Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 112
Schools: Tuck '19
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [1]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 768 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Send PM
Re: If the product of all the unique positive divisors of n, a positive in [#permalink]
AKProdigy87 wrote:
I agree with E: n^9.

Another way to look at it (using the same methodology outlined by Bunuel in his post):

We know that the product of all the divisors of n is equivalent to n^2. Therefore, n = x * y, where x and y are both prime positive and distinct integers (as outlined by the conditions set in the original question, and explained in the previous post).

We need to determine, the product of all the divisors of n^2, which we know to be equivalent to:

\(n^2 = n * n\)

\(n^2 = (x * y)(x * y)\)

Since both x and y are known to be prime numbers, the divisors of n^2 are therefore:

\(1, x, y, xy, x^2, y^2, x^2y, xy^2,\) and \(x^2y^2\)

The product of these divisors is therefore:

\((1)(x)(y)(xy)(x^2)(y^2)(x^2y)(xy^2)(x^2y^2)\)

\(= x^9y^9\)

\(= n^9\)

why is it assumed that that there are ONLY 2 prime factors?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2055 [0]
Given Kudos: 174
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
Re: If the product of all the unique positive divisors of n, a positive in [#permalink]
If we assume more than three prime factors for n, then the original condition of the product of all positive factors on n is n^2 does not hold.
Let n = a*b*c, where a,b,c are unique primes

# of factors = 2*2*2 = 8

And the product of all factors is definitely larger than n^2. Hence it must be the case that # of unique prime factors must be less than 3.

It cannot be 1 also, as then the product of all factors would equal n and not n^2.

So it has to be the case that n = a * b

where a & b are unique primes.

Hope this answer is still relevant to your query :-)
Mansoor50 wrote:

why is it assumed that that there are ONLY 2 prime factors?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
AKProdigy87 wrote:
I agree with E: n^9.

Another way to look at it (using the same methodology outlined by Bunuel in his post):

We know that the product of all the divisors of n is equivalent to n^2. Therefore, n = x * y, where x and y are both prime positive and distinct integers (as outlined by the conditions set in the original question, and explained in the previous post).

We need to determine, the product of all the divisors of n^2, which we know to be equivalent to:

\(n^2 = n * n\)

\(n^2 = (x * y)(x * y)\)

Since both x and y are known to be prime numbers, the divisors of n^2 are therefore:

\(1, x, y, xy, x^2, y^2, x^2y, xy^2,\) and \(x^2y^2\)

The product of these divisors is therefore:

\((1)(x)(y)(xy)(x^2)(y^2)(x^2y)(xy^2)(x^2y^2)\)

\(= x^9y^9\)

\(= n^9\)

great.... u made it look so easy
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 108
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41
GMAT 3: 710 Q51 V38
GMAT 4: 770 Q50 V44
GRE 1: Q164 V160
GPA: 3.25
Send PM
Why can't the answer be n^8 since the question says unique divisors.

So surely in case of n^2 you should not count n (n will not be a unique divisor to n^2 ? )
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 203 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
The factors of a number always exist in a pair except for perfect square in a sense that every pair from extreme multiply to a number. Now the product of factors of n is n^2, so if we take n as a product of two prime numbers like a and b then n=a×b and its factors are 1,a,b, a×b and product of its factor are a^2×b^2.
Now, n^2= a^2×b^2
So total number of factors of n^2 is 3×3=9 and four pair will multiply to a^2×b^2 and one factor will be a×b so product of all pairs is a^9×b^9

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
gmatpapa wrote:
If the product of all the unique positive divisors of n, a positive integer which is not a perfect cube, is \(n^2\), then the product of all the unique positive divisors of \(n^2\) is
(A) \(n^3\)
(B) \(n^4\)
(C) \(n^6\)
(D) \(n^8\)
(E) \(n^9\)

My take on it is following:
If I can find one example such that 'product of all the unique positive divisors of n is \(n^2\)' (n not a perfect cube), I will just find the product of all unique positive divisors of \(n^2\) and get the answer.

So what do the factors of n listed out look like?
1 .. .. .. .. n

1 and n are definitely factors of n so out of the required product,\(n^2\), one n is already accounted for. I need only one more n and hence I must have 2 factors in the middle.
e.g.
1, 2, 3, 6 (6 is not a perfect cube but product of all factors of 6 is 36. So I got the one example I was looking for.)
\(36 = 2^2*3^2\)
So it will have 9 factors. Four pairs of factors equidistant from the beg and end will give the product 36 (i.e. n^2). Factor in the middle will be 6 i.e. n.
Hence product of all factors of 36 will be \(n^8*n = n^9\).

If there are doubts in this theory, check out https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2010/12/quarter-wit-quarter-wisdom-factors-of-perfect-squares/

How can we conclusively say that there must be only 2 factors in the middle? Please help.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 227
Send PM
If the product of all the unique positive divisors of n, a positive in [#permalink]
I hate that n counts as a divisor of n. It's just "meh". Not taking this into account made it unnecessarily hard for me to find n. However, I finally found 28, but of course ended up with the wrong answer, again not counting n as a divisor of n.

28 = 2, 4, 7, 14
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [0]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
If the product of all the unique positive divisors of n, a positive in [#permalink]
What a tough question.

N is made up prime factors.

When we multiple all the Factors of N (which are themselves composed of all the different arrangements of prime factors) ———> the Product result = (N)^2

I started from the perfect square and worked backwards.

Using 4, 9, or 25 ———> the only unique factors that make up the perfect square are the Prime Number that is the square root and the Number itself

Thus, for (N)^2 = 25, for example, the unique factors are: 1 , 5, and 25

The corresponding value for N would be 5: factors of 5 are only 1 and 5.

1 * 5 does not equal 25 ——I.e., the Product of the factors of N do not multiply to (N)^2 if N is a Prime Number.

Thus we are looking for a Perfect Square that is NOT a Prime Number Squared

Let’s try to make N with the 2 smallest prime numbers: 2 and 3

If N = (2)(3) = 6

All the unique factors of N are: 1, 2, 3, and 6

1 * 2 * 3 * 6 = 36 = (N)^2

Works!

So we are looking for a Number N whose Prime Factorization is of the form:

N = p * k

Where p and k are 2 different prime factors.

The Divisors of N are all the different arrangements of the Prime Factors

Multiplying these arrangements ——> 1 * (p) * (k) * (pk) = (p)^2 * (k)^2 ———-> which is (N)^2

Now let’s take all the factors of (N)^2 and see what the result is:

Using 36 as an example again:

All the Unique Divisors of any Number will just be all the different arrangements we can make with the Prime Factors that make up the number’s prime factorization.

The prime factors are like “building blocks” and we use them to put together each Unique Divisor.

(2)^0 (3)^0 * (2)^0 (3)^1 * (2)^0 (3)^2

* (2)^1 (3)^0 * (2)^1 (3)^1 * (2)^1 (3)^2

* (2)^2 (3)^0 * (2)^2 (3)^1 * (2)^2 (3)^2

= (2)^9 (3)^9

= (N)^9

(E)

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
Send PM
Hi,

I believe this to be a simple and in-depth solution to this problem which doesn't require the memorization of any special rules, except the common prime factorization principle:

Any number n has n as factor, meaning the product of the remaining unique factors must equal n. But we know that their product already yielded n, meaning that there can be no other factors except ones such that the remaining factors equal n -> we have a number which consists of exactly 2 prime numbers to the power of 1.

Here is an example:

n=10 -> Factors are 2,5,10. We said that any number contains itself as factor, and the remaining factors must equal n=10. Removing the 10, we are left with 2 and 5, which yield 10! Now we can directly see that this is possible if we have a number n which consists of 2 unique primes to the power of 1. Why? Try it with 3 unique primes to the power of one, you will get too many factors.

We don't have to proof anything further, since we found a group of numbers (as defined above) which fulfill the requirements. Take n=6 and test the formula. We get 2,3,6,9,12,18,36 as unique factors of n^2=36, and in total, we can write that product as 6^9.

Hence (E)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
The formula for finding the product of all factor of a Number n is = \(n^{Total Number of factors/2}\)
Total number of factors of a number n with prime factors \(X,Y\)

Prime factors \(n = X^{a}*Y^{b}\)
Total number of factors including prime and compound factors = \((a+1)*(b+1)\)

with the above formulas in place let us a number with only prime factors as the main factors to satisfy the condition in the question stem

\(6=2*3\)
Product of all factors = \(1*2*3*6 = 6^{2}\)
So 6 satisfies the question

now we have to find the product of the factors of \(6^{2}\)

which can be written as product of primes \(= 2^{2}*3^{2}\)
Total factors = \((2+1)*(2+1) = 9\)

From the formula above the product of all factors is \(n^{Total Number of factors/2}\)
or
\(36^{\frac9 2}\)
\((6^{2})^{\frac9 2}\)
\(6^{9}\)
so the answer is \(n^{9}\) or \(E\)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
If the product of all the unique positive divisors of n, a positive integer that is not a perfect cube, is\( n^2\), then the product of all the unique positive divisors of \(n^2\) is

For every divisor of a number n if x is a divisor there exists another divisor in the form such that: \(\left(\frac{n}{x}\right)\) . Unless the number is a perfect square.

Hence we have ordered pairs of divisors such that the product is equal to n.

Since it is given that the product of the divisors is equal to \(n^2\).

This is possible if the divisors are in the form : \(\left(1,\ a,\ b,\ n\right)\) where n = ab.

Hence all the possible unique divisors for \(\left(a^2b^2\right)\) \(\left(1,\ a,\ b,\ a^2,b^2,a^2b^2,\ a^2b,\ ab^2,ab\right)\)

The product is given by : \(\left(ab\right)^9\)

Hence this is equal to \(n^9\)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 760 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmatpapa wrote:
If the product of all the unique positive divisors of n, a positive integer which is not a perfect cube, is n^2, then the product of all the unique positive divisors of n^2 is

(A) \(n^3\)
(B) \(n^4\)
(C) \(n^6\)
(D) \(n^8\)
(E) \(n^9\)

Let n = a^x * b^y * c^z ... where a, b, c, ... are primes

Product of the unique positive divisors (factors) of a number n equals n^(F/2), where F is the number of factors of n
Number of factors of n = (x+1)(y+1)(z+1) ... = F

Thus, n^(F/2) = n^2
=> F/2 = 2
=> F = 4

Thus, n has 4 factors
=> n = a^1 * b^1 [since number of factors would be (1+1)(1+1) = 4]
Or n = a^3 [since number of factors would be (3+1) = 4]

However, we know that n is NOT a cube.
Hence, n = a * b
=> n^2 = a^2 * b^2
Number of factors of n^2 = (2+1)(2+1) = 9
Thus, product of the factors = (n^2)^(9/2) = n^9

Answer E
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
Math Expert
92948 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts