and then it turns out, as with this question, you misinterpreted something, think about the opinion this boss will have of you. Nobody else likes to be told "You are wrong," and if someone say this and then it turns out to have no basis, it is as if that person insulted someone for no reason. If someone does this, other people's respect or that person will tend to drop off quickly.

You see, traditional religious and ethic systems say that humility is a virtue precisely because humility is an extraordinarily powerful strength that can help you in an astonishing number of ways in life. The humble person who says, "Perhaps it is due to my mistake, but this doesn't make sense to me" is in a win-win scenario. If the matter in question is really correct, this humble attitude makes someone else more apt to explain it and clarify the matter. If the matter is really wrong, the humble person gets all the credit for pointing out the mistake as well as the personal respect for doing so humbly. There are few personality traits that will open more doors or impress more people than will genuine humility.

Furthermore, just in terms of pure pedagogy, your mind is more primed to learn when you are in genuine questioning mode. To the extent that you adopt the "this is wrong" mindset, you shut down curiosity and openness to new perspectives. Curiosity and openness to learning are also powerful skills that should not be underestimated: they also have the potential to assist you powerful in a number of venues in your life, including in GMAT preparation. They are definitely the best mindsets to cultivate if you want to learn the most.

My friend, does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Hi mikemcgarry

Your statement - 'This is absolutely true, because SUV are #2 and minivans are #3. ' , should it not be the other way round i.e. minivans are #n and SUVs are #n+1?

My thought process to state the above is that if category-wise I arrange the last year's profits in descending order then according to the choice --> Minivans > (No Category) > SUVs.

Also, I believe there's another way in which this choice can be comprehended i.e. what if profit(SUV) was highest and profit(Minivans) was lowest. In that case, wouldn't the below be true?

SUV > All the other categories > Minivans and this might not help our case.

Would be happy to be corrected.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Send PM
Hi Experts,
Please help me on the below doubt.

According to me, if we go through option C then it means all other categories profit apart from SUV and minivans will come between SUV and minivans.

To further explain, Last year profit should be like below if we go through option C:
SUV
then at last minivans.
So it means compact cars will also come in mid of SUV and minivans hence how it can come at the top of this year also minivans has least profit last year than how it can come at 3rd position.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7629 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
a123bansal wrote:
Hi Experts,
Please help me on the below doubt.

According to me, if we go through option C then it means all other categories profit apart from SUV and minivans will come between SUV and minivans.

To further explain, Last year profit should be like below if we go through option C:
SUV
then at last minivans.
So it means compact cars will also come in mid of SUV and minivans hence how it can come at the top of this year also minivans has least profit last year than how it can come at 3rd position.

Hi

I believe there is some misunderstanding in your explanation. The stimulus states:

i) Tecumseh sets prices so that the profit per vehicle is, on average, about the same.
ii) best indicator for sales in each category are the sales last year
iii) the three most profitable categories of vehicles in the coming year will be compact cars, minivans, and SUVs respectively

Since the profit per vehicle is the same, the order of profitability will also be the order of number of vehicles sold in that category. Therefore, we can understand that compact cars, minivans and SUVs will be the top 3 models sold by Tecumseh, in that order (since the stimulus states "respectively"). Compact cars will not come between SUV and minivans, but compact cars will be the largest selling model, followed by minivans and SUVs in that order.

Clearly the assumption is that no other category will intrude in this order, which is what is stated in option (C).

Hope this helps.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma [#permalink]
The conclusion will break in the following manner:
If there is a fourth category of vehicle, let's say model x, (other than Cars, minivans and SUVs) that satisfies any of the following conditions, then Cars, minivans and SUVs will not be the best 3 selling models:
1. If model x sold more than Cars in previous year.
2. If model x sold less than Cars but more than minivans- then it will be second best selling model.
3. If model x sold less than minivans-but more than SUVs- then it will become third best model instead of SUVs.

Hence, if any of the above condition is satisfied then the conclusion will break. Point 3 above is similar to the option C.

Hence the assumption.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 337
Send PM
mikemcgarry i agree that C is definitely and clearly the correct answer here.
But i'm not able to see why E is wrong.

As per the question statement
1. the profit per car across categories is same (therefore, profit for each compact car = profit for each minivan, and so on)
2. the total profit in this year for compact cars > minivan > SUVs

from this, can't we logically infer that the no. of compact car would be more than no. of minivan and so on?
that is, #compact_cars > #minivan > #SUVs etc

hence, now if i negate this statement, we would not be able to establish that profit for compact_cars is more than profit for minivan or SUVs?

please let me know your views.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
mikemcgarry

Hi Mike,

I read all your comments, but I am not able to understand one thing, as you told us that because of "and" there is no specific category that made more profit than SUV and at the same time less than MiniVans. But it still doesn't tell us anything about Compact Cars. So how can C be right?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
Hi Mick,
I looked through your explanation, and yes I totally understand you said "there is no category that ranks between minivans and SUVs in terms of profit", but there is no indication about compact cars ranking, so I'm confused how to get the conclusion that compact cars ranked #1, minivans ranked #2 and SUVs ranked #3 as per this assumption? Could you shed some light? Thx in advance
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
modarresansharif wrote:
Hi
i believe the question is wrong
option c says suv was the most profitable category and minivan the least profitable one which is based on last year sale.
the prediction is best on last year sale.
but the stimulus claims that the compact car is gonna make more profit than minivan and the third category will be suv.
thus the fourth and fifth categories will be other catergories, which will be less profitable

Dear modarresansharif,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, I don't believe you were reading (C) carefully enough. Think about it:
(C) Last year, no other [single individual] category of Tecumseh’s vehicles generated more profits than SUVs AND less than minivans.
It's very important to recognize the word "category" is singular, and it is very important to recognize the significance of an "and" rather than an "or." Of course it's true, as you say, that every other category has profits that are either greater than SUVs or less than minivans. That's absolutely true, but that's not what (C) is saying.

If we read (C) carefully, it is saying that no single individual category has a profit that is simultaneously both greater than SUVs and less than minivans. In other words, there is no category that ranks between those two in terms of profit. This is absolutely true, because SUV are #2 and minivans are #3.

Now, my friend, I want to consider how you addressed this question. Your opening comment was "I believe the question is wrong." This could be construed as disrespectful. Think about the following scenario. Suppose, after you get your MBA, you are hired at some job. Suppose you observe something associated with the company that looks like an error to you. If you go into your boss's office and begin by saying "I believe this is wrong," and then it turns out, as with this question, you misinterpreted something, think about the opinion this boss will have of you. Nobody else likes to be told "You are wrong," and if someone say this and then it turns out to have no basis, it is as if that person insulted someone for no reason. If someone does this, other people's respect or that person will tend to drop off quickly.

You see, traditional religious and ethic systems say that humility is a virtue precisely because humility is an extraordinarily powerful strength that can help you in an astonishing number of ways in life. The humble person who says, "Perhaps it is due to my mistake, but this doesn't make sense to me" is in a win-win scenario. If the matter in question is really correct, this humble attitude makes someone else more apt to explain it and clarify the matter. If the matter is really wrong, the humble person gets all the credit for pointing out the mistake as well as the personal respect for doing so humbly. There are few personality traits that will open more doors or impress more people than will genuine humility.

Furthermore, just in terms of pure pedagogy, your mind is more primed to learn when you are in genuine questioning mode. To the extent that you adopt the "this is wrong" mindset, you shut down curiosity and openness to new perspectives. Curiosity and openness to learning are also powerful skills that should not be underestimated: they also have the potential to assist you powerful in a number of venues in your life, including in GMAT preparation. They are definitely the best mindsets to cultivate if you want to learn the most.

My friend, does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

By the above statement, as far as i gather, it mean that all the other categories are more than the minivans and less than the SUVs (in terms of profit), which is nothing but SUVs are number #1 on that list in terms of profit (since no category made profits more than SUVs, which could be translated to all other categories made less profit than SUVs) and minivans are last on the list (since no category made less profits than minivans, which could be translated to all other categories made more profit than minivans).

Kindly please clarify my understanding
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 620 Q38 V36
Send PM
mikemcgarry I'm having trouble understanding the way that option (c) is phrased. "...both more than SUVs and less than minivans" in my head sounds like they are the opposite ends of the spectrum. As in, every other category falls between the two. Could you please explain this idea with an example of sorts? (terribly sorry if its a silly question, as a non native speaker its hard for me to wrap my head around it)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts