Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:41 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 891 [0]
Concentration: Strategy - Finance
 Q49  V36
Send PM
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
No, do not waste a GMATPrep test just to see where you stand...unless you are a recent graduate or are naturally good at these tests, you will likely end up just wasting a test.

The Cracking the GMAT book is a GREAT book to start with (it was the first one I got as well). It has a very good overview of the test, and the strategies are very helpful. I thought the tests were good as well. Make sure you look at the breakdown of your score afterward, to see which areas were stronger/weaker than others, and review the answer explanations too (GMATPrep unfortunately doesn't have explanations, another reason not to use the tests until later...you need to learn very early on where you're going wrong). I didn't think the math section was easy myself, actually thought it was on par with the real thing.

Agreed on the OG. It's a must.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ok, thank you all!

So, here is what I'm gonna do:
- Reading "Cracking the GMAT"
- Practicing with questions on that book
- Reading the OG
- Try the Prep Test
- Reading some other book if necessary

Meanwhile, I'm going to keep in touch with this site... stressing you all with any question that will show up in my mind! :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Send PM
GMAT [#permalink]
Olrac,
Do you have a good concept of the basics? In case you don't, you might want to think about purchasing the MGMAT books as well. You don't have to get all of them, but if you are weak in SC, DO get their SC book. It's great at discussing all the rules.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Re: I'm new. Any advice to start off? [#permalink]
Olrac wrote:
Hi everybody! I've just found this site, I think it will be helpful, though reading about so many skilled people get me feeling a bit intimidated (yes, I've already glanced through the related sticky topic...).

I'm a total newbie about the gmat: yesterday I spot a preparation book at the shop and I purchased it. It's Craking the GMAT by Princeton Review.
Do you think it's a good book (or, at least, do you think it's good enough to start off)? Or have I just wasted money and should buy another one?

Thank you all!

If you're the average JOE, I'd recommend https://www.bellcurves.com
in reinforcing your understanding of the basic math. I wouldn't touch any difficult concepts like permutations, combinations, etc... till the last week before your official test. Accurately answering all medium level questions in both math and verbals will get you to a 700. Even on the verbal section you can miss a some medium level questions and still do well Competition is stiffer in quantitative section. If you do well on all medium level questions, you'll naturally answer a decent portion of the difficult questions correctly. KEY: COVER YOUR WEAKNESSES on all medium level questions. You need 90% accuracy.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: I'm new. Any advice to start off? [#permalink]