Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:16 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Send PM
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16599 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
I am stuck at the same score need advise!! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hello VatsSaraf,

A score of 660 in the GMAT mock tells the entire story about how well prepared you are for the GMAT official test and how to change the gear now to meet the target score in reality.

With my GMAT tutoring, guidance, and counseling experience, we have to accept a fact with a pinch of salt that diagnostic/ mock test scores are above then what one should expect in a real test. There is often dropping in the score. Some students have even experienced a drop of 100 pointers. It is one of the realities, and your preparation should not sideline this fact.

You can schedule a comprehensive counseling session for 30 mins with one of our experts: https://calendly.com/mathrevolution/1-on-1-session for detailed advice on your current study plans.

A couple of things that can be a noticeable barrier to your scores would be some or all of the below.

• Inefficiency by using time-consuming Conventional method to tackle DS and PS questions still
• No expert support (maybe) who can tutor, analyze, and guide you during your learning especially on hard level questions while stably hitting middle-level questions.
• Lack of many updated questions and practice in the recent exam trend
• Not well aligned with time to solve questions.

Since we are a math expert, we will recommend you go through our post on the GMAT club: Breakdown of GMAT math questions and types: https://gmatclub.com/forum/overview-of- ... l#p1641411

We recommend that you must learn the Variable Approach for solving DS questions and the IVY approach for solving PS questions in order to improve your accuracy and save time while solving the question types.

Register with MathRevolution https://www.mathrevolution.com/member/signup to get access to our 7-day full on-demand course (27 topics, 490 subtopics, and 1,500 questions) for free trial lessons.

700+ level questions https://www.mathrevolution.com/gmat/questionbank are separately available, too. Start with the learning of the concepts. Make a habit of taking notes during the initial learning of the concepts.

The day regular mock tests show the consistent score of Q48+ with V37+, then it will reflect the positive change in the score, and hence, your confidence will boost up. Gradually, with the help of mock tests, you will be able to compete with time and therefore, will be able to learn time management.

We appreciate your time and patience in reading this reply.

Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us at info@mathrevolution.com

Success is within your reach.
Good luck!

Math Revolution Team
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: I am stuck at the same score need advise!! [#permalink]
GMATWhizTeam wrote:
VatsSaraf wrote:
Hello everyone,
As from the topic of this post you know what I am going to ask, but before that let me put some details about my preparation.

I have been studying for GMAT from mid-January, I study 2 to 3 hours a day with maybe hour or two more on the weekends.
I started my preparation with a diagnostic test provided in OG19 and results were:

RC - average
CR - average
SC - below average

PS - above average
DS - below average

then I started with my preparation, covering all the basics and tips and tricks. I used materials like GmatClub videos on youtube (very thankfull for that, they were like blessing), OG19 and Manhattan prep's 'all quant' and 'all verbal' books. After 2 months of preparation I decided to give my first practice test (official) and got 660 V34 and Q47 (honestly was bit disappointed, I expected around 690).

Problem starts here.
Now its been around a month after that and I have made no progress. Recently I gave another test (non-official) and got 660 V33 and Q47. I don't know what to do now, I still have some idea about increasing my quant score as I am weak in some concepts like geometry, probability etc but for verbal I don't know what to do, I know all the rules and yet I am inconsistent. There are days where I ace 700 level question and I get answers logically and there are days where I bomb sub 600 level question (this is FRUSTRATING!!). I feel like this is where most of the students giving GMAT get stuck ( I can be wrong though)

can anyone give me some advise regarding any of the sections or even sub-sections or how to break this barrier? I would mostly like to increase my verbal score as increasing verbal score would give big jump to my overall score, also any advise on how can I strengthen my weak concept in quants? any materials/ approach. My target is around 720+ and I have a month or 2 left (haven't set the date yet).

thank you in advance for the advices. Please help :)

Hi VatsSaraf,

Let me get straight to the point. Basically, knowing the rules doesn't help much to solve Verbal questions. GMAT Verbal is mostly about the methodology and the logical approach. Before you learn the concepts of any module in Verbal, understand what is actually tested using that. Once you understand that, you start focusing on the right aspects.

For example, SC questions on GMAT test your ability to convey the right meaning without any ambiguity. So, it's important to approach them from a meaning stand-point. You might have often come across answer choices which are both grammatically correct and convey a logical meaning but are indeed incorrect because they do not convey the intended meaning. So, the process to approach SC questions is to:
  • Comprehend the original meaning of the sentence
  • Identify errors if any (both grammatical and meaning wise)
  • Eliminate answer choices which either are grammatically incorrect or do not convey the intended meaning

You can go through the recording below to understand the process in a better way.

Even though grammar rules help to a certain extent, meaning-based approach is the key to solving SC questions. The same goes with CR and RC questions as well.

The probable reasons for score being stagnant:

When you say that you are able to sometimes solve a 700 level question but struggle with 600 level questions, you are probably not using the right process to solve questions. You need to understand that when the approach is not consistent, your accuracy keeps varying. If I'm not wrong, for a few questions, you are not using the right process and are somehow getting the answers right. This should not happen as the same might happen during the actual test and when it doesn't happen, your score can drop.

So, the way to work on it is to learn the right process to solve questions of each module. Learn what is being tested, focus on the right aspects while learning, and then practice questions only after you are perfect with the concepts and the methodology to solve. And remember that, GMAT Verbal is all about eliminating four incorrect answer choices rather than choosing the right one. So, you need to use the right strategies to eliminate incorrect answer choices on solid grounds.

Please go through the recording below to understand how to improve your Verbal score.

I can help you in a better way if you can provide me the details of your weak areas in verbal and the way you approach questions of each module. I suggest we get in touch over a zoom call as it will help analyze your approach of solving questions. Once I understand your approach and identify the flaw if any, I can help you with the plan of action. We can discuss the study strategy for Quant during the call itself. You can use the below link to schedule a call with me.

Click here to schedule a call

Thank you so much for the reply, I can see what you are saying.
For verbal my weak areas would be SC and RC. I am pretty comfortable with CR the only question I get wrong are hard ones.
My SC approach needs to be changed I guess and I need to change how I read and comprehend the passage. Any tips on SC?? I am most inconsistent with it, other than just practicing what can I do, what approach should I use?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MathRevolution wrote:
Hello VatsSaraf,

A score of 660 in the GMAT mock tells the entire story about how well prepared you are for the GMAT official test and how to change the gear now to meet the target score in reality.

With my GMAT tutoring, guidance, and counseling experience, we have to accept a fact with a pinch of salt that diagnostic/ mock test scores are above then what one should expect in a real test. There is often dropping in the score. Some students have even experienced a drop of 100 pointers. It is one of the realities, and your preparation should not sideline this fact.

You can schedule a comprehensive counseling session for 30 mins with one of our experts: https://calendly.com/mathrevolution/1-on-1-session for detailed advice on your current study plans.

A couple of things that can be a noticeable barrier to your scores would be some or all of the below.

• Inefficiency by using time-consuming Conventional method to tackle DS and PS questions still
• No expert support (maybe) who can tutor, analyze, and guide you during your learning especially on hard level questions while stably hitting middle-level questions.
• Lack of many updated questions and practice in the recent exam trend
• Not well aligned with time to solve questions.

Since we are a math expert, we will recommend you go through our post on the GMAT club: Breakdown of GMAT math questions and types: https://gmatclub.com/forum/overview-of- ... l#p1641411

We recommend that you must learn the Variable Approach for solving DS questions and the IVY approach for solving PS questions in order to improve your accuracy and save time while solving the question types.

Register with MathRevolution https://www.mathrevolution.com/member/signup to get access to our 7-day full on-demand course (27 topics, 490 subtopics, and 1,500 questions) for free trial lessons.

700+ level questions https://www.mathrevolution.com/gmat/questionbank are separately available, too. Start with the learning of the concepts. Make a habit of taking notes during the initial learning of the concepts.

The day regular mock tests show the consistent score of Q48+ with V37+, then it will reflect the positive change in the score, and hence, your confidence will boost up. Gradually, with the help of mock tests, you will be able to compete with time and therefore, will be able to learn time management.

We appreciate your time and patience in reading this reply.

Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us at info@mathrevolution.com

Success is within your reach.
Good luck!

Math Revolution Team

Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi VatsSaraf,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function (and that you took your CATs in a realistic fashion that matches-up with how you will take the Official GMAT), your 2 CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (660 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes.

From what you've described, your studies so far have been "book heavy"; unfortunately, many GMATers who study in that way end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. Even the best books are limited in what they can teach you; they also can't force you to approach questions in a certain way and their explanations are often one-sided. As such, you would likely find it beneficial to invest in some new, non-book study materials for this next phase of your studies.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) What type of study routine have you been following over the last month? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) Did you take just those 2 CATs/mocks over the last 4 months or were there any others? On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22056 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi VatsSaraf,

I have two very helpful articles for you to check out:

How to Score High on GMAT Verbal

How To Increase Your GMAT Quant Score

If you have any additional questions, feel free to reach out.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi VatsSaraf,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function (and that you took your CATs in a realistic fashion that matches-up with how you will take the Official GMAT), your 2 CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (660 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes.

From what you've described, your studies so far have been "book heavy"; unfortunately, many GMATers who study in that way end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. Even the best books are limited in what they can teach you; they also can't force you to approach questions in a certain way and their explanations are often one-sided. As such, you would likely find it beneficial to invest in some new, non-book study materials for this next phase of your studies.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) What type of study routine have you been following over the last month? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) Did you take just those 2 CATs/mocks over the last 4 months or were there any others? On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

760+: What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels

Thank you so much for the reply. Now answers your questions.
1) I practice verbal questions (all official) in the day for about hour and a half and try new approaches or watch videos if I think I am doing something wrong or if I feel there is something better I can do and change accordingly. same goes for quant at the end of the day 1 hand and half hour of practice and learning. and usually I try to revise on the weekend what I have done. I also maintain a book, which contains all the rules and concepts that I have learned from videos/ getting questions wrong and revise that now and than.

2) Yes I have only given 2 mocks as I thought it would be useless to keep giving mock every week without learning anything first but now I am going to give mocks on every weekend maybe try to analyze it.

3) I am planning for an MiM in London for year 2022, but I want to get over with GMAT as soon as possible so that I can take out time for making a good application and writing essays and LoRs. My target schools would be LBS, Imperial, LSE.

your advise would be valuable, thank you again.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi VatsSaraf,

Thank you so much for replying, I sure will.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi VatsSaraf,

To start, since you are interested in some highly-competitive Schools, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

Keeping a running log/list of rules, concepts and tips that you've learned over time is a smart choice, but the way that you've been going about doing that work is somewhat "limiting." Based on the additional information that you have provided, it sounds as though you're only focusing on making changes to your routine when you think that you need to make those changes. In simple terms, if you think that 'your way' of approaching a question is the 'best way', then you're not actively looking to improve. Most GMAT questions can be approached in more than one way, so you have to be careful about assuming that just because you got the correct answer, that there isn't a faster or easier way to approach the question. Since GMAT question-writers build their prompts around patterns, you might not be properly learning how to spot (and take full advantage of) of all of those patterns when they appear - and that would help to explain why your first 2 CAT Scores are so similar to one another.

Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train too score at a higher level. Depending on how flexible of a thinker you are - and how quickly you can make the necessary changes to how you "see" (and respond to) the Exam, you could potentially hit your Goal Score in 1-1.5 months of additional study. However, if you are stubborn about how you are going to approach this next phase of your studies, then you will likely continue to score at this same general level (and it would likely take far longer than that for you to get to the point that you can consistently score 720+).

1) Are you planning to take the At-home GMAT or are you planning to take your GMAT at a Test Facility?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22056 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
VatsSaraf wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi VatsSaraf,

Thank you so much for replying, I sure will.

Awesome. I'm here if you need me.
GMAT Club Bot