Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:04 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 266 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Schools:UC Berkley, UCLA
GMAT 2: 540 GMAT 3: 530
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 863 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 266 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Schools:UC Berkley, UCLA
GMAT 2: 540 GMAT 3: 530
Send PM
Re: I need an explanation! [#permalink]
Thank you both for your very helpful explanations!

I have a question though. Can that modify a clause before it? I know that which can modify a clause that comes before it but I was just wondering about that. Can you clarify that part for me? Thanks.

Originally posted by mariyea on 29 Dec 2010, 10:18.
Last edited by mariyea on 03 Jan 2011, 10:07, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3948 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Great explanations!

However, I have seen sometimes that "which" modifies an entire clause in some sentences.

Please explain. Thanks!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
@metallicafan
Hi...it would be a great learning experience if can you share those sentences... may be we can ask Bkimball to evauluate same.

I also forgot to mention in my post that there is an exception where which might not refer back to immediatly preceding word. when preposition is used as a part of group of words preceding which , pls see the below mentioned example

If antecedent is a part of the prepositional phrase before "which" , "which" may not directly refer back to words it is attatched with.
e.g.
The picture above fireplace, which was taken last year in mexico, is one of my favourites

here , which refers to the picture taken, in such situations :

1) we must try to rephrase the sentence, if possible to ensure that "which" touches the preceding word.
2)if that is not possible to rephrase sentence then there is no harm in usage of which as mentioned above

the ideal construction with which / that is what has been described in above posts, and almost every time i hve seen the usage of "that and which "as per the rules authenticated by Bkimball.

@Bkimball

usage of "which and that" is the one of the most important points in GMAT, and i hve explained something on the fundamentals of this rule, so i would request you to correct me if i am wrong anywhere in my explanation, so there is no misunderstanding on this rule and my post doesnt misguide anyone :) because i am not master of verbal , just learning :) Can you also address two questions along with this

1) how frequently do we see usage of which , where "where" might not refer back to immediate preceding word ? ( in context of GMAT )
2) If you could address any situation where "which" might refer back to entire clause preceding "which"(as mentioned by ( metallicafan in one of the previous posts ) because i am yet to learn this aspect if there are any exceptions

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: I need to understand grammatically why, how and when which [#permalink]
I advise to refer to the great articles from e-gmat for your understanding.This is from my personal experience.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-135868.html-see the examples.You can clearly get an idea of usage of 'which'.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/learn-how-that-can-help-you-demystify-a-long-sentence-138358.html-see the examples for usage of 'that'.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: I need to understand grammatically why, how and when which [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts